Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Default My Project : Kontrol Fighter

Hello,

I'm KissKong from France, so I'm sorry if my sentences are not clear but I try to explain properly my project !

I'm 23, and I'm a DJ. I want to make my custom Midi Controller for my sets. I use a Kontrol S4, a Kontrol X1 and a Korg NanoPad.

I want to make a Midi controller to replace the Kontrol X1 and the Nanopad :

So to replace the pads of the Korg Nanopad I want to use Arcade Button like a MidiFighter from DJtechtool.

I want to use also another parts like touch strip.

My project has 64 leds, 8 potentiometers, and 35 switches.

For this reason, I should use 2 midi boards. I planned to use a M-audio Midisport adapter to have an USB port, and I planned to use the 5V of this USB to powered the both boards, it's will be ok ?

The first midi board will be for the 8 potentiometers (inputs 16 to 23) and the first Matrix of 35 switches (7 date lines x 5 select lines - inputs 0 to 11).

The second midi board will be for the second Matrix of 64 Leds (8x8 - inputs 0 to 15).

I precise that the 8 potentiometers includes 5 classical potentiometers, and 3 touch strips like this :

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...eter-50mm.aspx

I know yet that I should program each midi board separately, but I don't know how program them (code and with the computer, there is a software ?)

For the Switches Matrix I should use diodes for each switch ? If more than one button is pressed at once they don't interfere with each other ? What type of diodes I should use ?

First of all, could you help me for programming the boards please ?

thanks for reading, sorry again if my sentences are not clear.

KissKong
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM

I've just find this :

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=280

This will be help me.

Now if you could help me for the code

and for my questions about the diodes with each switch, and probably I will have others questions...

Thanks.

Last edited by KissKong; 05-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Hi KissKong, welcome.

Can you tell me what information should be displayed by the 64 LEDs? We should consider this before continuing.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM

Hello,

It's just on/off for each Led.

They light according my Mapping with my DJ software. (so just on or off)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Can you please explain what you mean by "mapping with my DJ software" ? While the MIDICPU will do what you want to do with the first board use you described (pots and switches), I am not sure it may be the correct solution for what the LEDs are supposed to represent.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM

"mapping with my DJ software" = I configure the lighting of each led with my DJ software thanks to the CC code of each led into the matrix
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKong View Post
"mapping with my DJ software" = I configure the lighting of each led with my DJ software thanks to the CC code of each led into the matrix
Ok. This functionality is not available from the MIDI CPU--sorry. Do you want the LEDs to respond only to output from software? Or should they respond both to software output and to switch activity on the MIDI CPU?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 AM

oh :/

Yes I want the LEDs to respond only to output from my DJ software (Traktor)

But it's possible to program the CPU in order to have a CC code, or a Midi Note for each led ? In this way I could control Led with the software.

When you said :

"Or should they respond both to software output and to switch activity on the MIDI CPU"

It's because there is a possibility to do what I want with this solution ?

But so it's not possible to control LEDs thanks to a software, what is the utility of a matrix led ? I don't understand... :/

Thanks

Last edited by KissKong; 05-03-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM

With the current firmware functionality (up to 1.3), the MIDI CPU can't alter its LED states in response to MIDI input.

What it can do is control the LEDs in response to control terminal input (like potentiometers, encoders, switches). Here again there is a limitation--matrixed switches can't be used to control LEDs, only switches wired directly to control terminals (one switch per control terminal). Allowing matrixed switches to control LED states is something that definitely should be added in ~1.4.

Sorry for the limitations--I am still learning of new use cases for the MIDI CPU that were not considered at design time.

The more immediate possibility is a firmware update for the MD24 that allows matrixed LEDs. The MD24 is made for decoding MIDI (the MIDI CPU for encoding) and is a good fit for that feature.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM

If I understand, for my project I should use a Midi CPU for potentiometers and switch matrix, and for the Led a MD24 ?

It's possible to connect a Midi CPU and a MD24 in order to have just one USB (with an adaptateur MIDI - USB) ?

I will modifie my project to add some led directly in serie with a switch, but I always need to control 48 leds with Midi, so with the MD24 it's possible to do a Matrix Led (48 leds) ? Or just 24 leds ?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissKong View Post
If I understand, for my project I should use a Midi CPU for potentiometers and switch matrix, and for the Led a MD24 ?

It's possible to connect a Midi CPU and a MD24 in order to have just one USB (with an adaptateur MIDI - USB) ?
That should work well. You can connect as follows:

MIDI CPU MIDI Out -> Computer MIDI In
Computer MIDI Out -> MD24 MIDI In

Quote:
I will modifie my project to add some led directly in serie with a switch, but I always need to control 48 leds with Midi, so with the MD24 it's possible to do a Matrix Led (48 leds) ? Or just 24 leds ?
At the moment, only direct LED control is possible with the MD24. (24 LEDs per MD24). I hope to add matrixed LED output in the near future, which would allow for up to 128 matrixed LEDs.

At the moment, for 48 LEDs, you could chain together 2 MD24 boards:

Computer MIDI Out -> MD24(A) MIDI In
MD24(A) MIDI Thru -> MD24(B) MIDI In
Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks for your response.

For my project, I think I will use an other board from an other brand, I think use the Build V2 from Livid Instrument. It's not because your MIDI CPU is not good, just because today the board don't permit me to do what I want.

Thanks again for your help !

KissKong