Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Back to try again.

My project lost steam last year but I'm trying again.
Here's what I'm trying to achieve.

One Octave of 12 push buttons playing notes C1 to B#1 - MIDI note 36 to 48
I have a 4x4 Switch Matrix with 9 terminals labled G1234ABCD, I sort of got it to do something, but I think I've either wired it wrong or it needs some sysex magic doing to it.

I would like to put a light sensor in the circuit that effects the velocity of these notes.

Four Pots, CC#71, CC#72, CC#73, CC#74
These Control virtual rotaries on a device called the combinator in Reason. Once I control these I can program their funtion within reason

Four Switches CC#75, CC#76, CC#77, CC#78 (May be swapped for Pots so could be treated as such)
These are, as above, buttons for the Combinator. The can respond to pots controlling them and a value of 63 or more turns them on. However, as there is a limitation on the number of pots that can be use, these can be switches.

Slide Pot Mod Wheel Midi CC#1
The Mod wheel is always something handy to have control of. This would be great with a light sensor

Slide Pot Master Volume Midi CC#7
Any devices in reason with it's own level is controlled by this cc.

6pots, 4switches

CC#61Pot, CC#62Pot, CC#63switch, CC#67switch (//thor's rotaries and buttons)
Thor is a programmable synth so, like the combinator, these are good for live user input to manipulate.

8pots, 6switches and a 4x4 matrix with a global velocity doodah.

Stumbling Blocks

I don't have the space to lay it all out in front of me and have a good think.
I'm struggling to get my head round coding and I still dont have anything practical to house the project in.
So essentially what I'm saying is, Help!
At least now I'm clear on what I want to achive, I think. any help would be great.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:53 AM

No love for this project?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Hi PushedButton,

I apologize for the slow response. This looks cool to me.

I'd recommend making a list of control terminals 0-23 and what function will be assigned to each. That will help us to get a feel for how everything might be set up. Once we get a list that looks good, we can make a wiring diagram. And then, a configuration sysex.

I think we'll have no trouble getting this implemented. If you can post that list, I'll review it and make suggestions if I see something that won't work.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Some things to remember:

Only control terminal #s 8-13 and 16-23 can be used as analog inputs (pots or light detectors).

If you have 4 data lines for the switch matrix, assign them to CT 0-3, 4-7, 8-11, 12-15, 16-19, or 20-23.

Switch matrix select lines can be anywhere except for CT #19.

Non-matrixed switches can go anywhere you like.

Hope this helps to get things started.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 AM

0 Switch Matrix Date 1 [#36, 37, 38, 39
1 Switch Matrix Date 2 [#40, 41, 42, 44
2 Switch Matrix Date 3 [#45, 46, 47, 48
3 Switch Matrix Date 4 [#49, 50, 51, 52
4 Switch Matrix Select 1
5 Switch Matrix Select 2
6 Switch Matrix Select 3
7 Switch Matrix Select 4
8 Pot [cc#71
9 Pot [cc#72
10 Pot [cc#73
11 Pot [cc#74
12 Pot [cc#75
13 Pot [cc#76
16 Pot [cc#77
17 Pot [cc#78
18 Pot [cc#1
19 Pot [cc#7
20 Pot [cc#61
21 Pot [cc#62
22 Pot [cc#63
23 Pot [cc#67

16 midi notes, not 12 from a 4x4 matrix doh.

Can't think what to use the 2 spare terminals for yet...

Did i do it right?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM

That looks pretty reasonable -- you don't HAVE to use all the inputs
Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
That looks pretty reasonable -- you don't HAVE to use all the inputs
But I could put an encoder across 14 and 15 right?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM

Yes you could
Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yes you could
Awesome, my project is built...in my head. Time for a good long think...see you in a few weeks I guess, na really I'm gonna get proactive on the puppy as soon as I can. maybe even this weekend.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedButton View Post
Awesome, my project is built...in my head. Time for a good long think...see you in a few weeks I guess, na really I'm gonna get proactive on the puppy as soon as I can. maybe even this weekend.
Great to hear it. Please don't hesitate to post your configuration sysex and/or wiring diagram if you'd like the benefit of another set of eyes.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Great to hear it. Please don't hesitate to post your configuration sysex and/or wiring diagram if you'd like the benefit of another set of eyes.

Just thought I'd share a snap. I've got more holes that jack plugs at the moment but I'll have a wander to maplin later and see if the one who knows what he's on about is in.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Right there's just a couple of things...
I've not committed a purpose to the encoder (14-15) yet but I also have in the back of my mind that some kind of global velocity control over the switch matrix would be very nice. Can I do this?

And...erm...is it really as simple as i think or have a overlooked some issues that'll come back to bite me? The plan is to run power around the inner rim of the bin using copper tape connected to the tip pin and the ground it using another strip around the inside of the pots then harvest the signal from the centre pins on the stereo jacks using a man called terry, who will hook these all up to a 16 pin socket which goes to MIDI CPU's analogue terminals.
Then, trough the magic of real ale, head scratching and soldering, connect the 4x4 matrix to the 8 remaining terminals (0-7) [and...erm...ground?, power?- the one that doesn't make it blow up) and hijack the underside of the buttons to feed to 3.5" mono jacks that will work as bypass switches.

If that's all ok so for I'd like a way to globally control the velocity from the switch matrix and I could do with a clue.

Hopefully from there I'll have a breakout box that I can make things for. I've not got to this bridge yet but I'm hoping to be able to come up with a set of switches and pots that are interchangeable without too much messing about.
No doubt I'll come across enough problems in my own sweet time but (and please bare in mind I'm a novice) please let me know if you foresee anything that will spoil my day.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 AM

yes you can do a global velocity using an analog input -- the note on command last parameter can be a fixed value or it can point to an analog input register
Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Just thought I'd share a snap. I've got more holes that jack plugs at the moment but I'll have a wander to maplin later and see if the one who knows what he's on about is in.
I like the creative enclosure!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I like the creative enclosure!
thanks , sorry about the picture size. It's handy for keeping all the bits and pieces in until I can get it all together.

I realise I've practically wired this up in my head but what do you use to draw a wiring diagram?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
thanks , sorry about the picture size. It's handy for keeping all the bits and pieces in until I can get it all together.

I realise I've practically wired this up in my head but what do you use to draw a wiring diagram?
I use Corel Draw, if I want something that is very presentable. There are some similar free programs of varying quality.

If you just need to sketch out an idea to share it on the forum, you can just use a bold roller pen on white paper, and then take a snapshot.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM

####UPDATE####
The guy with the soldering iron is unsure about using the back of the 4x4 switch matrix to hijack it. This is down to the pins being rather small and fiddly and he wants to see a schematic of it for some reason, even though I just want some wires soldering on it.
I see his point, he's more into RC Cars and I'm sure he's got better things to be doing. so is there any way to make this task easier, for example, is there a more accessible switch matrix available thank the wrobot 4x4 on the market?

Edit:

Thinking about it, if I got another 4x4 matrix and snipped all the buttons off would I be able to make the 2 sets of buttons work together without using more terminals on the midi cpu? I have a vague idea about how a switch matrix works but no practical experience.

Last edited by PushedButton; 06-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM

can you post some pictures of the 4x4 matrix you are trying to use or a reference to a datasheet from where you got it. The matrix itself should come out to a set of 8 pins -- 4 go to your data lines and 4 to the select lines on the midiCPU. You shouldn't have to hijack it.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
can you post some pictures of the 4x4 matrix you are trying to use or a reference to a datasheet from where you got it. The matrix itself should come out to a set of 8 pins -- 4 go to your data lines and 4 to the select lines on the midiCPU. You shouldn't have to hijack it.
It's just one of these,

but I want to have 16 jack's rather than switches, but that I decided it would be good to have a central panel to test the triggers work correctly before I plug experimental triggers in. I know I don't have to hijack it, I want to or if I cant hijack it i want to duplicate it's functions somehow without using up more terminals on the cpu.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 AM

That picture helps alot ! If you look at the board you will see the pins are labelled G,A,B,C,D,1,2,3,4. The G should represent a ground and is probably there for providing a loading as there are a some smd resistors at the bottom .These may be pullup resistors that might need to be removed. ABCD represents the one group of lines either the 4 vertical or 4 horizontal and 1234 represent the opposite.

Based on your earlier post you can use ABCD connected to pins 0-3 and 1234 on pins 4-7. When you go to jacks, you would wire the jacks the same way these switches are wired. It would look like this

jack 1 connects to 0 and 4
jack 2 connects to 0 and 5
jack 3 connects to 0 and 6
jack 4 connects to 0 and 7
jack 5 connects to 1 and 4
jack 6 connects to 1 and 5
jack 7 connects to 1 and 6
jack 8 connects to 1 and 7
jack 9 connects to 2 and 4

and so on I am sure you get the pattern now.

If you can see if the resistors are connected on one of their ends to one set of lines either the ABCD or the 1234. IF they are, then they are probably pullup resistors and might need to be removed for midicpu to work properly as it already has the required pullup resistors built in. Post what you find and John can confirm whether they need to be removed or not.