Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 AM

Default Indicators for Presets

Hi. I'm very new to this forum and just bought a couple of MIDI CPUs for a project: to create a MIDI interface between an Galanti Preludium II console and Hauptwerk. The PII had some issues and is missing most of the original sound generators. Looks like maybe 3 MIDI CPUs and 2 or 3 MD24s will do the job. The key scanners don't look too tricky. But I'm looking a a problem with the presets.
There are two groups of preset pistons with indicator lamps to show which piston was last operated. I will probably scan the pistons and generate a MIDI CC message which will be sent downstream to a MD24. Note that I would like this to work the same way when you operate the virtual piston in Hauptwerk. That means that the message from the decoded piston should match the command to the indicator.
Problem is that operation of one of the illuminated pistons should cancel the indicators on all of the other pistons.
I can see doing this with the "Controller bit #" definition. This just looks a little clumsy in that it allows only 7 pistons per group and also means I can't number the CC messages sequentially. Is there a better way?

Looking ahead to an interesting project,
Jim U

Last edited by Jim U; 07-18-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim U View Post
Hi. I'm very new to this forum and just bought a couple of MIDI CPUs for a project: to create a MIDI interface between an Galanti Preludium II console and Hauptwerk. The PII had some issues and is missing most of the original sound generators. Looks like maybe 3 MIDI CPUs and 2 or 3 MD24s will do the job. The key scanners don't look too tricky. But I'm looking a a problem with the presets.
There are two groups of preset pistons with indicator lamps to show which piston was last operated. I will probably scan the pistons and generate a MIDI CC message which will be sent downstream to a MD24. Note that I would like this to work the same way when you operate the virtual piston in Hauptwerk. That means that the message from the decoded piston should match the command to the indicator.
Problem is that operation of one of the illuminated pistons should cancel the indicators on all of the other pistons.
I can see doing this with the "Controller bit #" definition. This just looks a little clumsy in that it allows only 7 pistons per group and also means I can't number the CC messages sequentially. Is there a better way?

Looking ahead to an interesting project,
Jim U
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your patience. You are correct that the current MD24 output modes are a bit clumsy. A firmware update may alleviate this.

I noticed that you added a feature request for the MIDI CPU (thank you). Please feel free to do the same for the MD24.