Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-12-2014, 02:37 AM

Default MIDI activity on MD24 Rev E?

Hey there John! I'm ramping up to MIDIfy my Boss DR-110 using my MD24. I'd say I can't wait to get this working, but I actually purchased my MD24 several years ago (hence the older revision), and am only getting around to checking it out now. Before I start connecting up the DR-110, I wanted to make sure I had my head wrapped around the MD24.

I powered it up, and both the ACT and PWR LEDs blink, as expected. I plug a MIDI cable from my M-Audio ProjectMix IO's output to the input of the MD24E, and I send some note data from my Win8 PC... but the ACT LED's not blinking.

I connect a cable from the MD24's thru to the input of my Korg ER-1, and it's receiving note and program change data and all that, so MIDI should be doing its thing.

I jump JP1 and restart, and the ACT LED blinks six times, as it says it would in the manual. I try DIP switching to other MIDI channels. I try playing notes from my Poly Evolver Keyboard. I can't get the activity light to show, so next up, I hook my voltmeter up to Output 0 & ground, but triggering note 60 in MIDI doesn't appear to register any effect on the meter. I try sending some sysex across with my old friend MIDI-OX - no sign of activity.

Is there something else I can do to test functionality before I wire this into my drum machine?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the awesome work.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
Hey there John! I'm ramping up to MIDIfy my Boss DR-110 using my MD24. I'd say I can't wait to get this working, but I actually purchased my MD24 several years ago (hence the older revision), and am only getting around to checking it out now. Before I start connecting up the DR-110, I wanted to make sure I had my head wrapped around the MD24.

I powered it up, and both the ACT and PWR LEDs blink, as expected. I plug a MIDI cable from my M-Audio ProjectMix IO's output to the input of the MD24E, and I send some note data from my Win8 PC... but the ACT LED's not blinking.

I connect a cable from the MD24's thru to the input of my Korg ER-1, and it's receiving note and program change data and all that, so MIDI should be doing its thing.

I jump JP1 and restart, and the ACT LED blinks six times, as it says it would in the manual. I try DIP switching to other MIDI channels. I try playing notes from my Poly Evolver Keyboard. I can't get the activity light to show, so next up, I hook my voltmeter up to Output 0 & ground, but triggering note 60 in MIDI doesn't appear to register any effect on the meter. I try sending some sysex across with my old friend MIDI-OX - no sign of activity.

Is there something else I can do to test functionality before I wire this into my drum machine?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the awesome work.
Hi Leviathant, welcome to the forum.

The activity LED on the Rev E MD24 will blink only when MIDI data is received that affects the output state of the MD24.

By default, the MD24 responds to MIDI notes 60-83. (#60 is middle C.)

Before powering the MD24 on, set all the DIP switches to the "off" position. The MD24 will respond to MIDI channel 1.

Try sending notes 60-83 on channel 1. You should see an activity indication and you should be able to observe the output voltages changing from 0 to 5V with the corresponding note.

Let me know if this helps.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hi Leviathant, welcome to the forum.

The activity LED on the Rev E MD24 will blink only when MIDI data is received that affects the output state of the MD24.

By default, the MD24 responds to MIDI notes 60-83. (#60 is middle C.)

Before powering the MD24 on, set all the DIP switches to the "off" position. The MD24 will respond to MIDI channel 1.

Try sending notes 60-83 on channel 1. You should see an activity indication and you should be able to observe the output voltages changing from 0 to 5V with the corresponding note.

Let me know if this helps.
Yup, at first when I went back and re-read the manual, that had given me hope, that maybe I wasn't sending the right notes on the right channel, or the right Sysex. So I tried sending the notes from Reaper, sent some Sysex through MIDI-OX, and didn't get any response from the board. I swapped cables, just in case, and tested sending note data on channel 1 to my DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard, and that played back fine. Conversely, I set the Poly Evolver Keyboard to output on channel 1, and plugged its MIDI out into the MD24, and basically ran up and down the keybed, without any response.

I can post video of what I'm doing if that helps. I think at this point, it's a weird enough issue that it's probably less trouble if I just pick up the newest one - or maybe sign up for the prototype and wait til that gets done.