Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Default MIDISpeak & Math problem

Hey

I've just installed a MIDISpeak into my Speak & Math machine. It's triggering sounds but when I arrange a looped sequence, it isn't consistently playing that sequence (if that makes any sense?) It'll miss the odd sound, drop out occasionally and sometimes add a random sound. I've got a pitch mod installed (up and down) and when I pitch it up, I get a much more consistent sequence each time it loops. The lower the pitch, the more it drops out. I've tried disconnecting the pitch mod completely but the problem persists. Any thoughts?

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/user/JackofTradesMusic
Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades_Music View Post
Hey

I've just installed a MIDISpeak into my Speak & Math machine. It's triggering sounds but when I arrange a looped sequence, it isn't consistently playing that sequence (if that makes any sense?) It'll miss the odd sound, drop out occasionally and sometimes add a random sound. I've got a pitch mod installed (up and down) and when I pitch it up, I get a much more consistent sequence each time it loops. The lower the pitch, the more it drops out. I've tried disconnecting the pitch mod completely but the problem persists. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hmm...well, in general, the pitch mod definitely can affect MIDI response, especially at lower pitches. This seems to vary a bit, possibly by Speak model or even by pcb revision. There may not be a remedy for that.

Also, occasionally I have come across a Speak & Math that had this problem, even at "normal" pitches. I suspect there is a certain revision of Speak & Math which doesn't play well with the MIDISpeak. If you can report the TI pcb revision, it might help to isolate the problem over time.

Sorry for not having a better solution--let me know if you don't have an alternative host in which to install the MIDISpeak.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Aye, 'normal' pitch and below doesn't trigger very well. It works well at higher pitch though so it's still useable. Besides, I don't have another S&M, my S&S is already midified and I have another MIDISpeak waiting to go into my S&R. I actually discarded a previous MIDISpeak for my S&M thinking that I'd killed it during assembly - it didn't have the pitch mod at the time so now I'm thinking it was probably ok Ah well, I did a neater job this time anyway.

Speak & Math*s* PCB Code 1040675-15

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/JackofTradesMusic

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades_Music; 02-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM

hello john

I have try the midispeak with new composant , in my speak and math ,

It just write "bbbbbbbbbbbbbb"
and the pad is not work
and no sound

i have me too the pcb Code 1040675-15

I have fullcore 0.2 mm for the wires not long for the connection
I have try with a lot of composante of my midispeak good work on my dictée magique .
I don't understand ...

# Voltage across C4 should be 5V or the same as the battery terminals, whichever is less. If not, there is a short circuit on the MIDISpeak, or the MIDISpeak is not receiving power.

voltmetre + batterie + and - c4 - ---> 4.88 volt

# Voltage on pins 11-16 of IC1 should be the same as the voltage on C4. If not, the microcontroller may not be functioning. Send email to support@highlyliquid.com.

this is 2.50 volt , is normaly ????

thanks

Last edited by R-MiT; 05-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM

It seems there is almost certainly some sort of error in the connections between the MIDISpeak and the host.

Can you disconnect the wires "keypad 1 & 3" and check for improved function? You can leave these disconnected for the purposes of continued troubleshooting.

Please double-check all of the "rom/bus" wires. You might disconnect each until the characters on the host's screen are eliminated. Then we can focus on the single connection that is causing the trouble.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 PM

when no pad connection and no glitch connection S&M work perfectly , i try again , wires by wires ,
what is the prodecur for connect wires by wires ?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-MiT View Post
when no pad connection and no glitch connection S&M work perfectly , i try again , wires by wires ,
what is the prodecur for connect wires by wires ?
You should be able to connect each separately to see if one in particular causes the problem. This assumes that the power wiring remains intact.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM

hello

when i connect separately if i see the caractere change of the S&M is in correct use ?
because i see in connect separatly wires by wires make bbbbbbbbb on screen
the 6 glitch connect make the b - after _ etc for make bbbbbbbbb
and the 2 pad connect make don't use the pad .
i don't understand the first kit work perfectly on my Dictée magique .

Last edited by R-MiT; 05-13-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Can you swap the IC1 from the working MIDISpeak to see if that makes any difference?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 PM

hello

i have finish my speak and math but it's make a strange sound , i don't have the sound of your exemple when i press a key it start a strange loops with strange noise and it's don't stop and the other key is this sound ... i don't undestand .

what is the problem , the speak and math ?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Do you still have the problem with the characters on the screen?

Quote:
hello

i have finish my speak and math but it's make a strange sound , i don't have the sound of your exemple when i press a key it start a strange loops with strange noise and it's don't stop and the other key is this sound ... i don't undestand .

what is the problem , the speak and math ?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 AM

i have build this module on a dictée magique and is in perfec use , this is the speak math ^^
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
i have build this module on a dictée magique and is in perfec use , this is the speak math ^^
Yes, I understand that you have a working installation with the dictée magique.

But on the Speak & Math, are you still having problems with excess characters on the screen? This indicates some type of installation wiring problem.

Also, there are some instances of a Speak & Math not working correctly with the MIDISpeak. But I'm not sure from your description if you have a case of device incompatibility, or some sort of installation problem instead.