Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Default UMR with Casio MT-400V

There have been several questions regarding the compatibility of the Casio MT-400V keyboard with the UMR MIDI retrofit.

I haven't had the opportunity to inspect an MT-400V in person, but it looks like a good candidate for the UMR.

Anyone attempting the install can use the information to give it a try:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=4

I would do my best to support anyone attempting the install.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Default MT-400V Photo

Photo of the 400V pcb should be attached.

What would be the best way to find the +5V and ground connections on the PCB?
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3 View Post
Photo of the 400V pcb should be attached.

What would be the best way to find the +5V and ground connections on the PCB?
Power up the keyboard and set your multimeter to the "DC voltage" function.

On a circuit board like this, the ground and 5V rails can be found by checking the wider copper traces. Look for a pair of wide traces that measure 5V.

Ground & 5V are connected to many components across the circuit board, so look for traces that connect to large numbers of pins.

Focus the search near the digital components (rather than the analog audio circuitry near the audio connectors).

Specifically, I'd check the two adjacent horizontal wide traces in the center of my cropped image.

If you have found the right traces, you can disconnect power from the keyboard and use the multimeter "continuity test" function to see what other traces are connected (there are wire jumpers on the opposite side that join them). If you have identified the correct traces, they will reach all over the board and you can choose the connection point that is the most convenient.
Attached Images

Last edited by John; 03-02-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks John! I just received my other UMR kit so I will start this soon. I see that the UMR kit will work with a Casio MT-210 in the "scan low" configuration? Is there any chance that this same configuration and I/O connections would work with the MT-400V you think?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3 View Post
Thanks John! I just received my other UMR kit so I will start this soon. I see that the UMR kit will work with a Casio MT-210 in the "scan low" configuration? Is there any chance that this same configuration and I/O connections would work with the MT-400V you think?
It's possible that the MT-400V requires an identical configuration, but I would not risk "guessing". There is a risk of damaging the UMR and/or the MT-400V if the UMR configuration & wiring are incorrect.

If you can post a sketch of the matrix used in the MT-400V (or confirm that it is indeed identical to the MT-210), that will help us to determine the correct configuration. You'll have to unbolt the MT-400V keyswitch pcb and look at the traces & diodes to be sure.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 AM

John,

O.k., I was able to locate the +5V and ground on the PCB in the area you suggested, thanks!

I got to the keyswitch PCB and took a look at the traces and diodes. The keyswitch PCB looks pretty close to the MT-210 keyswitch PCB, but is not a perfect match. It looks like it does share the similarity of having 8 select lines connected to groups of 6 each w/ the 9th select line connected to a single key.

Where do you think I should go from here? Sorry for the poor quality on the photos-

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM

bc3,

Take a look at the schematic for the MT-210 from the keyboard switch matrix library page:

http://support.codeandcopper.com/hl/...trix-large.jpg

Can you confirm that the matrix scheme is the same? You'll probably have to use a continuity tester along with visual inspection. Importantly--are the diodes oriented with the same polarity?

Then, make a list of the pin #s on the ribbon cable and write down the function for each (like select1, select2, ... select9 and data1, data2, ... data6).

Once we have the matrix scheme and pins identified, it is a snap to wire them to the UMR.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Well... I was hoping for an answer of "looks good, go ahead and hook up the UMR!". I will look into it further this weekend and keep you posted. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Hey any news on this? My UMR has just being shipped. As soon as its here (Germany, may take a few weeks), i'll plan to stick this thingy into my CT 410V (which is technically mostly identical to the MT 400V AFAICT).
Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 PM

No, I ended up installing the UMR in my Casio SK-5 instead that I wanted to circuit bend as well. I still want to try the UMR in the MT-400V, but have not had the time. If you need help the moderator on this forum was very helpful.
Best of luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Unhappy No Luck :(

Hi,

today my UMR Kit finally arrived.
Tonight I made the first try to build it into my CT-410V which unfortunately failed.

First I discovered that the CT-410V seems to use "Scan Low", and built the UMR accordingly.

Name:  Foto-1.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  97.5 KB

As you can see on the Image, the "Main" PCB is the same as in the MT-400v. Below the white 15-line ribbon cable there is a small PCB that just reorders those 15 lines into 2 groups of 6 and 9 lines (transparent ribbon cables) which go to the Key switch PCBs below.
Those are numbered with 1-6 and 1-9. I assumed that 1-6 are the data lines, and 1-9 are the select lines, so I hooked everything up to the UMR.

I made sure that the DIP switches were set to 6 data lines.

What I discovered when I switched on the keyboard for testing, was that pressing keys yielded to strange behaviour. Various notes playing, Rhythms started and stopped, even the Style was switched when pressing some keys.

Switching scan speed to fast didn't help. Powering up the UMR after switching on the Keyboard didn't help either. Actually the strange behaviour described happend even when the UMRs GND and 5V lines were not connected at all.

Any ideas what could have caused the described symptoms? Tomorrow I will try to take the PCBs out so that I can actually analyse the whole Keyswitch PCB.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM

In some cases it is possible for the UMR to receive power thru the select/data lines (the UMR is not really designed to be powered that way, however), so that probably explains the operation with the power lines disconnected.

If you can post a diagram of the keyboard switch matrix, I'll be able to give a little more insight into what might be happening.

If it turns out that you have everything right, it could be that the UMR is not compatible due to the matrix scan speed of the host's microcontroller. But I don't have the information at this point to be sure of what is causing the problem.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Hi,

The Problem was: It actually is scan-high. I changed the configuration of the UMR, took out all the key matrix pcb, traced everything, and noted down the data/select lines. I hooked everything up, switched it on, and see, the strange behaviour is gone.

But it still does not play notes when sending MIDI.

I hope I did not fry the UMR with trying in scan-low config first. How can I make sure it is still working?
Midi-LED flashing when receiving Note-On/Off and Power LED is on.

I measured the resistor networks, to be sure that I didn't damage them when soldering out and in again. I got 10k beween pin 1 and the others, and 20k between the others on both RNs I had to change. Correct?

What scared me a bit is that the Bag my UMR was in there is a sticker with "CS01-MIDI" printed on it?!?

Did you send me the wrong unit? The Number on the CPU is 4812.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielow View Post
What scared me a bit is that the Bag my UMR was in there is a sticker with "CS01-MIDI" printed on it?!?

Did you send me the wrong unit? The Number on the CPU is 4812.
Sure sounds like the wrong kit. Luckily, we can fix the problem by sending a replacement microcontroller IC with the UMR firmware rather than the CS01-MIDI firmware.

Please send a PM to confirm your shipping address and we'll ship a replacement IC. I apologize for the error.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Unhappy

Hi,

@John, thank you very much for your great support so far. The replacement chip arrived today, and I already tried it. But unfortunately it is still not working properly.
If I send MIDI Data to the Keyboard, the UMR midi activity led flashes, but no sound is played.

But: If I press a key, the sound gets retriggered when receiving the corresponding midi note, but only as long as I hold down the key.

I think my next try will be to test the UMR in my RAP-1 or DM-100 which are "documented installs" to make sure the UMR itself is working.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Nielow-
Please keep this thread going and I hope you have success getting the UMR to work in you MT-410V! I'm going to go ahead and order another UMR kit for my MT-400V and give it a try myself. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM

UMR kits back ordered till October 1st!! Lame!!
Should have ordered two when I had the chance
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Hey there,

I was curious is anyone had any luck getting the MT-400v (or 410) to work with UMR? The synth would be so much more useful with midi!

thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM

I have more confidence that the new UMR2 will work. We'll have to reopen the discussion when it becomes available. More info here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=649
Old 07-27-2015, 03:48 PM

Hi. Any luck with this yet?
Closed Thread