Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MD24

Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Firmware 2.0 Features Discussion

The newly redesigned MD24 features field-upgradeable firmware, like the MIDI CPU and MSA.

The new upgradeable hardware will begin shipping May 2nd. Here's a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highlyliquid/5644416734/

I'd like to open this thread to feature requests for the first firmware update. Some things that will be explored:

- Fixed-length-pulse output modes
- More general-purpose PWM output useful for things like light dimming and simple motor control, in addition to the existing servo control functionality.
- "Learn Mode" configuration that does not require sysex messaging.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by John; 04-22-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
- "Learn Mode" configuration that does not require sysex messaging.
Hi John, the learn mode has me intrigued. Can you elaborate how you would initiate a learn of the note scale being used, and what the trigger is?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 04-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Hi Jeff,

Take a look at the latest MSA firmware manual (3.1 as of this writing) and look at section 2.1. It describes how the MSA "learns" certain notes or other messages and assigns them to the outputs.

The MD24 could work in a similar way.

Here's a feature diagram for the new revision. A switch attached to one of the "program" terminals could initiate a special learn procedure.

Last edited by John; 04-28-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM

Hardware user manual now available:

http://support.codeandcopper.com/hl/...ware-Rev-G.pdf
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to babescu_mircea
Default hello

good job
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM

Which of the 3 inputs would allow me to do the MIDI note "learn"? Or is that a future firmware update? If so could you hold the 2 kits I ordered today until that update? MIDI learn has to be my favorite feature as of late.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:14 PM

I can figure out how to update the firmware myself when it is ready.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjbenting View Post
Which of the 3 inputs would allow me to do the MIDI note "learn"? Or is that a future firmware update? If so could you hold the 2 kits I ordered today until that update? MIDI learn has to be my favorite feature as of late.
Bryan, you'll probably use the PRGM 0 terminal to enter some kind of "learn mode". I'm not sure what the other terminals will be for--perhaps some ideas will emerge from this thread.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I think with the MSA learn mode discussion, I was wondering how to get it to learn oddball midi input (like when a key is let go). The extra program buttons could allow for more specific modes of learning not possible normally with 1 button.

An example: I imagine a cc message could activate and be learned, but what if you want the reverse to trigger another output? Press one of the other buttons (reverse learn or directionally sensitive mode?).

Or what if you wanted the middle position to trigger a note? Maybe a limited range learn mode would work? Like value 0-5 would activate output 1, 5-10 would activate output 2 and so on. That would allow one knob to trigger tons of gate outs! It would have to sense value movement and learn for a set range, then learn the next range until the knob stopped moving maybe?

It would be cool if you could switch modes, while learning. Then you could pretty much program anything really quickly.

Last edited by bryanjbenting; 05-13-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM

FEATURE REQUEST!
For DR110 triggering and sync.
7 negative pulse note triggers.
12ppqn sync from midi clock
run/stop from midi clock
reset from midi clock

maybe different divisions of sync on spare digi outs

*EDIT*
Would also like the note triggers available as positive pulses, incase I use the transistor/optomos method of switching

Ta
:#
thanks
:#

Last edited by lazenbleep; 09-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi! I don't know if you read my message , I'll copy a part of it here:

--------
I'm really interested in your systems, Inputs are ok, (I have a little knowledge of electronics, but I think I understand well enough the matrix system).

but I found that you don't support led matrix in the MD24?

that's bad, because you can get up to 128 buttons with matrixes... but if you want led feedback?

are you going to give support to led matrix anytime soon?

Thanks!.

(and sorry for my english)

---------

Cheers
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Hi Richie, welcome.

Thanks for the feature request. I think it's a good idea.

Can you tell me more about how you'd like to use the matrixed LEDs? That is, what data would you like to display, and in response to which messages?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Hi Jhon, Thanks.

The idea is get midi feedback for each led (I don't need 128! but maybe someone else ), because using it in daw for example, you always need to know the state of each button.

I mean, if I want to do something like this:

35 buttons, and 35 led with midi feedback, 16 potentiomers, all usb-powered for $50!

Its more simple and cheap buy one, than 1 midi cpu and 2 MD24s.

Don't get me wrong, I think the MD24 is great, maybe this could be a new feature or a parrallel product, but the "highly-liquid family" is lacking to something to get led matrixes.

(again sorry for my english)

Last edited by richiecano; 01-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Red face MD24 and PWM to work with solenoids

It would be totally awesome if we could get PWM to work with solenoids rather than have them just on or off, but rather have midi note velocity converted to PWM to give solenoid a louder or softer hit.

So velocity value of 127 would be a harder hit
and velocity value of 65 would be half as loud etc

Would be great if we could get this in the next firmware!! Would be useful for anyone wanting to make a robot drummer to give it a more natural feel.

thanks

Look forward to it
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Variable pulse width feature for each output

Hi,

I am new to using the MD24 but I think it is a great device and very well designed, especially compared to other decoders I have used. I like the recent upgrade to allow variable pulse widths from each output, but I would very much like to be able to program each output to a different pulse width instead of having all outputs programmed to the same pulse width. Is anyone else interested is having this feature?

Jeff
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Hi,

I am new to using the MD24 but I think it is a great device and very well designed, especially compared to other decoders I have used. I like the recent upgrade to allow variable pulse widths from each output, but I would very much like to be able to program each output to a different pulse width instead of having all outputs programmed to the same pulse width. Is anyone else interested is having this feature?

Jeff

Jeff, this is a good idea and I definitely plan to include this. Thank you for your input.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Feature requested by forum member Jeff in this thread:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=781

A servo output mode that causes the servo to maintain a default position.

Upon receipt of a note-on, the servo "wags" to a different position and holds for the duration of the note. Upon note-off, the servo returns to the default position.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Also suggested:

Note-frequency output controlled by MIDI notes.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Variable pulse width

Hi, I love all the options that the MD-24 can provide I am looking specifically for a possible ceiling on pulse width and a duty cycle of no greater than 20% which based on note frquency would have to be capped somehow. I am running a drsstc tesla coil with this http://www.easternvoltageresearch.co...e10midi_ds.pdf

Any thoughts on firmware update that includes this? I would really love to control up to 24 devices plus maybe two tesla coils? The possibilities are endless
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM

This from the MIDI interface I am using, below: however I have had issues with this interface and has gone CW (continuous wave) and I've shorted several of my Bridge Rectifiers during the event. So perhaps another suggestion for firmware update would include some sort of protection?

Pulsewidth protection circuitry monitors each input modulator pulse and compares it to a user programmable maximum pulsewidth limit. If the modulator pulsewidth exceeds the preset maximum pulsewidth limit, the output pulse will be truncated to the maximum pulsewidth length. This ensures that the output of the controller will never operate at high or 100% duty (CW.) Specialized logic also ensures that the output pulse cannot be retriggered during a fault condition.
Maximum pulsewidth protection circuitry is done externally with discrete components and is independent of the microcontroller. This ensures that if the microcontroller locks-up or fails, that a CW condition is never seen at the output of the MIDI interface card.