Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MD24

Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Default Fixed programmable note length for MD24 Rev G

I have "ported" this update to the newer MD24 Rev G.

The Rev G is field-upgradeable via MIDI sysex message. Attached is the firmware update sysex file--I'm calling this version "1.4", but the functionality is the same as what is described in the Firmware 1.2 user manual.

To update the firmware:

1. Connect the "PRGM 0" terminal to ground before power-up and hold the connection until the update is complete. You'll notice the ACT LED turns red while waiting for the complete update sysex.

2. Send the firmware update sysex just as you would a control terminal configuration. SendSX works well for this. The message takes several seconds to transmit.

3. When the update is complete, the ACT LED turns off. Disconnect the PRGM0 terminal and reboot. That's it.
Attached Files
File Type: syx md24-1-4.syx (16.3 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by John; 10-14-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 AM

John,

I just tried the update proceedure as you described above. I am using Bome's SendSX and I am reasonably sure my computer is transmitting your firmware update. You had confirmed in a previous email to me, that my MD24 is field-upgradeable. The problem is that after the sysex message finishes transmitting the ACT LED just keeps flashing red. I let it continue for about 5 minutes before turning off the power. What is going on? Did my MD24 update?

Also what is the default configuration of the outputs once the MD24 is updated?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
John,

I just tried the update proceedure as you described above. I am using Bome's SendSX and I am reasonably sure my computer is transmitting your firmware update. You had confirmed in a previous email to me, that my MD24 is field-upgradeable. The problem is that after the sysex message finishes transmitting the ACT LED just keeps flashing red. I let it continue for about 5 minutes before turning off the power. What is going on? Did my MD24 update?

Also what is the default configuration of the outputs once the MD24 is updated?

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

A continuous fast-blinking activity LED can indicate two problems:

1. There is a problem with the transmission of the firmware update message (this will happen while you attempt to transmit the firmware update sysex)

2. At boot time (with PRGM 0 unconnected), if the firmware is corrupt (because of the problem in #1 above), the activity LED will fast-blink and the MD24 will not enter normal operation.

The solution to #2 is to successfully complete a firmware update.

#1 can be caused by a flaky MIDI interface driver. What computer MIDI interface are you using?

The upgraded MD24 will have an unchanged configuration. The "pulse length" value pp will be set to 00h.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Default MD24 upgrade attempt

John,

Here is more details on the problems I have had while attempting to upgrade the MD24 to 1.4:

I followed your instructions on upgrading to 1.4. I connected the prgm 0 output to the G (ground output) and powered up the system. I used the Bome's SendSyx program to send the upgrade from the file you provided. The USB MIDI link that I am using worked previously when I used it to send a MIDI file to the MD24 and test the outputs, and I have used the computer with the USB MIDI link for other MIDI applications with no problems. The SendSyx program imported your file and indicated that it sent it to the MD24. In other words, I have every indication that the computer actually sent the file through the MIDI port to the MD24.

The problem is the way the MD24 responded when I tried to send the upgrade. Initially it performed as you said it would in your upgrade post. The ACT LED turned red and the STBY LED was green, when I powered up after connecting the program jumper 0 to ground; but when the file was being send to the MD24 both the ACT and the STBY LEDS started to flash red. This continued after both my MIDI port and the SendSyx program indicated the file was sent (after about 5 or 10 seconds)
and just went on until I finally shut off the power to the MD24 (after about 2 or 3 minutes). When I tested the MD24 it worked the same as it did before I attempted the upgrade. All outputs worked fine and stayed on as long as the note was on. I know both default programs are the same.

The MIDI link that I am using is an inexpensive USB MIDI link that has the "treble clef" symbal on it. I think is is the same one that someone on your form reviewed and said works well. I am using it on a laptop running Windows VISTA. This interface has worked well for all my other MIDI applications in the past.

My questions are: Why is the MD24 acting so strange during the upgrade? Did the MD24 upgrade? Do you have a program I can test the upgrade with (one that sets the outputs for a fixed pulse length)?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Hi Jeff,

It's tough to diagnose the exact problem that you're having. I think that the MIDI interface / driver / operating system may be causing some kind of problem with the upgrade sysex.

Sorry for not having a better response--I've responded to your related email.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Can you explain to me how to revert back to factory sysex config? i uploaded this thinking i'd be able to edit note lengths and now they are defaulted to the max!

How do you edit this code. it seems earlier methods don't apply

Example please?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM

and now if i try to upload this default code i get just flashing lights...

//header
F0 00 01 5D 03 01
//output config
00 01 00 3C
01 01 00 3D
02 01 00 3E
03 01 00 3F
04 01 00 40
05 01 00 41
06 01 00 42
07 01 00 43
08 01 00 44
09 01 00 45
0A 01 00 46
0B 01 00 47
0C 01 00 48
0D 01 00 49
0E 01 00 4A
0F 01 00 4B
10 01 00 4C
11 01 00 4D
12 01 00 4E
13 01 00 4F
14 01 00 50
15 01 00 51
16 01 00 52
17 01 00 53
// Footer
F7
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJ dAb View Post
and now if i try to upload this default code i get just flashing lights...

//header
F0 00 01 5D 03 01
//output config
00 01 00 3C
01 01 00 3D
02 01 00 3E
03 01 00 3F
04 01 00 40
05 01 00 41
06 01 00 42
07 01 00 43
08 01 00 44
09 01 00 45
0A 01 00 46
0B 01 00 47
0C 01 00 48
0D 01 00 49
0E 01 00 4A
0F 01 00 4B
10 01 00 4C
11 01 00 4D
12 01 00 4E
13 01 00 4F
14 01 00 50
15 01 00 51
16 01 00 52
17 01 00 53
// Footer
F7
Which LED is flashing, how many times, and at what point does it happen?

If you have successfully updated the firmware to V1.4, you must use a slightly different configuration sysex format that includes the pulse length variable. Check out the firmware manual linked above.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Got it , i think ;o)

I think the problem was with the note length missing and I was thinking the ACT light would blink brighter. Had to look really close to see the confirmation. Much different then the confirmation of the firmware. btw, can't wait for update with note length assignable to individual outputs instead of global! And, velocity somehow? That would rock!!!

Great work!!!

Last edited by dJ dAb; 09-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJ dAb View Post
Got it , i think ;o)

I think the problem was with the note length missing and I was thinking the ACT light would blink brighter. Had to look really close to see the confirmation. Much different then the confirmation of the firmware. btw, can't wait for update with note length assignable to individual outputs instead of global! And, velocity somehow? That would rock!!!

Great work!!!
Good to hear it. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
John,

Here is more details on the problems I have had while attempting to upgrade the MD24 to 1.4:

I followed your instructions on upgrading to 1.4. I connected the prgm 0 output to the G (ground output) and powered up the system. I used the Bome's SendSyx program to send the upgrade from the file you provided. The USB MIDI link that I am using worked previously when I used it to send a MIDI file to the MD24 and test the outputs, and I have used the computer with the USB MIDI link for other MIDI applications with no problems. The SendSyx program imported your file and indicated that it sent it to the MD24. In other words, I have every indication that the computer actually sent the file through the MIDI port to the MD24.

The problem is the way the MD24 responded when I tried to send the upgrade. Initially it performed as you said it would in your upgrade post. The ACT LED turned red and the STBY LED was green, when I powered up after connecting the program jumper 0 to ground; but when the file was being send to the MD24 both the ACT and the STBY LEDS started to flash red. This continued after both my MIDI port and the SendSyx program indicated the file was sent (after about 5 or 10 seconds)
and just went on until I finally shut off the power to the MD24 (after about 2 or 3 minutes). When I tested the MD24 it worked the same as it did before I attempted the upgrade. All outputs worked fine and stayed on as long as the note was on. I know both default programs are the same.

The MIDI link that I am using is an inexpensive USB MIDI link that has the "treble clef" symbal on it. I think is is the same one that someone on your form reviewed and said works well. I am using it on a laptop running Windows VISTA. This interface has worked well for all my other MIDI applications in the past.

My questions are: Why is the MD24 acting so strange during the upgrade? Did the MD24 upgrade? Do you have a program I can test the upgrade with (one that sets the outputs for a fixed pulse length)?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm sorry to be so late to this thread. Although I may be able explain what is the root issue of Jeffrey's sysex problem.

There is a serious defect with many of the USB>MIDI Treble Clef marked adapters (dongles) being sold on ebay and other sites.

One or more of the "factories" producing these adapters in China has knowingly been selling defective goods.
The common issues are missing notes, and a failure to recognize the device on installation.
A search on the internet has indicated (scroll down to comments) many folks had recently bought these defective Treble Clef marked adapters and complained about them.

The missing note problem surfaced for me this week when I purchased two of the "treble clef" marked dongles from an ebay vendor.

I had already been using one of these devices, purchased in 2010, and it has worked flawlessly in various player and composition applications on both Mac and peecee.

I needed another for a laptop, and ordered a couple more last week from a US based ebay vendor with a low price and free shipping.

On arrival, I plugged them in and discovered that neither Intuem, Ableton Live, or Cubase would recognize them when starting the applications. They *could* be recognized after cold starting the laptop with the device installed. The original dongle didn't require the cold start condition, even though it looked exactly like the two newly received dongles.

When I sent MIDI data out through the new dongles, about 20% of the notes were missing. Just gone. It manifested itself as dead spots in the compositions.
I decided to try a loopback by feeding the MIDI output through a buffer and back to the input, and discovered that many notes being sent out were not returning at the input. The condition was even worse on the loopback function, so notes were being lost on the send, and notes were being lost on the receive as well.

Both of the new dongles exhibited the same missing note defect.

It appears you may have been a victim of these same defective USB>MIDI dongles, based on what you noted in your posting.
To test it, I tried sending a configuration sysex to the MD24 that I had used dozens of times with success to configure the herd of MD24's in my projects using the original (older) dongle. And as expected, it failed to send the complete sysex after making multiple transmit attempts.
It did work after I reinstalled the original older dongle and restarted the sysex librarian application.

I hope you see this post and find that you were experiencing the same defective China made Treble Clef dongle issue.

I have no idea how to sort out the defective crap Treble Clef dongles from the good ones, since they appear exactly the same.
I'm now trying to identify who I bought the original Treble Clef dongle from in 2010, and hoping they have remaining inventory.

Regards, Jeff

Last edited by Jeff; 09-15-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for the comments.

Here is a discussion related to Jeff's remarks:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=738

Used USB-MIDI interfaces from Roland, M-Audio, etc are plentiful and inexpensive on eBay. It's probably the best way to go.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have no idea how to sort out the defective crap Treble Clef dongles from the good ones, since they appear exactly the same.
I'm now trying to identify who I bought the original Treble Clef dongle from in 2010, and hoping they have remaining inventory.

Regards, Jeff
I've ordered a number of the "Treble Clef" ones as well. The last one showed up in my device list with a different name than previous ones...and didn't work properly.

I ripped it apart and the circuit has changed. Not for the better either...

My theory is that at some point, some factory cranks out a large number of these "interfaces". Later on a distributor buys a whack of them and flogs them off through various venues.

For the next production run maybe the following year, the factory decides to "redo" the circuitry to either cut down on production or parts cost. Again they crank out a whack of them and now we get ones that aren't the same electronically but physically are.

When I've contacted manufacturers, it seems that a 15% failure rate is acceptable to them. So there's always a 15% over run. Maybe we're being offered some of the 15% over run every year.

Guess you can call it Midi Roulette...

Mel
Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Oops, I completely missed the thread Mel had created detailing the problems. Thanks John.
Mel has published a great explanation about those junk $5 MIDI interface devices.

Based on that, I decided to purchase an Alesis USB>MIDI interface rather than take a chance on another of the treble clef cheapos.

We ran a full sound check of the seven daisy chained MIDI instruments last night, driven by that 2010 vintage treble clef branded interface.

There were "hung notes" at multiple points in the compositions where the Tesla Coil would have to be restarted.
Initially, I suspected the strong RF field was swamping the MIDI interface, even as we moved it 20' away. And the coil's MIDI controller is isolated through an ST optical fiber.
I'm now suspecting the treble clef adapter that I previously thought was OK is actually the source of the "hanging note" problem.
The other six instruments are percussion devices, driven by MD24's programmed with fixed note length, so they'd never hang.
I'll know for certain next weekend when we try it again.

Thanks again for the great information about the problem.

Regards, Jeff
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Default Firmware update problem?

Hi,

I am trying to update my firmware for the MD24 by following the instructions for the 1.4 update posted. I go through the procedure and everything works like the post says except that at the end, when the update is finished, BOTH the red ACT and the green STBY light go off. I then disconnect the jumper and reboot and the green standby light comes on. Is this normal and does it mean that the update worked?

The reason I am asking this is that, after this, when I try to program the MD24 with my own code (specifying note numbers, pulse length, etc.) it does not work (the ACT light just keeps blinking on and off rapidly).

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I am trying to update my firmware for the MD24 by following the instructions for the 1.4 update posted. I go through the procedure and everything works like the post says except that at the end, when the update is finished, BOTH the red ACT and the green STBY light go off. I then disconnect the jumper and reboot and the green standby light comes on. Is this normal and does it mean that the update worked?

The reason I am asking this is that, after this, when I try to program the MD24 with my own code (specifying note numbers, pulse length, etc.) it does not work (the ACT light just keeps blinking on and off rapidly).

Thanks,

Jeff
I see that your post has sat for a couple days, and decided to respond since I've successfully updated many revG MD24's myself.

Your description of the LED's post-update are exactly what you should see.

Although your sysex to assign values after the 1.4 update appears to have a problem; hence the ACT LED blinking. That's an error indicator.

Does your fixed-pulse-width sysex header and pulse width value appear like the listing below? Line 2 must contain a value (hex) representing the "on" period of the note. As I understand it, you must declare all channels even if they're not being used. Notice at 10 the remaining output channels are unused.

Quote:
F0 00 01 5D 03 01
00 01 00 25
01 01 00 26
02 01 00 28
03 01 00 29
04 01 00 2C
05 01 00 2D
06 01 00 46
07 01 00 31
08 01 00 32
09 01 00 33
0A 01 00 34
0B 01 00 36
0C 01 00 37
0D 01 00 39
0E 01 00 3B
0F 01 00 2E
10 01 00 00
11 01 00 00
12 01 00 00
13 01 00 00
14 01 00 00
15 01 00 00
16 01 00 00
17 01 00 00
F7
If your sysex file looks like this, and all comment material was removed prior to processing it with the text-to-sysex converter it may indicate you have other issues. Possibly even with the dongle used to transfer the file. Can you please post the actual sysex data you're sending to the MD24?

Regards, Jeff
Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 AM

Default Problem programming MD24

Thanks for responding Jeff. Attached is the sysex file that I am attempting to upload. I tried uploading the sysex file that you gave as an example and it still gave me the blinking ACT red light. I copied and pasted it into Bome's SendSX and then sent it.

I am using Bomer's SendSX with a MIDIsport Uno attached to a USB port on my laptop running Windows Vista. Assuming that my sysex file is correct, why would the same hardware and software setup work for the 1.4 update but not for my sysex file?

I seem to remember successfully programming the MD24 with a similiar sysex file about a year ago with the same hardware and software. I initially had the same problems (see my previous posts in this thread), but it turned out to be my USB MIDI dogle that was at fault. I was using an inexpensive dogle with the treble clef symbol. That is when I switched to the MIDIsport UNO and was successful at programming.

Would you please attach a sysex file that you succesfully programmed to your reply.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: syx NRLD Module 2.syx (104 Bytes, 291 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding Jeff. Attached is the sysex file that I am attempting to upload. I tried uploading the sysex file that you gave as an example and it still gave me the blinking ACT red light. I copied and pasted it into Bome's SendSX and then sent it.

I am using Bomer's SendSX with a MIDIsport Uno attached to a USB port on my laptop running Windows Vista. Assuming that my sysex file is correct, why would the same hardware and software setup work for the 1.4 update but not for my sysex file?

I seem to remember successfully programming the MD24 with a similiar sysex file about a year ago with the same hardware and software. I initially had the same problems (see my previous posts in this thread), but it turned out to be my USB MIDI dogle that was at fault. I was using an inexpensive dogle with the treble clef symbol. That is when I switched to the MIDIsport UNO and was successful at programming.

Would you please attach a sysex file that you succesfully programmed to your reply.

Thanks,

Jeff
Hi Jeff, I've been ill lately, and not online.
I am having the same transmit error with your sysex file sent from the same dongle (I have a midisport 1x1). I'm using "sysex librarian" for Mac, and I want to verify whether it compiles the same using a different application, and will help in isolating where the problem is.

Please attach, or quote, your sysex file before the compile like I had quoted earlier. Although I could eventually decode your original on paper, I would like to see the actual file before compiling.

Thanks, Jeff Thomas
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Default Sysex file for problem with MD24

Jeff,

Here is the file:

F0 00 01 5D 03 01
00 01 00 14
01 01 00 15
02 01 00 16
03 01 00 17
04 01 00 18
05 01 00 19
06 01 00 1A
07 01 00 1B
08 01 00 1C
09 01 00 1D
0A 01 00 1E
0B 01 00 1F
0C 01 00 20
0D 01 00 21
0E 01 00 22
0F 01 00 23
10 01 00 24
11 01 00 25
12 01 00 26
13 01 00 27
14 03 00 28
15 03 00 29
16 03 00 2A
17 03 00 2B
F7

Let me know if this works. I have another question: What is the default configuration of the MD24 after the 1.4 update? After I update my MD24 the default matches the 1.2 update as given in the literature, but each output is on for about 1 second instead of being on as long as the duration of the corresponding MIDI note. Is this supposed to be?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Jeff,

Here is the file:

F0 00 01 5D 03 01
00 01 00 14
01 01 00 15
02 01 00 16
03 01 00 17
04 01 00 18
05 01 00 19
06 01 00 1A
07 01 00 1B
08 01 00 1C
09 01 00 1D
0A 01 00 1E
0B 01 00 1F
0C 01 00 20
0D 01 00 21
0E 01 00 22
0F 01 00 23
10 01 00 24
11 01 00 25
12 01 00 26
13 01 00 27
14 03 00 28
15 03 00 29
16 03 00 2A
17 03 00 2B
F7

Let me know if this works.
This file format works for me. But to make it work, I had to remove all line breaks so that all of the sysex code was on one line, separated only by spaces. I'm not sure why, but sometimes SendSX will not send a complete sysex message when it is interspersed with line breaks. To avoid manually deleting the linbreaks, an alternative workaround is to use SendSX to save your sysex code as a binary .syx file, and then reload. It will appear as a single line.

I'm not sure the exact cause of this problem, but it seems to be a problem only with certain sysex messages and/or certain MIDI interfaces. (!)

Sorry for the trouble. This is the type of problem that is motivating me to move away from sysex for device configuration.

An important note:

MD24 firmware 1.4 has a bug: when a sysex configuration message is successfully received, the "3 blinks" of the ACT LED are extremely short and can be difficult to see on the on-board LED. So it's easy to think that the config was unsuccessful, even when it worked OK.

Quote:
I have another question: What is the default configuration of the MD24 after the 1.4 update? After I update my MD24 the default matches the 1.2 update as given in the literature, but each output is on for about 1 second instead of being on as long as the duration of the corresponding MIDI note. Is this supposed to be?
Yes. Immediately after the upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4, the "pulse length" value will be set to its maximum of FFh. (The memory location was unused in 1.3 and FFh is the "unprogrammed" value.)

The pulse length value will remain FFh until a new config is received in the 1.2/1.4 format. (A value of 00h means "no fixed pulse length", or pulse length determined by note duration.)

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide more information.