Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MD24

Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Servo control mode, PWM as dimming control.

I appologize for having to post this, but does the MD24 have to be programed to enable the servo mode? Or is it enabled by default? I currently have it functioning in logic mode and cannot figure out how to switch within the documentation. I know a little about computers, but very little about code.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Hi 2BTrue, welcome.

Yes, you'll have to send a sysex message to the MD24 from your computer. more info about doing this can be found here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=280

I can provide some help with formulating the sysex message. Let me know which MD24 outputs you'd like to use as servo outputs, and how they should respond to MIDI.

If you haven't already, in the meantime, you can also take a look at the servo wiring diagram in the hardware user manual. The firmware manual has information about the sysex message. Both are linked at the top of the MD24 product page.

Last edited by John; 12-02-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the response John.

We are currently experimenting on a Christmas light show. The signal from the MD24 is being sent to activate an optocoupler relay circuit to turn on the lights. I would like to use the PWM to create a dimming effect with the lights.

Do you have any advice on this?

I will try to grasp the informaton in the manuals and come up with a sysex message.

Last edited by 2BTrue; 12-02-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Found settings
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BTrue View Post
Thanks for the response John.

We are currently experimenting on a Christmas light show. The signal from the MD24 is being sent to activate an optocoupler relay circuit to turn on the lights. I would like to use the PWM to create a dimming effect with the lights.

Do you have any advice on this?

I will try to grasp the informaton in the manuals and come up with a sysex message.
The trouble with using the servo control signal as a dimming signal is that servos use a control pwm that has a pretty small range of duty cycle. (The standard signal is a pulse width range of 1-2ms at a fixed frequency of only 50Hz or so.)

You might take a look at the MD24 firmware manual to see if you can change the PWM parameters to create a signal that might be suitable for dimming, but may be tricky.

Other options are using an actual servo to control a mechanical rheostat, or to use something like the MPA to control a dimming circuit.

Let me know if this helps and/or if I misunderstood your application.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 PM

The 555 timer that people are using has a range of 500-kHz to 2-MHz. Is this beyond the scope of the MD24?

After a little more research, I am not really sure of the 555 range. What is the capabilities of the MD24? I am sorry if this is tedious. I am trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks

Last edited by 2BTrue; 12-02-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The 555 timer that people are using has a range of 500-kHz to 2-MHz. Is this beyond the scope of the MD24?

After a little more research, I am not really sure of the 555 range. What is the capabilities of the MD24? I am sorry if this is tedious. I am trying to cover all the bases.

Thanks
Please download the MD24 firmware user manual and check out the "PWM configuration" section. The pwm output is described in detail.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM

With some help, we programed the MD24 with a few different settings. . . It blinked. . . I don't suppose there are plans to include a feature that would work for this application? Perhaps one setting that gives equal on/off timing?

Thank You for your help.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
With some help, we programed the MD24 with a few different settings. . . It blinked. . . I don't suppose there are plans to include a feature that would work for this application? Perhaps one setting that gives equal on/off timing?

Thank You for your help.
Yes, the feature is already planned for the next firmware update :

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=561

But it's not going to be here for Christmas this year--sorry.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM

I am happy to hear of the future developments. Durring this research, I have tried many different programs trying to find suitable free software. This DAW (digatal audio workstation) is the best and simplest I have found with full automation... http://www.mutools.com/mulab-product.html It may be useful for people using your products.

Thanks for your help.