Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
  #1  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM
nielow nielow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default CT-410V/MT-400V with UMR2

Hey,

today my UMR2 order arrived.
I think I hooked everything up correctly, but have a problem with the setup procedure: After step 5, the ACT LED stays on forever.

I'll post additional information later, and will also try to read the diagnostic sysex msg.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielow View Post
Hey,

today my UMR2 order arrived.
I think I hooked everything up correctly, but have a problem with the setup procedure: After step 5, the ACT LED stays on forever.

I'll post additional information later, and will also try to read the diagnostic sysex msg.
Glad to hear that you've started with this.

To troubleshoot this problem:

Try disconnecting all select lines from the UMR2 except for one. Try the setup procedure, and see if you still have the step 5 problem. If the problem is not observed, connect a second select line and try again. Then a third, etc.

This way, you may be able to isolate a single select line that is causing trouble. From there, we can work further to solve the problem.

Hope this helps. The diagnostic info will be useful. A sketch or photo of your wiring will help, too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM
nielow nielow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The diagnostic info will be useful. A sketch or photo of your wiring will help, too.
For a photo of my wiring see the thread in the UMR forum. I'll try to find my notes where I sketched the matrix circuit tomorrow.

Here are the diagnostic SysEx messages:

Received after entering setup mode (Step 4, with releasing the PRGM switch):
00 F0 00 01 5D 07 00 00 01 07 00 30 20 F7

When I press all keys, with the red LED staying on as described before, I get
another SysEx message after "storing" the programming:
00 F0 00 01 5D 07 00 00 01 07 00 30 20 F7
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Ok.

Let me know what you find out by connecting the select lines one-at-a-time as described above.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
nielow nielow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Glad to hear that you've started with this.

To troubleshoot this problem:

Try disconnecting all select lines from the UMR2 except for one. Try the setup procedure, and see if you still have the step 5 problem. If the problem is not observed, connect a second select line and try again. Then a third, etc.

This way, you may be able to isolate a single select line that is causing trouble. From there, we can work further to solve the problem.
Unfortunately, the problem occures if I connect *any* select line.
It only "works" (red light turning off, green blinking after sending MIDI Note), if no select line is connected.

What could that be?

With only line 9 connected, sysex message is: 00 F0 00 01 5D 07 00 00 01 0B 00 30 00 F7
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielow View Post
Unfortunately, the problem occures if I connect *any* select line.
It only "works" (red light turning off, green blinking after sending MIDI Note), if no select line is connected.

What could that be?
Ok. Here's how the UMR2 setup procedure works internally.

After you send the "first note" via MIDI, the UMR2 starts to monitor the switch matrix for activity. That's when the green LED starts its slow continuous blinking. The UMR2 is "waiting" for you to press a key.

So that behavior is expected with zero select lines connected. With no select signal, the UMR2 detects no key switch activity and will wait forever, until the PRGM switch is pressed to end the setup procedure. (But of course, with no key activity recorded, there can be no MIDI retrofit functionality.)

When you have the CT-410 matrix wired and begin the setup procedure, you are reporting that the red LED "never turns off" after the "first note" is sent via MIDI. For some reason, the UMR2 is "detecting" key activity at all times, even when you are not pressing keys. What appears to be the red LED not turning off is actually a continuous sequence of keyswitch activity indications.

So we need to figure out what is causing the UMR2 to detect keyswitch activity that isn't actually happening. Does that make sense?

This is kind of tricky to figure out. Since each of the select lines exhibit the same problem, can you try to eliminate data lines as well? In other words, can you find a single select line and a single data line to connect to the UMR2 that allow the setup procedure to complete normally so that the UMR can reliably trigger a single note via MIDI?

Since the CT-410 is very old, perhaps I need to create a UMR2 firmware flavor that is very discriminating in its keyboard activity detection. Perhaps there is some kind of noise or slow set-up time for keyboard data that is causing the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

And thank you for posting the images!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
nielow nielow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you very much for your support so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
So we need to figure out what is causing the UMR2 to detect keyswitch activity that isn't actually happening. Does that make sense?
Sounds logical to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
This is kind of tricky to figure out. Since each of the select lines exhibit the same problem, can you try to eliminate data lines as well? In other words, can you find a single select line and a single data line to connect to the UMR2 that allow the setup procedure to complete normally so that the UMR can reliably trigger a single note via MIDI?
Since that are "only" 54 possible combinations, it will take a while. But I can try that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Since the CT-410 is very old, perhaps I need to create a UMR2 firmware flavor that is very discriminating in its keyboard activity detection.
Is there a way to update the firmware of the UMR2 (via SysEx?). That would be nice and a real killer feature. If not, I could possibly update it myself (USBPicProg available).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Perhaps there is some kind of noise or slow set-up time for keyboard data that is causing the problem.
I actually have an oscilloscope (rather old Phillips 15MHz, is this sufficient?), I can try to find out if there is something happening on the select/data lines if no keys are pressed? Since I'm not really an expert, I would be glad if you can help me with that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

If you can take one select line and one data line and take a snapshot of what they look like together on the scope, that could definitely be helpful. Thanks for the offer.

UMR2 firmware can be upgraded by MIDI sysex, so we can do it that way if it comes to that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
nielow nielow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
A sketch or photo of your wiring will help, too.

This is my wiring:



The PINs where I connected the UMR2 are labeled with 1-15 from right to left:

15 - S1
14 - S2
13 - S3
12 - S4
11 - S5
10 - S6
9 - S7
8 - S8
7 - D2
6 - D3
5 - D4
4 - D5
3 - D6
2 - D1
1 - S9

On the other image you see my notes of the key switch matrix. The two sets of pins labeled with 1-6 and 1-9 on my notes correspond to the two transparent brownish ribbon cables you can see below the 15-pins wide cable where I connected the UMR. The circuit remapping the 1-6 and 1-9 cables to the 15-pins you can also see on my notes.

Polarity is "-" ("active low"), right?

BTW: Pressing some Keys on the connected MIDI keyboard leads to the CT playing multiple notes simultaneously, like this (not complete but close):

Pressing f#0, c1, a1, d#1 leads to play g1-a#1-b1.
Pressing g#0, a0, a#0, c#1, d1 leads to play f#2-g2-g#2-a2-a#2-b2.
Pressing b0 plays d2.
Pressing b1 plays f2.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.