Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Default MIDISpeak Compatibility

N. writes:

Quote:
I finally found a Speak and Spell to install the module, but it's and original raised-button model. Does this install the same or is it different?
The original "pushbutton" Spell works great. There are special connection diagrams for it in the ROM mode installation instructions.

The pushbutton version has less room on the inside--so it can be tricky to fit the MIDISpeak board inside. It's possible, but you might consider housing the MIDISpeak externally.

Quote:
how about the "Speak and Spell Compact"?
This sort of question is a very common one. The MIDISpeak was designed specifically for the devices with the same form factor as the original Speak & Spell. It's unlikely that it could be made to work with other devices such as "Speak & Spell Compact", "Super Speak & Spell", or "talking" toys from other manufacturers.

Hope this helps--please let me know if I can provide more information.

Last edited by John; 01-28-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Would the expansion cartridges for the Speak & series ('Vowel Power' etc.) provide more banks of glitches for a MIDISpeak'd machine?

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/JackofTradesMusic
Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades_Music View Post
Would the expansion cartridges for the Speak & series ('Vowel Power' etc.) provide more banks of glitches for a MIDISpeak'd machine?

Cheers
I'm pretty sure that the expansion card memory addresses are not accessed during MIDISpeak regular ROM mode operation. If they were, it would make more words available, and I guess you would get a few new glitchy-type sounds as well. But they would sound very similar to what's already available.

Hope that was helpful. By the way--for anyone not already a MIDISpeak user--there are a ton of glitchy sounds available just from the built-in speech ROM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Yes, thanks, John. Aye, there are already banks and banks of sounds to trigger in the built-in ROM, no doubt about that... and two speed modes for each sound; i love that function.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JackofTradesMusic

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades_Music; 01-28-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM

I have an earlier version of midispeak2 and am having some issues with note recognition, is there anyway to upgrade the firmware to the latest version?

It works fine with my keyboard but the machinedrum must be sending some data it doesn't like.

EDIT - I turned off clock and transport out, and it works properly now, but I'd still like to upgrade if possible (I have a pic programmer, if that helps, not that I have ever used it LOL)

Last edited by daren; 02-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Hi Daren,

You're welcome to send in your IC1 for re-programming. You can send it to the address on the contact page. If you'd rather purchase a replacement, you can send a PM to make arrangements.

Tags
compact, midispeak, speak, spell, super