Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Default what i'm hearing...

hi,

just finished assembling and installing the midispeak kit, and was hoping to get a little clarification. first off, i apologize in advance for not having fully, properly tested the installation, but i'm too curious for the answers and haven't had time to get back into the workshop.

i installed for rom mode operation, and when i send note ons (and corresponding offs) it really sounds like i'm hearing more than one fragment at once. is it possible that without sending the CC message i'm actually hearing more than one bank at once?

the other more broad question is, does rom mode give me access the individual, programmed allophones, or to larger fragments than that?

thanks for looking
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM

i think i just answered my own questions after a little time with the s&s.

if i understand:

-no simultaneous bank playbacks
-no phonic speech units

essentially it's all forms of glitch with the programmed words peppered about the 127 banks x 127 note ons?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician4 View Post
i think i just answered my own questions after a little time with the s&s.

if i understand:

-no simultaneous bank playbacks
-no phonic speech units

essentially it's all forms of glitch with the programmed words peppered about the 127 banks x 127 note ons?
Yes.

Potentially one could draw a "map" of the bank/note location of the different words & sounds. The problem being that it would only be accurate for Speaks containing the same ROM revision (there are several, I believe).
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM

The MIDISpeak is somewhat limited because it is "competing" with the other circuitry in the Speak for control of the speech chip.

I've wanted to build a new board around the TI speech chip--this would be the ideal way to form words & sounds "from scratch". Not sure I'll ever get around to it.

Last edited by John; 08-19-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The MIDISpeak is somewhat limited because it is "competing" with the other circuitry in the Speak for control of the speech chip.

I've wanted to build a new board around the TI speech chip--this would be the ideal way to form words & sounds "from scratch". Not sure I'll ever get around to it.
i'm really thrilled with my midispeak installation. i'm going to get a lot of use and enjoyment out of it. however, let me respond to the above comment with an appropriate amount of restraint:

PLEASE GET AROUND TO IT!

i'd sell my car to get a device capable of this that wasn't some proprietary, protection-ridden product of a litigious mega-corp.

if this device were public i'd be all over it:
http://ericarcher.net/devices/vocal-synthesizer/