Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 AM

Default Install unsuccessful so far on S&R

Hi,

I installed per the instructions for the recommended ROM mode, but I have not been able to get the unit to work properly. I checked all the voltages in the troubleshooting section and also added the diode. One key thing that may be a clue is that the unit will not go into the necessary game mode described as:

"Speak & Read: ON, "WORD MAKER", GO, "ERASE" (a single underscore character should appear on the toy's display)"

The screen just goes blank. I tried adding a switch to turn off the MidiSpeak's power to get it to the "word maker" game and then turned it back on and tried sending MIDI notes, but nothing happens.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Hi buchacho,

Generally speaking, the MIDISpeak must always be powered when the host is operating. Otherwise, the host will not function properly.

With everything connected, can you operate the Speak & Read at all using the keypad?

Are there unusual characters or "noise" on the Speak & Read screen?

You might also check out the troubleshooting guide here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1
Old 11-21-2010, 06:52 AM

Hi John,

To clarify, when the MidiSpeak is powered on with the Speak and Read, I cannot get the unit to go into the "Word Maker" game. I said before the screen goes blank, but that was incorrect.

When I try to press the "Word Maker" button, nothing happens at all. The screen does not change, nor are any noises made. I can go into the other games.

I added a switch in-line to the negative power line to see if the Midispeak was preventing me from going into the "Word Maker" mode, and found that when the Midispeak is disconnected, I can get to the mode as usual.

I have gone through the troubleshooting guide, and everything appears to be correct.

Last edited by buchacho; 11-21-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 11-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Buchacho,

Try disconnecting only the MIDISpeak "KEYPAD" wires (1 & 3) and leaving the rest of the install in place.

Does this allow you to get to the "word maker" prompt? And if so, can you successfully get MIDI activity?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 AM

Sorry for the delay. I do want to get this kit working...

I desoldered wires 1 and 3, however, I still could not go into Word Maker mode.

One thing I was wondering, is when I assembled the kit, I installed the resistor network component in the wrong orientation, and then had to desolder and re-solder it. Could that component have been damaged from excessive heat? Is there a way to test it?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:44 PM

This sounds like a wiring issue. Can you post a clear photo of your wiring? It's really difficult to diagnose problems in this way, but I can try.

When you send MIDI notes to the MIDISpeak, is there a brief flash on the screen indicating that the message is being received?

I do not think the resistor network is the problem, but we can work out a replacement if you're interested.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 AM

I do not see any flashing when sending midi. Here are my photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59429974@N07/5493282425/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59429974@N07/5493281939/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59429974@N07/5493281391/
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Buchacho,

Thank you for posting the images. I can't find a problem that would cause the host to malfunction. However, I do see that there is a resistor attached to the MIDI terminals on the MIDISpeak. This shouldn't be there--what is the intent with putting the resistor there?

John
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM

I put it there to interface with an Arduino, but currently it is bypassed.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Still at a loss on this one--sorry. MIDISpeak can be tough to troubleshoot without in-person inspection. I've sent a private message about a replacement in case you think this unit is faulty.

I know it's a pain, but if you have another Speak handy, you might try the install in a different host...