Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Default Making an amp and loop switcher

1. I wanna use an msa-t to switch 4 channels of an amp like in this thread http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=509.
What I wanna know is can I just wire the a and b on each of the 1st 4 outputs or do I need to drive a relay?

2. If I can wire as above, are a and b isolated per channel from each other? (meaning a of channel 1 and b of channel 1 don't touch a of channel 2 or b of channel 2)

3. If I cannot wire as in 1, could I simply solder in 4 relays that you use on the msa-r on the first 4 channels and create a hybrid msa-r/msa-t?

My final 4 channels will control audio loops.

4. I wanna have a midi out on the unit, but necessarily the thru as well. I prefer just a thru, but sqwerl seems to need the out. Is this correct?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdropd View Post
1. I wanna use an msa-t to switch 4 channels of an amp like in this thread http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=509.
What I wanna know is can I just wire the a and b on each of the 1st 4 outputs or do I need to drive a relay?
If one of the lines going from the amp to the switch is ground, then yes, you should be able to use the MSA-T output directly.

Quote:
2. If I can wire as above, are a and b isolated per channel from each other? (meaning a of channel 1 and b of channel 1 don't touch a of channel 2 or b of channel 2)
Yes. See the "outputs" section of the MSA-T hardware user manual. There is a diagram that may clarify things.

But you'll be connecting the "B" terminals to a common ground, anyway. The "A" terminal then is "pulled down" to ground when activated. (It is "floating" when the output is inactive.)

Quote:
3. If I cannot wire as in 1, could I simply solder in 4 relays that you use on the msa-r on the first 4 channels and create a hybrid msa-r/msa-t?
Yes, you can mix & match output elements on the same MSA board, if you like.

Quote:
My final 4 channels will control audio loops.

4. I wanna have a midi out on the unit, but necessarily the thru as well. I prefer just a thru, but sqwerl seems to need the out. Is this correct?
Here's a complete answer:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=469

Yes, Sqwerl needs to connect to the "out" so that it can "read" the configuration from the MSA. You could make this connection temporarily until you've got the config set up how you want it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

But you'll be connecting the "B" terminals to a common ground, anyway. The "A" terminal then is "pulled down" to ground when activated. (It is "floating" when the output is inactive.)
Let me clarify; Each amp has a tip/sleeve connection that when shorted switches the amp. I don't want any of the 4 amps electrically connected to each other to avoid a ground loop. I'm not positive this will happen based on what you posted. I know with relays this is will be perfect, but I'd like to avoid them maybe if possible.

If I purchase an msa-t can I get some relays from you in place of some of the trannys?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixdropd View Post
Let me clarify; Each amp has a tip/sleeve connection that when shorted switches the amp. I don't want any of the 4 amps electrically connected to each other to avoid a ground loop. I'm not positive this will happen based on what you posted. I know with relays this is will be perfect, but I'd like to avoid them maybe if possible.

If I purchase an msa-t can I get some relays from you in place of some of the trannys?
Ok, I understand. Yes, I'd be glad to send some relays. Let's discuss via email when you place your order.