Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Default MSA-T heat & note length

I've let my robot drummer collect dust while looking for some new perspective.

A problem that I was encountering when I was building the boards into their respective project boxes was the occasional burnout of transistors.

Since I see many people using the boards inside none ventilated plastic enclosures without heat-sinks I am wondering whether I should do something to limit MIDI note length so that the board doesn't receive a sustained on message.

I am using the older rev boards and the basic sysex. I haven't installed the editing software so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to just open up that sysex file and edit without having to install MIDI outs onto my boards.

Feedback would be great on any angle of this.

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmutt View Post
I've let my robot drummer collect dust while looking for some new perspective.

A problem that I was encountering when I was building the boards into their respective project boxes was the occasional burnout of transistors.

Since I see many people using the boards inside none ventilated plastic enclosures without heat-sinks I am wondering whether I should do something to limit MIDI note length so that the board doesn't receive a sustained on message.

I am using the older rev boards and the basic sysex. I haven't installed the editing software so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to just open up that sysex file and edit without having to install MIDI outs onto my boards.

Feedback would be great on any angle of this.

Thanks,
Tommy
It sounds as though whatever you're driving with those transistors is drawing enough current through the transistor to cause the heat and eventual failure. Which shouldn't really happen. You should be able to send a note on, and the transistor should at best get warm, but not burn out.

Your possible options could be one of:

1. Use a lower current draw component that the transistor is driving
2. Drive a relay with the transistor so the relay could drive the component
3. Use a transistor (darlington) to be able to supply the heavier current draw

Mel
Old 06-20-2011, 09:05 PM

Also, make sure to include the "protection diode" across the load if it's something like a solenoid.

If you can post the technical specs of your components and a sketch of your circuit, I might be able to make a better guess about the nature of the problem.

Tags
drummer, heat, robot, sysex