Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Default MSA-P : Midi to Din Sync

This post is for John.

I'm ready to get a Midi to Din sync conversion project started using the MSA-P as a converter between the two interfaces for start/stop - run/stop controll from a master midi sequencer to a TR-606. If you'd be willing to walk me through what I need to do to complete this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi Ian,

Here's the wiring to get the DIN SYNC signals from the MSA-P:

You'll notice that the MSA-P is simply being used to gate 5V to form the sync signal.

For the pull-down resistors in the diagram, I think 10kohms would be a good place to start.

Given the wiring above, you'll want to configure MSA output #0 for "Sync: Run" mode and output #1 for "Sync: Clock" mode. I'm not sure of the pulse length for the clock--you may have to experiment a bit. I might try with 5ms to start. You can use Sqwerl to do the configuration.

Based on the wikipedia page for DIN sync, it looks like the connector pins are used differently by different manufacturers. So you may have to do some research to match the signals to the connector pins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_sync

Let me know if this is a good start.

Last edited by John; 06-30-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks John!

Before I get started though I just want to make sure I have the right idea on a couple of things.

1) The 5VDC supply you show connected to what will be the DIN out is to be connected to the REG 5V protion of the MSA correct? Or does it need an additional supply?

2) Some DIN specs I've seen show an additional Ground connection on the
2nd pin (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm (DIN specs section) Should I assume that this is necessary, or do you think could it be eliminated?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM

Ian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMcK View Post
1) The 5VDC supply you show connected to what will be the DIN out is to be connected to the REG 5V protion of the MSA correct? Or does it need an additional supply?
Sure--you could use the regulated 5V from the MSA if you like.

Quote:
2) Some DIN specs I've seen show an additional Ground connection on the
2nd pin (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm (DIN specs section) Should I assume that this is necessary, or do you think could it be eliminated?
You probably need it, since the signal source (our 5VDC supply in the diagram) and the receiving device must share the same ground for the signaling to work.