Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 AM

Cool perfecting UMR with VSS-30

I've installed this wonderful little midi chip in my Yahama VSS-30, and it's fun as hell. It doesn't work perfectly though. I might be asking too much of these gadgets, but the problem I'm having is like a double triggering of notes on the keyboard by my drum machine or something. For instance, I have a drum beat sampled to be the voice of the keyboard, (so each note is that beat at a different speed and pitch) and when the drum machine triggers the keys, they sometimes stutter really quickly. This doesn't really happen with simple sequences, but if I repeat several times a pattern that contains several notes, the sample gets off (stutters, rolls, double-triggers).

Do you have any ideas about the reason for the imperfect play of notes? Could it have to do with an imperfect installation of the midi chip? I used 22-gauge wire instead of 28-gauge, and it was one of my first soldering jobs. I've attached a picture of it. Or is my VSS-30 just not capable of such precise sample playback maybe?

By any chance, will the new UMR preform differently? Do I really have to wait until October to get one?
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Hi aldegra,

I apologize for the slow response to this.

I was unaware of any note response issues with the VSS-30.

The new UMR will be a new, less expensive design with a faster microcontroller. That alone could address these issues.

Also, there may be a way to make some algorithmic changes so that the UMR can be tailored to the specific matrix scan pattern of the individual host keyboard.

Lots to think about.

If the performance of the UMR you have is unacceptable, please don't hesitate to send a PM or email so that we can discuss further.