Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 AM

Default Fruit Bazooka

I thought I would post some pics here of my latest project that uses a Highly Liquid Relay Kit. It is called the Fruit Bazooka and it uses the midi control to turn on and off all manner of blinding lights that show through the etching in it's golden mirrored faceplate. There is also a Monome built into this thing as well as light-up modwheels. This has been a very large project for me, but I have to say it was worth it!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Definitely worth it! That's very cool.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Bryan,

This looks really amazing. Where can we go to learn more about it??
Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM

This was made as a favor to my friend Hal aka TimeSquid. It took me a year and a half to take it from an AutoCAD type drawing of the top piece to the fully functioning finished piece shown above. Hal had bought all of the main components and I had to engineer, fabricate and wire it all up.

This is a Monome guitar with midi controlled lighting made specifically for live performances. The Monome section is the 4 button grids on the device and connects (by USB) to a computer with a custom locking connector. Those button grids can control tons of different applications that are all customizable or a program can be created just for use with this. The button presses are registered on the computer and the buttons can light up or animate based on the programming in MAX language. This Monome kit also allows for 4 analog inputs, so this has 2 pots, lighted modwheels and an accelerometer. More info at: http://www.monome.org

The other section of this project was to incorporate a lot of lights. Each light can either be turned on all the time or be turned on and off by MIDI notes. I built in a Highly Liquid MSA-R kit to control the lights when buttons are pressed. There are also 3 switched power output jacks for use with a costume or aux lights or devices. I ran 12vDC to every switch input, so midi notes basically send 12vDC output as the relays are flipped.

I designed the inside as a multi-layer catacomb to allow it to hold all of the wiring, lights, Monome and Highly Liquid kit. Each layer was laser cut Acrylic and could not let light bleed from one lighted area to another. The layers were solvent welded together to form the main body. The top piece is laser-etched acrylic mirror (to allow light to pass through the designs) that was attached with a rugged tape. The back is removable to allow rewiring or changes if needed. The edging is all custom fitted to cover up all of the layers and provide a top edge-mounted jack panel.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM

I love this. I keep coming back and looking at the photos cause they make me smile. Even if it was just a prop it would be great, but the fact it's a working instrument is just brilliant. Great work.