Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Default MD24 SysEx tutorial Help?

Hi guys,

I've recently bought the MD24 and i've soldered all the parts together. I'm a bit confused with how to get the MD24 to work with Ableton Live. I was under the impression that there would be an interface or a GUI to go with the MD24.

Do I need to know programming to get the MD24 to work?

I have a pre-programmed drum beat in Ableton Live and I am using a USB to Midi converter which is going into the MD24. Can I send the MD24 Midi-data as it plays in real time?

Or does ableton live need to write out a sysEx file?
I'm just a bit confused on how to get the MD24 to work.

Do I need to write sysEx files. Sounds complicated , shouldn't the md24 read midi data from my usb to midi converter from Ableton live?

Any info would be great thanks
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solenoid_nak View Post
Hi guys,

I've recently bought the MD24 and i've soldered all the parts together. I'm a bit confused with how to get the MD24 to work with Ableton Live. I was under the impression that there would be an interface or a GUI to go with the MD24.

Do I need to know programming to get the MD24 to work?

I have a pre-programmed drum beat in Ableton Live and I am using a USB to Midi converter which is going into the MD24. Can I send the MD24 Midi-data as it plays in real time?

Or does ableton live need to write out a sysEx file?
I'm just a bit confused on how to get the MD24 to work.

Do I need to write sysEx files. Sounds complicated , shouldn't the md24 read midi data from my usb to midi converter from Ableton live?

Any info would be great thanks
Hi guys I've noticed this
http://wabbitwanch.com/sqwerl.html

Can I use this GUI with the MD24? I did try but couldn't get it working?
Is there something like this that works with the md24?

thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM

yes there is some programming involved -- see the firmware manual -- however it is shipped with a set of defaults. Your drumbeat is going to send a series of midi messages from Ableton to the MD24. I would expect these to be note on messages with different notes denoting each of the different drum heads and cymbals. The MD24 has to respond appropriately to each of these messages -- in order to do that, you have to map each of the note messages to a specific relay channel i.e. if the bass drum is sending midi note 36 and you want the bass drum to trigger relay channel 1 then you have to tell(program) the MD24 that that is the mapping. For each of your drumheads and cymbals that you have set up in the drumbeat, you have to do the same process until you run out of MD24 relay channels or drumheads/cymbals in your beat.

The way you build this mapping is through a series of sysex codes that you send from your PC to the MD24. This means using the MD24 manual to determine the Hex coding and using a software package like Bome's SendsysX to generate and send these mapping commands. This mapping is stored in the MD24.

SQWerl was designed to shortcut this process by providing a GUI interface so you didn't have to deal with trying to understand and build hex code strings as you can define what you want through its GUI interface and it also handles sending the programming to the MSA and retrieving the current programming from it. Unfortunately the program structure of the MD24 is different than the MSA's so it won't work for it.

Hope this clarifies !

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 02-10-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 02-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Hi Solenoid_nak,

As shipped, the MD24 is configured to respond to MIDI notes starting with Middle C. These are MIDI note numbers 60-83. As long as you can send these notes from Ableton Live, there should be no problem triggering the MD24 outputs.

If you want the MD24 to respond to the MIDI note #s that are already in your drum beat, then sysex programming will be required. If you can post the note numbers you need, I can help to write the configuration sysex.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Ok thanks for the info guys. I think I've screwed up the soldering somehow. I think that's the problem. I'm going to de solder and try again. If it doesn't work then I will purchase another that is already put together. Soldering is quite tricky, its an art form.

Will let you all know soon
thanks