Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Default Korg Mono/Poly

Hi.

First off. Excuse my poor english.

I have and old Mono/poly. I and i want midify.

I have buy a UMR, and it work partially.

the Korg Mono/Poly have 6 select lines and 8 data lines. It have 44 Keys.

When I plug the UMR into the Mono/Poly lines, only works the first 2 octaves. This 2 octaves are the 3 first select lines.

i have checked the wires, solders and sockets.

Its this UMR only 2 octaves range?

Thanks and regards.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcanton2000 View Post
I have buy a UMR, and it work partially.

the Korg Mono/Poly have 6 select lines and 8 data lines. It have 44 Keys.

When I plug the UMR into the Mono/Poly lines, only works the first 2 octaves. This 2 octaves are the 3 first select lines.

i have checked the wires, solders and sockets.

Its this UMR only 2 octaves range?
Ok...the UMR "auto-detects" the select signals when the UMR powers up--you will notice the activity LED light for about a second during this time.

It could be that the UMR does not "see" all of the select signals for some reason. If the host keyboard and UMR are powered up at the same time, maybe the host is not scanning all of the keys within that first second.

I would try adding a toggle switch in the UMR "+5V" power connection. Then, I would power up the host keyboard for several seconds before powering up the UMR. This way you can be sure that the key scanning is active when the UMR performs its detection.

Please let me know if that fixes the problem. If not, we'll do some other troubleshooting.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Furthermore. When I touch the Modulation controller or Pitch Bender in the MIDI Keyboard. The sustained sound cut and then continue.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi again.

Quote:
It could be that the UMR does not "see" all of the select signals for some reason. If the host keyboard and UMR are powered up at the same time, maybe the host is not scanning all of the keys within that first second.
I try this, but do not work.

The select lines in the host are Ok.

First i put the 1 2 3 select line of Host, in UMR input. And it work the first 2 octaves. When I play MIDI.

Then I put 4 5 6 select line of Host in the first UMR inputs. And it work. But the Host sound 2 octaves higher. As it is normal.

I have reviewed several times the welds and with a Multimeter reviewed possible short circuits at the inputs.

Also I have verified with a ocilloscope, the pulses at select lines and data outputs.

For me its the PIC controller, that not read Ok the inputs 4 5 and 6.

Furthermore. When I play in a MIDi controller notes 2 octaves higher. The host not sound but the data lines of UMR have activity pulses. That I guess the Host do not understand well.

If it possible that you send me the new Version 1.1 Firmware for the PIC . I have a Willem programer, and I can program the PIC16F194
Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
First i put the 1 2 3 select line of Host, in UMR input. And it work the first 2 octaves. When I play MIDI.

Then I put 4 5 6 select line of Host in the first UMR inputs. And it work. But the Host sound 2 octaves higher. As it is normal.
Ok, I understand. What is your setting for UMR SW1, position 8? Have you tried both "on" and "off"? Keep in mind that the UMR must be power-cycled in order for the changed setting to take effect.

Quote:
I have reviewed several times the welds and with a Multimeter reviewed possible short circuits at the inputs.

Also I have verified with a ocilloscope, the pulses at select lines and data outputs.

For me its the PIC controller, that not read Ok the inputs 4 5 and 6.

Furthermore. When I play in a MIDi controller notes 2 octaves higher. The host not sound but the data lines of UMR have activity pulses. That I guess the Host do not understand well.
Ok. You have done a good job with the troubleshooting--I appreciate your work. One other thing to check:

Try connecting UMR Select in 4, 5, 6 to the host's Select 1, 2, 3. This will help to further characterize the problem.

It could be that the UMR does not respond quickly enough to the select signals on this particular host, and therefore is not capable of complete functionality with this model.

Quote:
If it possible that you send me the new Version 1.1 Firmware for the PIC . I have a Willem programer, and I can program the PIC16F194
Please send an email so that I can find your purchase record. I'll be happy to ship an upgraded IC to you (although this may or may not solve your problem).
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 AM

My email is : fjcanton2000@yahoo.es.

I only need the code for the PIC.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
My email is : fjcanton2000@yahoo.es.

I only need the code for the PIC.

Thanks again.
I looked up your sales receipt--since you made the purchase in November of 2008, you already have the latest version of the UMR firmware (last updated February 2008).

Can you confirm that you've tried changing SW1 position #8? Note that the UMR must be power cycled before the new setting takes effect.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Ok, I understand. What is your setting for UMR SW1, position 8? Have you tried both "on" and "off"? Keep in mind that the UMR must be power-cycled in order for the changed setting to take effect.
Yes I have tried both positions. Only work in "off" mode or Slow mode.

Quote:
It could be that the UMR does not respond quickly enough to the select signals on this particular host, and therefore is not capable of complete functionality with this model.
Not its possible, modify the scan velocity in the UMR? I guess that modify a bit Slow or a bit Faster it work Ok.

Last edited by fjcanton2000; 02-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I have tried both positions. Only work in "off" mode or Slow mode.

Not its possible, modify the scan velocity in the UMR? I guess that modify a bit Slow or a bit Faster it work Ok.
The UMR select signal monitoring (and response) is implemented in software, which is not always fast enough to "keep up" with the host's scan routine. Depending on the clock speed of the host's MCU, a scan pulse might only last a couple of microseconds. For this keyboard model, it sounds like the UMR can "keep up" for the first few select signals, but does not operate fast enough to respond to all of them.

Without doing some hands-on inspection with an oscilloscope, there's not much other advice that I can give--it sounds like the UMR is only partially compatible with this host--sorry! There may be a future version of the UMR that would not have this limitation.