Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Default Recommended load for MSA-R relay?

Hello, I am putting a loop switching system together and I am not exactly clear on what each MSA-R output can provide to power additional relays. In the hardware manual it says the max output is 24V and 500 mA and as I understand it, thats for each output.

Would a good relay to use be something right in the middle like a 12v relay that pulls 30 mA?

Is there any chance of sticking on or off due to surges with this power scenario?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalcarl View Post
Hello, I am putting a loop switching system together and I am not exactly clear on what each MSA-R output can provide to power additional relays. In the hardware manual it says the max output is 24V and 500 mA and as I understand it, thats for each output.

Would a good relay to use be something right in the middle like a 12v relay that pulls 30 mA?

Is there any chance of sticking on or off due to surges with this power scenario?

Thanks in advance
Hi Carl,

Using the MSA-R to switch 30mA at 12V should not be a problem. I would not expect any sticking or other problems.

Because relay coils can exhibit "inrush current" higher than their rating, the closer you get to a 500mA rating, the more likely you will have trouble. But for a 30mA, things should work just fine.

Please let me know how the project turns out or if you have other questions.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM

I will, I was going to buy a simple MIDI controller like the MIDI Xchange but yesterday decided I could build that as well. I looked at the firmware for the MIDI CPU encoder and realized that is a little bit tougher than the decoder, especially since there is no utility like sqwerel. I am a couple of weeks away from making the foot controller but is there any easy way to set it up or is it all manual with switches and such.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalcarl View Post
I will, I was going to buy a simple MIDI controller like the MIDI Xchange but yesterday decided I could build that as well. I looked at the firmware for the MIDI CPU encoder and realized that is a little bit tougher than the decoder, especially since there is no utility like sqwerel. I am a couple of weeks away from making the foot controller but is there any easy way to set it up or is it all manual with switches and such.

Thanks
The MIDI CPU ships with a "factory default" config that allows you to send MIDI notes using switches connected to the control terminals (using ground for the common).

If you need something different, I'll be glad to help out with a wiring diagram and/or configuration sysex that will get things going for you. Please feel free to start a project thread at the MIDI CPU forum whenever you like.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Ok, Ill get back to you when I get to that point

Thanks