Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM

Default MIDI sequence software recomendation

I want to build a 2 or 3 octive air/steam caliope. I want to down load available Midi files and play them relatively seamlessly using MD24 cards. I down loaded Anvil Studio as a sequencer, and tinkered with a midi file for "How Great Thou Art". One problem is confining the note range to the 2-3 octives, and preserving the basic flare provided by the original arrangment. I could not figuare out how to edit easily and play it back with the missing notes. Is there a better solftware package for this purpose. Free software perferred.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmerb7 View Post
I want to build a 2 or 3 octive air/steam caliope. I want to down load available Midi files and play them relatively seamlessly using MD24 cards. I down loaded Anvil Studio as a sequencer, and tinkered with a midi file for "How Great Thou Art". One problem is confining the note range to the 2-3 octives, and preserving the basic flare provided by the original arrangment. I could not figuare out how to edit easily and play it back with the missing notes. Is there a better solftware package for this purpose. Free software perferred.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for joining the forum. I have sent Jeff a PM to ask about what he uses. He probably faces similar challenges when building things like this doorchime system:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=309

Jeff also built a stand-alone MIDI file playback device that does not require a computer. (See thread above.) You might find it interesting.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Tim,

More info about Jeff's MIDI file player is here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=485

I know this isn't what you are asking for but I still think you might find it relevant. Hopefully we'll get some more sequencer software recommendations.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hi Tim,

Thanks for joining the forum. I have sent Jeff a PM to ask about what he uses. He probably faces similar challenges when building things like this doorchime system:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=309

Jeff also built a stand-alone MIDI file playback device that does not require a computer. (See thread above.) You might find it interesting.
Hi John, I didn't receive the PM for some unknown reason. I stumbled across the thread when I dropped by today.

Tim; I using two different Mac based apps for editing, composition and sequencing tasks. The first is Intuem (not free, and not recommended because of some serious bugs), along with a free app called AriaMaestosa. The second app is used to work around bugs in the first app's editor.
I pulled the trigger and bought Apple's LogicPro last month. I've only tested a few of my existing files with it. It'll be a slow start for me considering it's an entirely new/different interface. Modifying existing material is very easy. It's learning the composition tools that will take time for a new user.

I'm sorry that I can't recommend a good-and-free sequencer.
The "you get what you pay for" analogy really applies with MIDI sequencing and composition tools. I wish I'd have started with a quality $ MIDI tool to begin with.

You're welcome to email me at: nixichron@gmail.com for any questions you might have that don't fit well in the Highly Liquid forum. I'm improving, although with only a couple years experience I still have much to learn

Regards, Jeff
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Jeff, thank you for the information.

P.S. I checked my "sent" folder and indeed, no PM was sent. I'm sure it was due to operator error. Very glad that you still found the post.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Exclamation Sequencer Solftware

I probably failed to forum by using E-Mail with Jeff rather than posting the string on the forum. Finding a sequencer for us PEECEE users remains an unsolved issue. Features I am seeking include:
1. ease in Midi file editing and play back to reduce the range of the arangement within the instument range, say 4-octive arrangment to a 2 octive file arrangement for the instrument. I have no MIDI keyboard skills.
2. Chord translation for reduced scale range- ie ability to translate say: 8 note chords to a comparable 4-note chord within the instrument range.

I have enjoyed the vision of success, and have revised the project to start by MIDIzing a cheap 2-octive wood marimba I have in the basement. This will allow me to work though the nuts and bolts of the hardware and software. I see it easier to add solenoid hammers to a marimba than building whistles at this stage.

Or Maybe I should get a MAC.
Timmerb7
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM

That sounds like a great starter project!

You'll probably need a copy of the revision 1.4 beta fixed-length note output programming. It requires pulling "PRGM 0" input to ground to invoke the bootloader before you apply power to the board. After reprogramming (transmitting the sysex message), remove the ground from PRGM0, and reboot the board.
You simply define the length of the pulse, and all 24 outputs follow the fixed pulse length condition defined in line 2 of the sysex message below.
A good pulse width starting value would be between 10-15.

Then, wire a driver circuit of your choice, or use John's published Darlington driver for each output channel used and you're on your way.

Below is an example of a sysex for ~120ms, and a note output scale from A4 to E6 (20 of the 24 outputs are assigned).

F0 00 01 5D 03 01
00 01 00 45
01 01 00 46
02 01 00 47
03 01 00 48
04 01 00 49
05 01 00 4A
06 01 00 4B
07 01 00 4C
08 01 00 4D
09 01 00 4E
0A 01 00 4F