Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
  #1  
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM
mgrsburbank mgrsburbank is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Default Pro Tools Record Indicator

Hi,

I am just trying to have the MSAT respond when Pro-Tools is recording so that the MSAT can trigger a relay and "Recording" light that I already have set up.

Is this possible?

I just don't know how to program the MSAT to do this.

Last edited by mgrsburbank; 05-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Hi mgrsburbank, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrsburbank View Post
Hi,

I am just trying to have the MSAT respond when Pro-Tools is recording so that the MSAT can trigger a relay and "Recording" light that I already have set up.

Is this possible?

I just don't know how to program the MSAT to do this.
I'm not sure which MIDI message is sent by Pro Tools for record start/stop. Do you know?

If it is a CC event or MIDI note, then you don't have to know what it is. Simply use the "learn" functionality of the MSA. The instructions to do this are on page 4 of the MSA firmware user manual.

If you'd rather not use the "learn" procedure, I recommend using Sqwerl to set up your MSA.

Let me know if this was helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM
mgrsburbank mgrsburbank is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Default JL Cooper Pro Tools indicators

Hi John,

Here is what I found. Is this usable?
I have attached a capture of the table.

LED Data
All messages from the computer to the control
surface are transmitted using SysEx commands
as follows:
F0h 15h 15h 00h cc vv F7h
In this case, cc means LED number, and vv
means value.
For the 7-segment LEDs, Bit 0 means segment a,
Bit 1 means segment b, and so on. In each case,
a set bit turns the segment on.
Table 3. LED Data
cc Name vv
00h Mute LED 1 00=off, 7Fh=on
01h-07h Mute LEDs 2-8 00=off, 7Fh=on
08h Select Mode LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
09h Locate Mode LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Ah Mute Mode LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Bh Solo Mode LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Ch Down Null LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Dh Up Null LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Eh Left Wheel LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
0Fh Right Wheel LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
10h 1s 7-Segment Digit (see below)
11h 10s 7-Segment
Digit
(see below)
12h Record LED 00=off, 7Fh=on
13h Decimal pt to right
of 10s digit
00=off, 7Fh=on
14h Decimal pt to right
of 1s digit
00=off, 7Fh=on
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LED Data.pdf (50.5 KB, 204 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
mgrsburbank mgrsburbank is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Default

I know that Pro Tools is transmitting in this format

Computer to CS-102 Communications
All messages from the computer to the CS-102 are transmitted
using Sysex commands as follows:
0F0h 15h 15h 00h cc vv 0F7h
where cc = LED number and vv = value

00 is LED off and 7Fh is on.

How can I translate this to making the MSAT trigger
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrsburbank View Post
I know that Pro Tools is transmitting in this format

Computer to CS-102 Communications
All messages from the computer to the CS-102 are transmitted
using Sysex commands as follows:
0F0h 15h 15h 00h cc vv 0F7h
where cc = LED number and vv = value

00 is LED off and 7Fh is on.

How can I translate this to making the MSAT trigger
The MSA does not currently change output state in response to sysex commands, sorry. There is an outstanding feature request for this. You can see it here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1050

I'm not sure when it might be implemented.

In the meantime, perhaps there is a workaround. Is there any way you can get protools to send a note or CC command simultaneously with record start/stop?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 PM
mgrsburbank mgrsburbank is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
Default Pro Tools Record Light. Up and Running

Thanks John for trying to help me.
If anyone cares:

Because Pro Tools is a little tight lipped about their midi. I downloaded the patch for the JL cooper CS-10 because it is no longer supported in pro-tools, but you can still find the component and manually put it in the application support/digi/controlsurfaces folder. Then, I just found out the sysex message for when the Record Light LED Goes "On" on the JL Cooper CS10 and input that into a Midi translator to trigger a CC which hits the MSA-T and the record lamp. I also put in the sysex for when Pro-tools goes out of record so the lamp goes on and off for quick punch and all that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrsburbank View Post
Thanks John for trying to help me.
If anyone cares:

Because Pro Tools is a little tight lipped about their midi. I downloaded the patch for the JL cooper CS-10 because it is no longer supported in pro-tools, but you can still find the component and manually put it in the application support/digi/controlsurfaces folder. Then, I just found out the sysex message for when the Record Light LED Goes "On" on the JL Cooper CS10 and input that into a Midi translator to trigger a CC which hits the MSA-T and the record lamp. I also put in the sysex for when Pro-tools goes out of record so the lamp goes on and off for quick punch and all that.
Thank you for posting this information. I'm glad that you found a way to get things working.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pro tools, recording light

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.