Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 PM

Default UMR2 and non-working keyboard

I plan to use UMR2 to midify my Korg Poly61 which has a poorly working keyboard. These keyboards are well-known for their cheap membrane switches. Midifiying a synth would make them playable again via external keyboard or sequencer and it would be cheaper than buying obsolete parts.

Howewer, in an installation manual i noticed that in a setup procedure one has to press all keys consecutively. On my synth it is clearly impossible.

Is there any workaround to install UMR2 into my synth? If not, this is a feature request.

Bye, Sreba
Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreba View Post
I plan to use UMR2 to midify my Korg Poly61 which has a poorly working keyboard. These keyboards are well-known for their cheap membrane switches. Midifiying a synth would make them playable again via external keyboard or sequencer and it would be cheaper than buying obsolete parts.

Howewer, in an installation manual i noticed that in a setup procedure one has to press all keys consecutively. On my synth it is clearly impossible.

Is there any workaround to install UMR2 into my synth? If not, this is a feature request.

Bye, Sreba
Hi Sreba, welcome to the forum.

I understand your dilemma. Thanks for the feature request.

For now, I recommend manually shorting the ribbon cable pins that correspond to the different keys. Does that make sense? I realize it will be a bit tedious, but it should be possible to do things that way. (You should be able to experiment beforehand, and get the Poly61 to produce notes using the same method.)
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Thank you for your answer. Well, it is not hard to fake keypresses, but i just wonder why such a procedure is actually necessary. I thought that it has something to do with debouncing, but with fake keypresses it wouldnt be accurate.

Also, i can imagine other uses for umr2, like midifiying computer keyboards, pinball machines and other machines with keys organized in a matrix.

greetings, Sreba
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreba View Post
Thank you for your answer. Well, it is not hard to fake keypresses, but i just wonder why such a procedure is actually necessary. I thought that it has something to do with debouncing, but with fake keypresses it wouldnt be accurate.

Also, i can imagine other uses for umr2, like midifiying computer keyboards, pinball machines and other machines with keys organized in a matrix.

greetings, Sreba
Pressing each key in sequence during setup makes it so that the UMR2 can work with as many matrix configurations as possible. There are some conventions used in designing keyboards, but they are not universal. The setup procedure allows the UMR2 to work with any ordering of notes inside of any matrix. If the UMR2 "assumed" the note ordering, it wouldn't be able to work correctly with some keyboards.

I hope that sort-of makes sense.