Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Default MSA-R with Instrument Level signals...

Hi,

I found this thread that states the MSA-R can handle audio signals at line level (depending on the source a range of -10dB to +4dB).

I'm using the MSA-R to switch different instrument levels (sourced from a passive humbucking guitar pickup) and am finding that the MSA-R seems to be attenuating the signal. I've A/B'ed the MSA-R output with a standard direct output from the pickup and there's a noticeable drop in gain, ear-balling it I'd guess about 6 to 8dB.

Instrument levels tend to be between -25 and -15dB depending on the instrument. Does this attenuation sound like expected results or is there a ghost in my signal chain that I may be overlooking?

Many thanks for your help!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFlaneur View Post
Hi,

I found this thread that states the MSA-R can handle audio signals at line level (depending on the source a range of -10dB to +4dB).

I'm using the MSA-R to switch different instrument levels (sourced from a passive humbucking guitar pickup) and am finding that the MSA-R seems to be attenuating the signal. I've A/B'ed the MSA-R output with a standard direct output from the pickup and there's a noticeable drop in gain, ear-balling it I'd guess about 6 to 8dB.

Instrument levels tend to be between -25 and -15dB depending on the instrument. Does this attenuation sound like expected results or is there a ghost in my signal chain that I may be overlooking?

Many thanks for your help!
I suspect it is not the MSA-R that is causing the attenuation. The MSA-R relays should behave just like any SPST switch for this purpose.

For your reference, the MSA-R uses COTO 9007-05-01 relays. You can get the datasheet here:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/89/9000_Spartan-6107.pdf

The MSA-R output terminals are simply connected directly to the relay contacts.