Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Default Sequencing of 6-10 notes?

Hi, I've got an idea for a project (amp/speaker selector), and the design requires a series of relays to toggle in a certain order, with settling delays and what not. In a MIDI sense, that becomes a momentary switch triggering a sequence of events that eventually turn into MIDI signals that do the relay toggling at the other end, which would be a MIDI decoder doing the relay driving. To what level can a sequence like this be stored in the controller?
If none, I'll have to figure out a hardware sequencer. The event count when a change happens is less than 16, maybe even 1/2 that, but it depends on the current state. Oh, that brings up another question about keeping state. Is the encoder keeping state at all? I'm guessing not, which would be another reason for a hardware sequencer.
Thx, ChrisR
Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
Hi, I've got an idea for a project (amp/speaker selector), and the design requires a series of relays to toggle in a certain order, with settling delays and what not. In a MIDI sense, that becomes a momentary switch triggering a sequence of events that eventually turn into MIDI signals that do the relay toggling at the other end, which would be a MIDI decoder doing the relay driving. To what level can a sequence like this be stored in the controller?
If none, I'll have to figure out a hardware sequencer. The event count when a change happens is less than 16, maybe even 1/2 that, but it depends on the current state. Oh, that brings up another question about keeping state. Is the encoder keeping state at all? I'm guessing not, which would be another reason for a hardware sequencer.
Thx, ChrisR
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

The MIDI CPU, at least in its current hardware incarnation, does not support creating internally-timed output sequences (and probably won't in the future).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "keeping state". Can you explain further?

Depending on the complexity of sequencing required, there is a chance that the MIDI decoder (like the MSA) could assist with delaying MIDI events. But this would be a relatively simple, fixed-delay type of function. This is not a current feature, but delayed output is something that has been suggested in feature requests.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 AM

Thanks John. Never mind about the state. This is an end-device problem. I'm also re-thinking the overall architecture. The device is an amp/speaker switcher that needs remote (and local) control. I have an FCB1010, so I can send the 8-9 midi signals I need. The actual device would also have local selector controls (8-9 buttons), including the sequencer, that would be midi triggered. I'll have to figure out how to draw a picture to describe this better. I think I'll end up needing both a controller and decoder/relay driver (or several) in the device.

Thx, Chris