Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Roland SH-101?

Hello.

Has anyone successfully added MIDI to Roland's SH-101? The question for me is can the 101 deliver enough power to run the UMR-2 from the original batteries or mains power supply.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:24 PM

So no body knows if the UMR-2 can work with the SH101?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Hi Psyfi,

I don't believe I've gotten any feedback about an SH-101 installation. As with all keyboards, this link has the information about potential compatibility:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1133

As for power consumption, the UMR2 will typically draw less that 30mA at 5V. This is probably very small compared to the rest of the circuitry on an older synth.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Hi John thanks for the reply. Well the 101 apparently has trouble supplying the synhouse midijack kit with 35mA on the 15v line but the 5v line at 30mA might be a different story. the synhouse way to get round this is to use a different PSU and tap power from the DC input meaning battery operation is obsolete. If the UMR-2 does cause an issue on the 5v line than maybe I could add a little board to provide a regulated 5v from the DC input in much the same way. I much prefer how the MUR-2 operates in comparison the synhouse midi jack kit 'being able to use the keyboard and midi without flicking a switch between the two, if I've read the manual correctly. so I'll weigh up the pros and cons.