Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 PM

Exclamation Casio CT-636

Hi just installed an UMR2 into Casio CT-636. It has a 6x11 matrix seems to be +ve polarity.

as an aside if the extra i/o could be reprogrammed as select lines would be good:-)

Anyway it works fine when controlled remotely over MIDI.
- however as a controller keyboard it sends extra notes rapidly repeating
The top 6 notes are ok but as as one comes down the keyboard more notes (select lines?) are added until its buzzing like a hornets nest. There is also a rapid (10hz?) vibrato as well.

when I short a single select with a data line on the UMR2 using a jumper wire it works fine.

I tried reversing the polarity but this just caused all the notes to dump at once on switch on and and I couldn't program it as well it no longer worked as a slave.

I reversed the polarity and it still works as it did before.

Any ideas?

i will try one data/select line at a time and see how that works.
cheers
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Hi Alesis, welcome to the forum. Thank you for reporting your results with the CT-636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesis View Post
Hi just installed an UMR2 into Casio CT-636. It has a 6x11 matrix seems to be +ve polarity.

as an aside if the extra i/o could be reprogrammed as select lines would be good:-)
I agree. Unfortunately, the algorithm used on the UMR2 combined with the memory size of the microcontroller limits the total select lines to 9. For what it's worth, two UMR2s can be combined to cover the entire matrix. To do that, each data line is connected in parallel to UMR2s. The select lines are divided into two groups, each group connected to only one UMR2.

Quote:
Anyway it works fine when controlled remotely over MIDI.
- however as a controller keyboard it sends extra notes rapidly repeating
The top 6 notes are ok but as as one comes down the keyboard more notes (select lines?) are added until its buzzing like a hornets nest. There is also a rapid (10hz?) vibrato as well.

when I short a single select with a data line on the UMR2 using a jumper wire it works fine.

I tried reversing the polarity but this just caused all the notes to dump at once on switch on and and I couldn't program it as well it no longer worked as a slave.

I reversed the polarity and it still works as it did before.

Any ideas?

i will try one data/select line at a time and see how that works.
cheers
Given that the MIDI input (sound module) mode works like it should, that means that the setup is correct.

There are some keyboards that simply do not work well in MIDI controller mode. Sometimes this can be caused by extra signals on the data bus that "confuse" the UMR2. I don't have any fix for this when it happens, sorry!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Thanks John.
I wondered if adding extra diodes to data lines may help

Tags
casio, ct-636, umr2