Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 03-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Default Tempo click/flash to MIDI CLOCK?

Hi,

I had been considering using an Arduino to accomplish the following task but stumbled across the Highly Liquid products and wondered if they would be easier/better suited to do what I need.

I have a looping pedal (original Digitech Jam-Man mono) that does not have any way to sync with an external drum machine, etc. However, it does flash s tempo LED "GREEN-RED-RED-RED" with the tempo. I also have various "toy" Casio type keyboards from the 1980s which have a tempo flash feature and it would be nice to synchronize these with MIDI gear for some musical projects.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to have a device monitor the tempo flash (with an light sensor stuck over the tempo light with a bit of putty) and then calculate a MIDI clock signal that would be in synch with this steady tempo.

A more advanced version of this would be to tap into the voltage going to the tempo LED and directly feed that to such a device, which would sense the voltage spikes.

The nice fellow that runs this forum suggested I sign up here and post this question. He suggested that their MIDI CPU device and a 555 timer chip could accomplish something.

If I may quote him:

Quote:
It is important to note that the MIDI clock signal is 24ppq. So if
your trigger signal is based on quarters, eighths, etc, you will
probably need to triple the signal in order to get satisfactory
results. At present, the MIDI CPU does not multiply the clock in any
way.
So I'd like to present this subject to the forum.

Now - as for my level of electrical skill - I am able to do fine solder work and identify/replace/install components. I am able to use a multi-meter. Lots of experience there. I am not an electrical engineer or circuit designer - so everything there would be a learning experience.

Looking forward to what the forum has to say.

Last edited by Ral-Clan; 03-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.