Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff242 View Post
Well. I finally got round to building my incarnation of Wabbitguy's switcher. I went without the buffers for now as most of my speaker load boxes have transformer coupled line outs. I left room in the case for them, just in case

I bought a 2U case as I also wanted to incorporate a MIDI thru board as a couple of my devices only have In/Out. I did build a board from the circuit that John publishes but wasn't particularly happy with the quality of the PCB and found this http://lowgain-audio.com/midithru.htm which was perfect if slightly over the top for the number of thru ports

I also had room for an internal PSU as I hate wall warts.
I had to make to with stealing my son's Dymo for labelling for now. I might look to doing the waterslide thing next time round

So far it's working pretty well and I'm one happy bunny.
I've 6 loops and two switch ports which use both relays so effectively four switch ports which work to change amp channels.

Cheers,

Jeff
Now THAT is a well built and SWEET looking project!!!

I like the looks of that internal PSU!

I labeled mine with a Dymo as well (found the water slide not exactly as easy to put on as I'd envisioned). In the meantime I've been building a few stomp box pedals and found that Rayven Repro Film (I print on it with a colour laser here) works absolutely fabulous. Self adhesive and on a gloss surface the label almost disappears. Pricey, but worth it for me.

Any way, congrats on a very well done project!

Mel
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Psu

Thanks for the kind comments.

The PSU was from a reasonably close supplier via Ebay and was very cheap for the quality of the product.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...d=705424740006

I also added an external 9V regulator to ease the load on the ones fitted to the various boards as it was only a few pence and I had the space

Cheers, Jeff
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments.

The PSU was from a reasonably close supplier via Ebay and was very cheap for the quality of the product.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...d=705424740006

I also added an external 9V regulator to ease the load on the ones fitted to the various boards as it was only a few pence and I had the space

Cheers, Jeff
The link has apparently expired but I found some from off shore so I ordered four of them for my own future projects. Literally the same price as the walwarts I use all the time. The only additional cost was the IEC320 socket.

I would add that these "switcher" style PSU's are great for this type of work, but I'd want linear or something with better filtering for anything audio related. The cheap switchers tend to embed some noise on the power lines and may not play nice with audio...

Mel
Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for posting this massively informative thread!
I've been inspired by the iPatch to create a similar piece of equipment.
I've got a bit of experience tinkering with pedals, but this will definitely be the biggest project I've undertaken.
I've been looking for a MIDI switcher to tame my pedal collection for a while, I have absolutely no experience with building MIDI equipment, but with an MSA-R and wabbitguy's program Sqwerl, I think I'll be able to handle it... or at least I hope.
Wish me luck!
I'll keep you updated
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Probably time for an update.

I built the iPatch in Oct/Nov 2010. Sqwerl was also developed in there at some point as well... The iPatch has been in my studio since that time and it's seen use every single day. Actually, I never turn it off (unless the power company has an outage) so its been powered up and on 24/7/365 since Nov 2011.

I've used my Behringer FCB1010 to control it, I've used my DAW to control it (change patches for different parts of a recording so I can concentrate on playing not "stomping") and I slapped together an Arduino to control it via MIDI. In each case, it's performed flawlessly.

The new MSA 3.2 firmware will increase the iPatch control for even wider latitude and control. In the meantime, it's just really satisfying to have at least one piece of gear that just works, never hiccups and never needs fixing/updating/drivers and so on.

Since the iPatch has been in use all that time, would I change anything from the original design?

YES!

But not what you probably think. The LED's I used in the front panel are "super bright" types (12,000+ mcd). In hindsight, if I was doing live work outside it would be a benefit. In the studio though, all it does is prompt the neighbours to ask me what that blue/green ethereal glow is emanating from my studio window.... So, diffused LED's! And that is the only change that I'd make.

Now the "silly" in me has debated about adding an Arduino with an LCD to monitor the MSA output relays and display the info on a 2x16 LCD (or 4x20). That way I could even name the "effect loop". The benefit is that it would take less room than a bunch of LED's and provide more info. Plus, it'd be trendy. Like a duck...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Default nice idea

Like you my version of your switcher lives permanently in the "studio" but due to the creative use of a dymo label under each LED I don't need the LCD....

But I could do with it on my Behringher FCB1010. I updated it with the LG-FCB board (http://www.lg-fcb.com/index.php) which means my poor brain now has to remember what all the buttons do

Do you have any plans to update SQWERL for the new firmware? I'm getting quite adept at the SYSEX, but do miss using the ease of SQWERL.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Do you have any plans to update SQWERL for the new firmware? I'm getting quite adept at the SYSEX, but do miss using the ease of SQWERL.
Mel has just uploaded Sqwerl 2.2 with support for MSA version 3.2. More info here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=453
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 AM

Hi guys

Newb here.

I have an MSA-R and am reasonably proficient at electronics (built many amps), but have never delved in the world of MIDI before.

I want to build a loop switcher like this. 6 x loops (3 in front of the amp, 3 in the FX loop) and 2 amp switching functions. Simple enough.

I understand fully how to implement this, except for one thing, which as far as I can tell hasn't been discussed in this thread.

How do you program this thing?

I want to have 8 x LEDs on the front panel along with 8 x switches that activate or deactivate the loop/amp function. From what I can see, the MSA-R alone will not do this, you need to pair it with a MIDI CPU, which would connect up the 8 x momentary switches and the MIDI output of the CPU would connect to the MSA-R and send the Control Change message to each individual relay.

Am I correct?

I should say, my MIDI pedal only outputs Program Change messages, so I can program the loops from my board, it will be a "preset" style setup.

Thanks

Kurt
Old 06-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Hi Kurt, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmay View Post
I have an MSA-R and am reasonably proficient at electronics (built many amps), but have never delved in the world of MIDI before.

I want to build a loop switcher like this. 6 x loops (3 in front of the amp, 3 in the FX loop) and 2 amp switching functions. Simple enough.

I understand fully how to implement this, except for one thing, which as far as I can tell hasn't been discussed in this thread.

How do you program this thing?
You can send the MSA a special sysex message to assign different MIDI commands to the outputs and also to set up which MIDI commands are used to stored and recall presets. You can do this manually (using something like SendSX) or you can do it using Sqwerl.

The preset "slots" can be populated with Sqwerl. You can use a MIDI footswitch to program the presets one-at-a-time, but only if the footswitch can send CC or MIDI notes. PC is good for preset recall, but not so good for setting each output individually.

Quote:
I want to have 8 x LEDs on the front panel along with 8 x switches that activate or deactivate the loop/amp function. From what I can see, the MSA-R alone will not do this, you need to pair it with a MIDI CPU, which would connect up the 8 x momentary switches and the MIDI output of the CPU would connect to the MSA-R and send the Control Change message to each individual relay.

Am I correct?
Yes. The MSA requires MIDI input to alter the output states, since it does not allow for "local" switch input. You can do this with the MIDI CPU or an off-the-shelf footswitch MIDI controller that can send CC or note messages to control the individual MSA outputs.

The LEDs can be driven by the MSA itself. If you order the "Option C" with the LEDs uninstalled, you can wire remote LEDs of your choice to the MSA board. They will share the same control signal as the relays, so they will always reflect the relay states. See the MSA hardware manual for more details.

Please let me know if this was helpful or not.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks John, yes it helps and confirms my understanding.

I think I'll be ordering a MIDI CPU!

Cheers

Kurt