Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Default Midi Foot Controller for Kemper Profiling Amp

Hi guys,

first of all I have to say, this is a very interesting forum about very
interesting products. I'm pretty new to the whole midi programming thing
but I have professional help at hand to realize the little project I want to do.

So here's what I want:

I'm a guitarist using a Kemper Profiling Amp and I want to control it. Change patches and effects on and off.
I thought about it a bit and since I want to keep things simple, I think I can control everything I want with a single layout. So no program changes, only CC.
The KPA allows me to change rigs via MIDI CC.
So every button in the final layout will have one single CC to send which I hope will be relatively easy :-)
I want to have some LED indicators to show me what I'm currently using. That will be a bit more complicated I guess. There will be five buttons for rig change and there should be only one LED active at a time. So if i press button two, only the second LED is on etc.
One of the buttons should be TAP-Tempo so the LED should be blinking in time.

I also want to be able to connect two expression pedals to my midi-footcontroller, which will also have only one single thing to do.

I'm not yet sure about the way to show me what rig I'm in.
Since I've seen videos where Midicontrollers take over the name and tuner ability of the kemper, I guess it is sending some date on its midi-out. But I'm not yet deep enough into it to know how this works :-)
In the best case I can integrate some kind of little display that shows me whats going on in the KPA. If it is not possible I will live with that.

So what product(s) do I need to realize this? And how complex will my unit be?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SteelDOM; 10-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDOM View Post
Hi guys,

first of all I have to say, this is a very interesting forum about very
interesting products. I'm pretty new to the whole midi programming thing
but I have professional help at hand to realize the little project I want to do.

So here's what I want:

I'm a guitarist using a Kemper Profiling Amp and I want to control it. Change patches and effects on and off.
I thought about it a bit and since I want to keep things simple, I think I can control everything I want with a single layout. So no program changes, only CC.
The KPA allows me to change rigs via MIDI CC.
So every button in the final layout will have one single CC to send which I hope will be relatively easy :-)
I want to have some LED indicators to show me what I'm currently using. That will be a bit more complicated I guess. There will be five buttons for rig change and there should be only one LED active at a time. So if i press button two, only the second LED is on etc.
One of the buttons should be TAP-Tempo so the LED should be blinking in time.

I also want to be able to connect two expression pedals to my midi-footcontroller, which will also have only one single thing to do.

I'm not yet sure about the way to show me what rig I'm in.
Since I've seen videos where Midicontrollers take over the name and tuner ability of the kemper, I guess it is sending some date on its midi-out. But I'm not yet deep enough into it to know how this works :-)
In the best case I can integrate some kind of little display that shows me whats going on in the KPA. If it is not possible I will live with that.

So what product(s) do I need to realize this? And how complex will my unit be?

Thanks in advance!
Hi SteelDOM, welcome to the forum.

At its simplest (5 CC switches with indicator LEDs and 2 expression pedals), this project is very straightforward and can be done with a single MIDI CPU:

http://midicpu.com

There are many similar projects already discussed and documented, if you search for them. Here are two that seem to be closely related to what you want to do:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=348
http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1157

When you are ready, feel free to create a project thread. The first task for you will be to create a list of MIDI CPU control terminals and the function you'd like to assign to each. You'll only need about 13 terminals to implement the project. From there, we can discuss things in more detail.