Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Yamaha PSS-470 MIDI Retrofit Guide

I have a PSS-470. I read recently that the UMR2 (unlike it's predecessor the UMR) is compatible with this keyboard. Could you post the installation instructions for this please?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthpopalooza View Post
I have a PSS-470. I read recently that the UMR2 (unlike it's predecessor the UMR) is compatible with this keyboard. Could you post the installation instructions for this please?
Hi Synthpopalooza, welcome to the forum. I happen to have a PSS-470 on hand and will be posting the connections. Please bump the thread if I forget.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Hey John. Any news on that PSS-470? I'm really interested in doing a midi-retrofit of this keyboard as well but I don't have much experience with electronics and I would love to see someone with more knowledge demonstrate if it is possible.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.lands View Post
Hey John. Any news on that PSS-470? I'm really interested in doing a midi-retrofit of this keyboard as well but I don't have much experience with electronics and I would love to see someone with more knowledge demonstrate if it is possible.
Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the bump. I will be looking into this as soon as I get a chance.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Default Yamaha PSS-470 Installation Instructions

Step #0: Read the UMR2 user manual! You can download it from the UMR2 product page.

Always remove batteries and disconnect any power supply from the host keyboard before wiring activity.

1. (VERY IMPORTANT) Connect Matrix Polarity Jumper

Connect the UMR2 Matrix Polarity Jumper for the "Active Low" setting. You can do this by soldering a small piece of wire as shown.

2. Power and MIDI: Wiring and Test

Connect the UMR2 "DC IN" terminals and MIDI terminals as shown in the diagram. With the host keyboard powered on, test the MIDI signal path by making the following connections:

MIDI Controller MIDI Out -> UMR2 MIDI In
UMR2 MIDI Out -> Sound Module MIDI In

Test the UMR2 "software MIDI thru" by attempting to control the sound module with the MIDI controller. This confirms that the MIDI and power wiring are correct.

3. Matrix and Switch Wiring

Complete the matrix wiring and PRGM and MODE switch wiring as shown in the diagram.

Host power and ribbon locations:

4. UMR2 Setup Procedure

Complete the UMR2 Setup Procedure as described in the UMR2 user manual. This allows the UMR2 to "learn" the keyboard switch matrix configuration of the host, and also sets the MIDI channel and note range.

5. Post Feedback

Post a reply to let us know how this worked for you.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks for posting this John. I am very excited to begin this project once I have some extra time on my hands. The PSS-470 is a pretty underrated synth!

There is one other thing that I am curious about. Is there any way that the UMR2 can be connected to PSS-470 in a way that would allow for a MIDI signal to be sent to the sliders so their motion can be controlled via a sequencer? If not, are any of the other Highly Liquid products capable of doing this? I dont have an extensive or full knowledge of electronics to say the least, so please forgive my ignorance.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
There is one other thing that I am curious about. Is there any way that the UMR2 can be connected to PSS-470 in a way that would allow for a MIDI signal to be sent to the sliders so their motion can be controlled via a sequencer? If not, are any of the other Highly Liquid products capable of doing this? I dont have an extensive or full knowledge of electronics to say the least, so please forgive my ignorance.
If the sliders have discreet positions that are implemented as matrixed switches, it might be possible. But it would probably be very tricky to figure it all out. (Plus the UMR2 only responds to notes, so you'd be using notes to control the sliders.)

Another possibility would be to use an MSA-P MIDI decoder to control the switch contacts.

No matter the approach, it would probably take a lot of experimentation to get something useful.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Hey John. I wired up the UMR 2 today to the PSS-470. Had a little hurdle while setting it up. I had the Midi IN wired incorrectly. . . But it works great now! Here's a video I made to demonstrate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYp...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Hey John. I wired up the UMR 2 today to the PSS-470. Had a little hurdle while setting it up. I had the Midi IN wired incorrectly. . . But it works great now! Here's a video I made to demonstrate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYp...ature=youtu.be
Aaron, thank you for posting the video!