Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 01-14-2015, 03:24 AM

Default Help with programming MIDIWidget

Hi,

I am a bit confused on some of the commands and operation of the MIDIWidget configurator program and would appreciate some help. I am interested in programming most of the outputs of the MIDIWidget to turn on (logic high) with a note-on, and off (logic low) in a specified number of milliseconds. Some of the other outputs will be like the “note toggle” command of the MD24 (on for a note-on and off for the following note-on); and the rest of the outputs I want to be on until a note-off command is received. What programming commands will allow me to do this?

Other questions are:

How do the 4 “logic note” commands (on/off; on toggle; on, fixed duration; and on, match only; work?

Does and “X” in the box mean that function is active or inactive?

What is “control by preset” and how does it work?

What is “preset recall command” and “preset store command”?

What is the grid to the right of the preset commands and how does one use it?

I would like to be able to store several sets of output configurations of the MIDIWidget and call them up instantaneously by sending a MIDI note number. Can I do this with the preset feature?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Hi Jeff,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Hi,

I am a bit confused on some of the commands and operation of the MIDIWidget configurator program and would appreciate some help. I am interested in programming most of the outputs of the MIDIWidget to turn on (logic high) with a note-on, and off (logic low) in a specified number of milliseconds. Some of the other outputs will be like the “note toggle” command of the MD24 (on for a note-on and off for the following note-on); and the rest of the outputs I want to be on until a note-off command is received. What programming commands will allow me to do this?

Other questions are:

How do the 4 “logic note” commands (on/off; on toggle; on, fixed duration; and on, match only; work?
I'm attaching a small portion of a screencap to go with this explanation.

The note-related output modes are:

"Logic: Note On/Off" means: Output is low by default. Matching Note-On message causes high output. Matching Note-Off message causes low output.

"Logic: Note On Toggle" means: Output is low by default. Matching Note-On message causes output to change state (either low-to-high or high-to-low). Note-Off messages ignored.

"Logic: Note On, Fixed Duration" means: Output is low by default. Matching Note-On message causes high output. Output returns to low level after number of milliseconds in the "duration" box. Note-Off messages are ignored.

"Logic: Note On, Match Only" means: Output is low be default. Matching Note-On message causes high output. Any other note message causes low output. Note-Off messages ignored.

For the above, "matching" means: matching MIDI channel, matching note number, and for note-one messages, a velocity equal to or greater than the "threshold" value.

If the "invert" box is checked, that means that the "low" and "high" should be swapped in the descriptions above. (In other words, the output is logically inverted.)

Quote:
Does and “X” in the box mean that function is active or inactive?
"X" is like a checkmark. So if the "X" is in the box, then that function is active.

Quote:
What is “control by preset” and how does it work?
The MIDIWidget has 128 internal "presets", each of which contains output states of all 24 outputs.

If an output has "control by preset" enabled, then its output state will be updated whenever a preset is recalled. (In addition to whatever behavior is specified by the output mode for the output.)

If an output has "control by preset" disabled, then its output state will not be affected by the recall of a preset.

Quote:
What is “preset recall command” and “preset store command”?
If you would like to use the preset functionality, then you can choose a MIDI command to "store" a preset, and a command type to "recall" a preset.

Preset recall command: Updates outputs with contents of specified preset. The preset # is identified by the note number, CC number, or program number, depending on the message type.

Preset store command: Takes a "snapshot" of the current output states and stores them to the preset # that was most recently recalled.

Quote:
What is the grid to the right of the preset commands and how does one use it?
If you'd like, you can view and edit the contents of the presets using the configurator. The are read and written just like the output configuration.

The presets can also be edited during normal operation, as described above, using the preset store and recall commands.

Quote:
I would like to be able to store several sets of output configurations of the MIDIWidget and call them up instantaneously by sending a MIDI note number. Can I do this with the preset feature?
If by "output configuration" you mean static output states, then yes. If you mean a collection of individual output behaviors (output mode assignments), then no.
Attached Images