Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Current Products > MIDIWidget

Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Default MIDIWidget Configurator Issues, ACT LED Question

J. writes:

Quote:
I have been using the configurator program on several different computers and operating systems. It seems to run on Windows 7, Vista and XP, but when I go to actually program the MIDIWidget via the USB, I get a time out error when writing the program to the MIDIWidget on all but my fastest computer running Windows 7. The good news is that when the time out error occurs during the “verify” part of the programming cycle, the MIDIWidget has actually accepted the program and, so far, the program has been working.
This is the first report of its kind so far. I'm not sure the reason for this and haven't been able to reproduce a similar result. If another user experiences this, maybe they will see this thread and we can look for commonalities.

Quote:
The red/green LED seems to turn green at power up and red after a programming error, as above. The red LED flashes, and the green one is still lit, when the 5 pin MIDI connector is connected to a MIDI source that is turned on, but as far as I know, not transmitting any MIDI signals. Is all this normal?
My guess is that the connected device is sending Active Sense messages. Does the blinking happen roughly 3-4 times per second? This is normal.

Quote:
Can I program the MIDIWidget via the USB when the 5 pin MIDI Connectors are connected and the red LED is flashing (green LED still lit)?
Yes, this should be no problem.

Quote:
Can I program the MIDIWidget with the 5 pin MIDI connectors like the MD24 was programmed?
For now, the configurator requires a USB link. It will not communicate with the MIDIWidget via 5-pin MIDI.

There are no alternatives yet. I may implement a "learn" function that will allow basic MIDIWidget configuration without the use of a computer.

Last edited by John; 02-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 AM

Default Programming problems

Hi all,

As I mentioned in the previous post above I am having reliability problems in programming the MIDIWidget with the Configurator program. The problem is it successfully programs and verifies maybe 30% of the time with repeated programming with the same computers running Windows XP or Vista. It does much better on my newest quad-core computer running Windows 7 professional, but that computer is not portable. When the Configurator program fails to program and verify the program I get a "timeout error", the MIDIWidget LED turns red and the MIDIWidget must be "reset" by interrupting the power (turn on and off). As mentioned in the previous post, often the Configurator program will time-out in the verify part of the program cycle. When this happens, in all cases so far, the MIDIWidget has been successfully programmed, but I still have to cycle the power on and off to turn off the red LED and use the MIDWidget. My ultimate goal is to be able to remotely (wireless) program the MIDWidge since I work with lights on towers. With that in mind, a few questions:

Has anyone else experienced these programming problems?

Is there anyway to use the MIDIWidget after it has, apparently, been successfully programmed but failed to verify and the red LED is lit.

Does the MIDIWidget automatically reset itself after a period of time or do I still need to power cycle it to get the green light on?

If it does not reset is it difficult to modify the MIDIWidget programming to automatically reset (turn the green LED on) after a short period of time?

Can anyone suggest a way that the MIDIWidget can be programmed with a wireless device? Wireless USB is hard to find but there are some units with communicate with USB over a LAN. User reviews say these devices are unreliable with "non-standard" devices such as microprocessors, etc. They are apparently designed to work with printers, hard drives, etc. Amazon has a "IOGEAR Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204" that is inexpensive. It apparently works with the Arduino. Does anyone know if it might work with the MIDIWidget?

Thanks,

Jeffrey
Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Hi all,

As I mentioned in the previous post above I am having reliability problems in programming the MIDIWidget with the Configurator program. The problem is it successfully programs and verifies maybe 30% of the time with repeated programming with the same computers running Windows XP or Vista. It does much better on my newest quad-core computer running Windows 7 professional, but that computer is not portable. When the Configurator program fails to program and verify the program I get a "timeout error", the MIDIWidget LED turns red and the MIDIWidget must be "reset" by interrupting the power (turn on and off). As mentioned in the previous post, often the Configurator program will time-out in the verify part of the program cycle. When this happens, in all cases so far, the MIDIWidget has been successfully programmed, but I still have to cycle the power on and off to turn off the red LED and use the MIDWidget. My ultimate goal is to be able to remotely (wireless) program the MIDWidge since I work with lights on towers. With that in mind, a few questions:

Has anyone else experienced these programming problems?
Here's one thing that might solve the problem. In the configurator "Edit" menu, select the "Overdrive" option. Does this help?

Overdrive is something in Max/MSP (the visual programming language used to create the configurator) that improves real-time performance. So it might speed up the MIDI I/O and prevent the timeouts you are experiencing.

Quote:
Is there anyway to use the MIDIWidget after it has, apparently, been successfully programmed but failed to verify and the red LED is lit.

Does the MIDIWidget automatically reset itself after a period of time or do I still need to power cycle it to get the green light on?
Not currently, no. A power cycle is the only way to resume normal operation in this case.

Quote:
If it does not reset is it difficult to modify the MIDIWidget programming to automatically reset (turn the green LED on) after a short period of time?
I think that this is a good idea. I'll put it on the feature to-do list.

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a way that the MIDIWidget can be programmed with a wireless device? Wireless USB is hard to find but there are some units with communicate with USB over a LAN. User reviews say these devices are unreliable with "non-standard" devices such as microprocessors, etc. They are apparently designed to work with printers, hard drives, etc. Amazon has a "IOGEAR Wireless 4-Port USB Sharing Station GUWIP204" that is inexpensive. It apparently works with the Arduino. Does anyone know if it might work with the MIDIWidget?
I don't have any suggestions here, sorry.