Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > General Discussion > Product Selection Help

Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 AM

Default Help building a midi floor switcher to control Eventide H9 & Novadrive

I've searched high and low online forever trying to find a simple midi floor switcher for my Eventide H9 (midi controlled multi effects pedal) and TC Electronics Novadrive (midi controlled overdrive).
I seek many preset buttons...at least 18 plus up/down bank buttons.
I've owned the VooDoo Labs Ground Control which didn't quite meet my needs, and currently use a Softstep 2, which is ok due to its small size, but doesn't have enough buttons and the soft rubber-like pads just don't give me a positive response feeling under my foot.

In a nutshell: I seek to build a midi floor switcher that can accommodate at least 18 preset buttons plus 2 more as up/down banks. In as small of an enclosure as I can fit everything.
In looking at the Midi Widget, Midi CPU, and the EZMidi, can any of these do what I seek? Which is....
1. accommodate 18 buttons
2. accommodate (up/down) banks
3. I don't need CC or IA, I just want to randomly recall a preset from the Eventide H9 which has 99 presets.
For example: I want to be able to send preset #46 on my H9 to preset #6 on the DIY MIDI switcher.

I would love to have a setup (similar to my softstep 2) where I would have 3 rows of 6 buttons (silent stomp switches) . The bottom 6 buttons would control the Novadrives Overdrive presets with preset #1 (off) bringing me back to my unaffected clean tone. (The other bottom row button presets 2,3,4,5 & 6 would have various degrees of overdrive)

Then the other 2 top rows of 6 buttons would control the Eventide h9 in which I would have preset Flanger/Chorus/Delay/other various effects.

What I would like to be able to do...(which I do with the Softstep), is to step on an overdrive preset (which remains on) while I go through whatever effects I choose to add on top of the overdrive.
Then I would either step on that same overdrive preset switch to stop the modular effect but continue with the overdrive still on.... or I would step on preset #1 (off), which brings me back to my clean unaffected preset. Both overdrive and Modulation effect would then be off.

4. Could I add some kind of alphanumeric display to name presets *and* additionally have led lights to know which button is active? If not both, then what about either/or?

Phew! A lot to ask, and I hope you understand what I seek.
Im new(ish) to midi, and though I know there are a couple units out there with the many switches I seek (CAE/RJM/LiquidFt/MaxControl/etc), they are just too expensive, too large and heavy, or just too difficult to setup.

Any help (and your patience) is appreciated.
Thanx
- Robert

Last edited by xxtwighlight; 04-16-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtwighlight View Post
I've searched high and low online forever trying to find a simple midi floor switcher for my Eventide H9 (midi controlled multi effects pedal) and TC Electronics Novadrive (midi controlled overdrive).
I seek many preset buttons...at least 18 plus up/down bank buttons.
I've owned the VooDoo Labs Ground Control which didn't quite meet my needs, and currently use a Softstep 2, which is ok due to its small size, but doesn't have enough buttons and the soft rubber-like pads just don't give me a positive response feeling under my foot.

In a nutshell: I seek to build a midi floor switcher that can accommodate at least 18 preset buttons plus 2 more as up/down banks. In as small of an enclosure as I can fit everything.
In looking at the Midi Widget, Midi CPU, and the EZMidi, can any of these do what I seek? Which is....
1. accommodate 18 buttons
2. accommodate (up/down) banks
3. I don't need CC or IA, I just want to randomly recall a preset from the Eventide H9 which has 99 presets.
For example: I want to be able to send preset #46 on my H9 to preset #6 on the DIY MIDI switcher.

I would love to have a setup (similar to my softstep 2) where I would have 3 rows of 6 buttons (silent stomp switches) . The bottom 6 buttons would control the Novadrives Overdrive presets with preset #1 (off) bringing me back to my unaffected clean tone. (The other bottom row button presets 2,3,4,5 & 6 would have various degrees of overdrive)

Then the other 2 top rows of 6 buttons would control the Eventide h9 in which I would have preset Flanger/Chorus/Delay/other various effects.

What I would like to be able to do...(which I do with the Softstep), is to step on an overdrive preset (which remains on) while I go through whatever effects I choose to add on top of the overdrive.
Then I would either step on that same overdrive preset switch to stop the modular effect but continue with the overdrive still on.... or I would step on preset #1 (off), which brings me back to my clean unaffected preset. Both overdrive and Modulation effect would then be off.

4. Could I add some kind of alphanumeric display to name presets *and* additionally have led lights to know which button is active? If not both, then what about either/or?

Phew! A lot to ask, and I hope you understand what I seek.
Im new(ish) to midi, and though I know there are a couple units out there with the many switches I seek (CAE/RJM/LiquidFt/MaxControl/etc), they are just too expensive, too large and heavy, or just too difficult to setup.

Any help (and your patience) is appreciated.
Thanx
- Robert
Hi Robert,

The MIDI CPU is the best choice for this project. It can probably do most or all of what you want, if you are willing to put in some time to learn the features of the MIDI CPU.

The part that might be tricky is the state-machine stuff. In other words, when you want certain switches to generate different output depending on what button was previously pressed. The MIDI CPU can do a little of that, but it has some limitations.

Ultimately, the DIY route may not save you as much as you think regarding either cost or difficulty of setup. That's not to discourage you. But there will be a lot of work involved.

Tags
eventide h9, novadrive, overdrive, tc electronic