Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Current Products > UMR2

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Default Yamaha Portasound PSS-570 Installation

John,
Hoping you can help guide me with the UMR2 install into Yamaha PSS-570. I know you helped another poster, Aaron Landers, do an install into the PSS-470. Here is the thread: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1152 I'm guessing the hookup is practically the same.

Aaron appeared to have very little experience with electronics, same as me, but managed the retrofit so I'm hoping I can pull it off. Still need to get the other supplies:

1.PRGM Switch - latching switch
2.MODE Switch
3.Red ACT LED
4.Green STBY LED
5.Wires

Anything missing from this list and as a laymen, anything special I should be looking for? Can most or all of these things be found at Frys Electronics?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 PM

Hi AHL, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by And Her Lips View Post
John,
Hoping you can help guide me with the UMR2 install into Yamaha PSS-570. I know you helped another poster, Aaron Landers, do an install into the PSS-470. Here is the thread: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1152 I'm guessing the hookup is practically the same.
It could be that the connections are the same, but it's always best to confirm that. What you can do to start is inspect the keyswitch PCB and draw a schematic of what you see connected to each pin of the ribbon cable. (It will be made up of only a diode and switch for each key.)

Quote:
Aaron appeared to have very little experience with electronics, same as me, but managed the retrofit so I'm hoping I can pull it off. Still need to get the other supplies:

1.PRGM Switch - latching switch
2.MODE Switch
3.Red ACT LED
4.Green STBY LED
5.Wires

Anything missing from this list and as a laymen, anything special I should be looking for? Can most or all of these things be found at Frys Electronics?
Been a while since I've seen the selection at Fry's, but I'm guessing you can get it all there.

For hookup wire, I like to use either 24 AWG wire (a length of CAT 5 cable is a good source, in a pinch) or an IDC-type ribbon cable, most of which seem to be 26 (or 28?) AWG. Anything much smaller or bigger might be difficult to work with.

As for LEDs, andy standard-brightness Vf=2 V parts will work.

Keep in mind that the hookup wire is the only thing you really need to get started. The switches and LEDs are nice to have, but not absolutely required.

If you ordered the LEDs and switches online, your total cost before shipping would be less than $5. Something to keep in mind while you're in Fry's.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Yamaha PSS-570 Install

I'm going to take this one step at a time. First I want to make sure that I understand exactly the materials I'll need. I understand that the Switches and LEDs aren't absolutely necessary but I'd like to do the complete install for my own curiosity.

Switches and Pushbuttons
So for the Latch I got an On - Off - On Toggle and for the Pusbuttons I got two, one is an On - On and the other is
Push On - Push Off

Are any of these usable and if not, can you explain the exact items and maybe even add a link so nothing is lost in translation. Assume I know nothing...that goes the same for the LEDs

LEDs
When you said:
Quote:
As for LEDs, any standard-brightness Vf=2 V parts will work.
does that mean the LEDs should be 2 volts. In the user manual it appeared that the LEDs should be 5VDC but perhaps I misunderstood the diagram. Is it possible to add a link to both red and green LEDs that can work. That would be really helpful.

The 24 AWG Wires are pretty self explanatory

I will do my best with your suggestion to
Quote:
inspect the keyswitch PCB and draw a schematic of what you see connected to each pin of the ribbon cable. (It will be made up of only a diode and switch for each key.)
Is it possible to just take a photo of this or is drawing a schematic the way to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And Her Lips View Post
I'm going to take this one step at a time. First I want to make sure that I understand exactly the materials I'll need. I understand that the Switches and LEDs aren't absolutely necessary but I'd like to do the complete install for my own curiosity.

Switches and Pushbuttons
So for the Latch I got an On - Off - On Toggle and for the Pusbuttons I got two, one is an On - On and the other is
Push On - Push Off

Are any of these usable and if not, can you explain the exact items and maybe even add a link so nothing is lost in translation. Assume I know nothing...that goes the same for the LEDs

LEDs
When you said:
does that mean the LEDs should be 2 volts. In the user manual it appeared that the LEDs should be 5VDC but perhaps I misunderstood the diagram. Is it possible to add a link to both red and green LEDs that can work. That would be really helpful.

The 24 AWG Wires are pretty self explanatory

I will do my best with your suggestion to

Is it possible to just take a photo of this or is drawing a schematic the way to go.
Hi AHL,

Your switches look fine.

I bet you'll benefit from reading some electronics tutorials (they are all over the web). This will clarify things like switch types and LED wiring and voltages.

At this level, I'd almost be giving you a personal beginning electronics course, which is a little bit of a waste, since there is already info on the web better than what I can write for you here.

Check out the links in this thread. The time you invest will pay off later.

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=14

A good green LED is LTL-307G. Look for it at Mouser. Can you find the red counterpart?

I'm going to be away from the forum for the long weekend. I'll follow up with your thread next week.