Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Default Controlling speed of DC Motor

Hi John,

I've received my MidiWidget long time ago but didn't have time to try it yet. BTW, congratulations for this big success with Kickstarter !

Now, I'm ready to go ... I have 1 question:
I'd like to control a DC Motor with different speed. Let's say, I want the motor turning fast for 5 minutes, stop for 7 minutes and start again at a slow speed for 10 minutes. I was wondering the best way to achieve that? With a Sequencer like Ableton Live, if I change the BPM does the motor will follow the speed ?

Thanks!
Victrola
Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 PM

Hi Victrola,

Thanks!

I think you are on the right track with Ableton Live. It might end up being easier to use MIDI CC messages to trigger the speed changes, rather than using a tempo setting.

The details will depend on how the speed controller for your motor works. Do you already have a speed controller that you can operate manually, and want to bring under MIDI control?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't think of a speed controller, I have some here, mostly built with 555 but I normally only use a variable power supply and change the speed by changing the voltage.

Quote:
Do you already have a speed controller that you can operate manually, and want to bring under MIDI control?
It's possible to do that ?

Quote:
It might end up being easier to use MIDI CC messages to trigger the speed changes
When it comes to MIDI CC I'm lost ... If you have a tutorial somewhere, I'd be more than happy ...

Last edited by victrola; 07-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victrola View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't think of a speed controller, I have some here, mostly built with 555 but I normally only use a variable power supply and change the speed by changing the voltage.

It's possible to do that ?

When it comes to MIDI CC I'm lost ... If you have a tutorial somewhere, I'd be more than happy ...
If you can define the electrical signal needed to adjust the motor speed, that is the first step. If it is the turn of a potentiometer, then the MIDIWidget isn't a great choice. If you need a variable voltage, you could try a MIDI-to-CV product. (CV = "control voltage" = variable voltage).

The MIDIWidget is helpful if you need to generate one or more "on/off" type of signals. Like 5V logic or a signal useful for controlling a relay.

As for CC messages, try googling:

Quote:
What is MIDI CC?
Then google:

Quote:
Sending MIDI CC from Ableton Live
Old 07-31-2015, 12:47 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Very useful !

Quote:
If you can define the electrical signal needed to adjust the motor speed, that is the first step.
I have a variable power supply, I choose 3V 4.5V 6V 7.5V 9V or 12V depending of the speed I want. Is that what you mean by electrical signal ? If yes, what would be the next step to send those electrical values to the MIDIWidget?

For MIDI CC, in Ableton live I have those MIDI CC commands http://postimg.org/image/3rmkhpp3t/ it goes to 127. Which one should I use ? Modulation ?

Also, Ableton Live have a plugin called MIDI LFO, do you think it could work by changing the rate of the LFO ?

Thank for the MIDI to CV, I'll have a look if those options doesn't work
Old 08-15-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victrola View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Very useful !

I have a variable power supply, I choose 3V 4.5V 6V 7.5V 9V or 12V depending of the speed I want. Is that what you mean by electrical signal ? If yes, what would be the next step to send those electrical values to the MIDIWidget?

For MIDI CC, in Ableton live I have those MIDI CC commands http://postimg.org/image/3rmkhpp3t/ it goes to 127. Which one should I use ? Modulation ?

Also, Ableton Live have a plugin called MIDI LFO, do you think it could work by changing the rate of the LFO ?

Thank for the MIDI to CV, I'll have a look if those options doesn't work
Pretty much any CC command you choose will work fine with the MIDIWidget.

The trick is to find a motor control circuit that can accept the logic from the MIDIWidget to apply the different voltages to the motor. I'm not very knowledgeable about the different products that are offered for this purpose, so I'll be of limited help. But I bet you could find something that will get the job done.