Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Default Yamaha PSS 280

Hi,

I've seen an example of a UMR working with a PSS 270, but never seen an example of a UMR2 working on a PSS 280. I just happen to have two 280 lying around, and would love to get them working with midi.

I have also seen a reference to the PSS 280 in the discontinued UMR support page, posted by "BentApparatus" quote follows:

"an interesting one is the PSS 280 which is a "preset" version of the PSS 380/390 same 100 voices(stackable by 2=500+ combinations) BUT no editable synth and only 20 beats, also its basically a more powerful
PSS 140(UMR compatible) maybe you should try to locate one John and see if its UMR gold! lol"

I'm sure someone else out there must have figured the 280 to work with the UMR2 and would really appreciate any guidance. I don't have an oscilloscope, and would rather not have to invest if anyone out there has already figured the matrix out!

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 PM

Hi Ed, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. It doesn't look like anyone has hands-on experience with the PSS-280. If you decide to give it a try, please post your results.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanks John. I'm going to purchase a pss270, as there's good documentation on how to install a UMR2 on this model, to get some practice before hitting my beloved 280. Hopefully they'll have some similarities!

All the best
Old 09-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Hi again,

I'm not quite ready to give up on this one. I think I've successfully soldered to all the points on the keyboard ribbon cable. I'm getting a 5V reading from the ends of the wires I've soldered on individually (which indicates and active low setting right?), and no continuity between any of them (so no solder bridges - also all keys on the keyboard still work fine so I'm assuming I've not made a mistake here).
However, I can't get a voltage or continuity reading between any of the points (I've tried combinations of them all) when the keyboard is turned on and I'm pressing keys. I have read the "keyboard matrix explained" post, and from that I take it that there should be a 5V voltage created between the select and data lines when the keys matching that particular select data line are pressed.
Any ideas why I'm not seeing this?
Many thanks.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Okay sorry ignore last post - it's the first time in a while I've had a chance to work on this and obviously I needed to re-read the keyboard matrix post!
It's a standard 9 / 6 matrix identical to the PSS470 one documented on the forum, with an active low setting. Now just need to find the +5 and ground points. I'll post some pics when I'm up and running.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 PM

I managed to grab a few hours to work on this again this evening and have been stumped in trying to identify the +5V and ground. I had assumed they'd be easy to identify, but the problem is that nearly every point on the circuit give me a consistent +5V reading. Which to choose? I can identify the case ground - the black wire that runs from the PCB to the metal of the keyboard housing - but I've read on other posts that the "logic ground" works better in most cases. How would I identify the logic ground?
Any help that John or other users would be able to offer would be great as I've searched through the forum and can't find advice or general rules on how to identify the +v and ground. I don't have an scope, just working with a standard (continuity, voltage etc) tester.
I've attached two pics of the inside. As you can see I'm working from the reverse of the PCB, which made things a bit trickier attaching the select and data lines (rainbow ribbon cable). The wires of the main IC chip are circuitbends to a patchbay (nothing to do with the URM2 install)
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Just incase it's helpful to anyone else who might be reading this and wondering about finding the +5V and ground on other keyboards I've found this thread where John gives some advice on the matter: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=511

Unfortunately this doesn't help me as I'm working on the reverse side of the PCB so can't identify these wide traces.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:16 PM

Hi Ed,

If I were you, I'd use a multimeter to find some pins that read 5 V when the keyboard is powered and do not fluctuate with use of the keybaord. Mark them.

Then, power off the keyboard and use continuity test to see if several of the marked pins are connected. If so, they are likely to be the 5 V rail.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the advice John. I thought I'd completed this tonight but when coming to the set up stage the LEDs light as expected - when powering on with PRGM held the ACT lights then goes off when PRGM switch released and STBY blinks continuously - but then the ACT light doesn't light to acknowledge receipt of the midi note from the controller keyboard.
Any advice? I've triple checked all the wring to the midi ports and the settings on the controller, and checked two different midi cables just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 PM

Found the problem. The midi input / output wiring diagrams in the manual are shown as if looking at the female part (outside) of the plug, not the reverse side of the arm connectors.....every easy mistake to make but also easy to rectify!

It's all working perfectly now. Thanks John for all your help and for an amazing bit of kit. I'll be ordering another few shortly.

I'll post some pics shortly for anyone else wanting to try this install, but the bulk of the info I've mentioned above and will recap here:
  • 6/9 linear matrix exactly like the one detailed here for the PSS 470: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1152.
  • Active low configuration.
  • +5V from the wire jumper just to the bottom right of main CPU (pic 2 above).
  • Ground to keyboard unit ground (black cable at the very bottom right of pic 1 above)

Hope that's helpful!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcgregor View Post
Found the problem. The midi input / output wiring diagrams in the manual are shown as if looking at the female part (outside) of the plug, not the reverse side of the arm connectors.....every easy mistake to make but also easy to rectify!

It's all working perfectly now. Thanks John for all your help and for an amazing bit of kit. I'll be ordering another few shortly.

I'll post some pics shortly for anyone else wanting to try this install, but the bulk of the info I've mentioned above and will recap here:
  • 6/9 linear matrix exactly like the one detailed here for the PSS 470: http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1152.
  • Active low configuration.
  • +5V from the wire jumper just to the bottom right of main CPU (pic 2 above).
  • Ground to keyboard unit ground (black cable at the very bottom right of pic 1 above)

Hope that's helpful!
Ed, I'm super glad to hear that you got it working! Thank you for posting the recap!

Tags
pss 280, umr2, yamaha