Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Current Products > UMR2

Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 AM

I was able to resolve the wiring to correctly and repeatedly go through the set up procedure. This leaves the midi out as the final challenge. I am aspiring to use the vss-30 to drive a sid-station; a synthesizer without a keyboard. Because Sid is monophonic, I was hoping to both play it and sample it with the vss-30. Reading page 11 of the manual it states in section 4.1 the midi controller mode sends notes to be sent in response to keystrokes at the host keyboards manual. Is that the vss-30? Or can it only send signals it has recieved from an external keyboard? I was checking the wiring of the midi out and note that there is a electrical connection between pins 2 and 4. Is there suppose to be? I have traced my soldering and cannot find any errors. If this indicates an error, can you tell me where else to proof my connections or what this might portend?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the response and honestly no need to apologise for the delay. I finally got around to testing this today and I still can't seem to get it right. I don't have a keyboard with MIDI out currently so I've had to bodge a work around for sending MIDI to the vss. This gets slightly convoluted, so please bear with me.

I have a pad controller which outputs MIDI via USB to the DAW, I then have a 2x2 MIDI in/out also on USB. This means I can send MIDI data to the DAW and route it to the 2x2 sending a signal out of (out B) into the vss (UMR2) and back in to (in A) on the 2x2 box then back through USB to the DAW. To check that this was working correctly, I removed the vss from the equation and simply routed the signal from the 2x2 (out B) straight back into (in A) which played a sound in the DAW so the pad controller and the 2x2 box seem to be fine.

I then plugged the vss (UMR2) back in and followed your instructions:

[QUOTE]
- UMR2 "MODE" and "PRGM" switch terminals left unconnected
- known-working MIDI controller MIDI Out -> UMR2 MIDI In
- UMR2 MIDI Out -> (sound module) MIDI In
- connect 5V to UMR2 DC IN terminals
/QUOTE]

- I didn't un-solder the MODE & PGRM switches, simply left them in the off position (i.e. MODE in the sound controller setting and PGRM off) - I assume this is what you meant.
- see above for lengthy explanation of this step
- and this one
- plugged in - check

[QUOTE]
1. When 5V is connected to the UMR2, the red LED should light for a 1-second self test, and the green LED should remain lit. This indicates a correct power connection and a healthy UMR2 microcontroller.

2. Since the UMR2 has a software thru function during normal operation, any MIDI signal sent from the MIDI controller should trigger the sound module on the other end of the chain./QUOTE]

1. This happened! my UMR is healthy!

2. This did not, the MIDI thru doesn't seem to be working.

I do remember reading as I was going through the installation guide that it mentioned it was worth checking the MIDI thru capabilities earlier rather than later but in my excitement forged ahead without checking this at the time....

I have triple checked all the wiring to the MIDI connectors and can't for the life of me see that I've done anything wrong! As promised I will make a video (that will likely be as long and tedious as this forum post) to attempt to help you visualise the problem better.

For now though, thanks for the advice and keep up the great work!

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 AM

Hi Dan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlayne View Post
I was able to resolve the wiring to correctly and repeatedly go through the set up procedure. This leaves the midi out as the final challenge. I am aspiring to use the vss-30 to drive a sid-station; a synthesizer without a keyboard. Because Sid is monophonic, I was hoping to both play it and sample it with the vss-30. Reading page 11 of the manual it states in section 4.1 the midi controller mode sends notes to be sent in response to keystrokes at the host keyboards manual. Is that the vss-30? Or can it only send signals it has recieved from an external keyboard?
Let me quote the part of the user manual you are talking about:

The UMR2 operates in one of two modes.
Sound Module Mode causes the host keyboard to respond to incoming MIDI notes. All input at
the UMR2 MIDI In port is echoed at the MIDI Out port (software thru).
MIDI Controller Mode causes MIDI notes to be sent in response to keystrokes at the host
keyboard's manual

So in other words:

- in Sound Module Mode, the VSS-30 can only receive MIDI notes. (It also passes thru the incoming notes to the MIDI out port.)

- in MIDI Controller Mode, the VSS-30 can only send MIDI notes. This happens when you press the keys on the VSS-30.

You have to select the mode at power-up by using the MODE switch as diagrammed in the user manual.

I hope this helps!

Quote:
I was checking the wiring of the midi out and note that there is a electrical connection between pins 2 and 4. Is there suppose to be? I have traced my soldering and cannot find any errors. If this indicates an error, can you tell me where else to proof my connections or what this might portend?
If there is a short circuit between pins 2 and 4 on the MIDI out port, yes, this is a problem.

Last edited by John; 10-03-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Default Update

Hi John,

I finally solved the midi-thru problem. I re-read the instructions and finally saw the 'mating-side' note under the midi plugs in the diagram. I had 4 and 5 wired backwards!

Having re-wired and tested, the midi-thru now works and I've completed the setup procedure! The keyboard is now working fine in sound module mode, but as danlayne mentioned the midi controller mode is not working.

Having read the notes it says that the mode should be set during 'boot-up'. I have tried setting the mode to midi controller before powering up, but to no avail. Strangely it still works as a sound module in these cases.

I will keep plugging away, but if you can think of anything obvious I should be doing please let me know!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStupid View Post
Having read the notes it says that the mode should be set during 'boot-up'. I have tried setting the mode to midi controller before powering up, but to no avail. Strangely it still works as a sound module in these cases.

I will keep plugging away, but if you can think of anything obvious I should be doing please let me know!
It sounds like there is a problem with the wiring of the Mode Switch. For some reason, the UMR2 is not recognizing it as closed at boot time. Are you certain that the switch is making contact?

Second, and perhaps more likely, is that the UMR2 is not fully rebooting because it is still getting a small amount of power leaking thru the logic terminals. You might have to completely remove power from the VSS-30 (remove batteries and DC power plug) in order to completely power-down the UMR2.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Default VSS-30 install PROBLEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hi DrStupid, welcome to the forum and sorry for the slow response.

Ok. For some reason, the MIDI note is not getting to the UMR2.

The best way to address this is to temporarily take a step back from the VSS-30 installation.

Get a known-working MIDI controller and sound module (or DAW) such that, with the following connection, sounds can be triggered:

known-working MIDI controller MIDI Out -> sound module MIDI In

Once it can be observed that the controller triggers the sound module, disconnect the two devices. Wire the UMR2 as follows:

- UMR2 "MODE" and "PRGM" switch terminals left unconnected
- known-working MIDI controller MIDI Out -> UMR2 MIDI In
- UMR2 MIDI Out -> (sound module) MIDI In
- connect 5V to UMR2 DC IN terminals

1. When 5V is connected to the UMR2, the red LED should light for a 1-second self test, and the green LED should remain lit. This indicates a correct power connection and a healthy UMR2 microcontroller.

2. Since the UMR2 has a software thru function during normal operation, any MIDI signal sent from the MIDI controller should trigger the sound module on the other end of the chain.

If the sound module can be triggered, then it is time to revisit the UMR2 setup procedure.

If the sound module can not be triggered, then there is either a MIDI wiring problem or a UMR2 malfunction (on rare occasions the optoisolator can be bad, blocking the incoming MIDI signal).

Please let me know what you find. If you are convinced that you have a bad UMR2, I'd be happy to send a replacement. However, it is worth noting that this is the least likely cause of the problem.
HI John,

I recently installed the UMR2 in my VSS. Everything powers up and the lights seem to behave when I program it following the manuals setup procedure.

I have two problems:
1.) Not seeing any midi OUT. I followed your test quoted here where I connected a working midi controller with a working sound module and then inserted the vss by way of its THRU port. The midi does not pass.
2.) The midi IN kind of works, not really though. For example F4 on VSS plays as I trigger from the controller F4 but then controller F#4 also triggers VSS F4 and controller G4 triggers VSS F4. Then after a few notes the VSS triggers correctly. This pattern goes on up the keyboard. Notes not aligning.

Any help would be appreciated!
Tim
Old 11-06-2015, 03:49 PM

anybody there?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM

Default update

so it turns out my midi out was wired wrong. sorry about the that.

now the midi in/out works but notes are not lining up when I send/receive to and from sound modules and controllers. would this be a matrix issue? should i post a pic?

any help would be appreciated!
tim
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
so it turns out my midi out was wired wrong. sorry about the that.

now the midi in/out works but notes are not lining up when I send/receive to and from sound modules and controllers. would this be a matrix issue? should i post a pic?

any help would be appreciated!
tim
Hi Tim,

Glad to hear that the MIDI i/o is sorted out.

For the problem with the note response: have you tried re-doing the setup procedure? And if so, is the resulting functionality (and errors) identical for each time you complete the setup procedure?

I might not be able to point to the problem without being there in person, sorry. :-)

However, if you can't get any improvements by re-doing the setup, my general install troubleshooting advice applies:

Reduce the install to, say, just one data line plus the 4 select lines. (Disconnect the other data lines.) Re-do the setup procedure. You'll only have a block of 4 keys retrofitted, but if things behave as expected, try adding one more data line and repeating the setup. Etc, etc.

At some point, this process might help you determine the cause of the problems.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Hey John,

just one data line plus the 4 select lines. (Disconnect the other data lines

-done

result is that the same note plays (F) each time when I play the the controller chromatically F through G#.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have my select lines backwards. I realize this is the old UMR, but I noticed here
Name:  wiring1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  76.8 KB

that you have you have select lines 1-4 wired from the inside going outward on the VSS ribbon. This is contrary to the what is documented hereName:  umr2-yamaha-vss-30-wiring.png
Views: 112
Size:  103.5 KB.

please confirm!
tim
Old 11-08-2015, 11:46 PM

I think the connections are consistent based on the pin numbering here:

I'm wondering if the setup procedure is being completed correctly. In other words:

- send a single note to the UMR2 from an external MIDI controller

then

- press each key on the VSS-30 keyboard. For each keypress, wait for the UMR2 red LED to light up and go dark before continuing.

Is that what you are doing during setup?