Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Threshold range?

Hi I am designing a solenoid drum kit circuit with some built in dynamics. I have 36V solenoids and 3 voltages at 12V, 24V, and 36V. I would like to feed the solenoid a higher voltage with higher midi velocities. This would be easy if for example one relay goes off with a velocity range of 1-42, and another relay goes off between 43-84, and the final between 85-127, all with the same note. But! the threshold setting is only a trigger point, so at the highest midi velocity all three relays would go off, sending all 3 voltage all at once to the same relay, causing pure chaos. I tried setting choke groups in my daw to make a monophonic drum kit with three different notes that set off one solenoid at 3 different voltages without me having to worry about being exact about releasing a note before hitting another. It did not work and I blew a relay... oh well (: luckily nothing else was harmed. so.. any way to set a threshold range? otherwise i am going to try and figure out a logic circuit that will only let one of the three signals through. it shouldn't be too hard, but i would rather just configure the widget to take care of this kind of thing. thanks for any help guys! hope my midnight ramblings make sense (:
Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
Hi I am designing a solenoid drum kit circuit with some built in dynamics. I have 36V solenoids and 3 voltages at 12V, 24V, and 36V. I would like to feed the solenoid a higher voltage with higher midi velocities. This would be easy if for example one relay goes off with a velocity range of 1-42, and another relay goes off between 43-84, and the final between 85-127, all with the same note. But! the threshold setting is only a trigger point, so at the highest midi velocity all three relays would go off, sending all 3 voltage all at once to the same relay, causing pure chaos. I tried setting choke groups in my daw to make a monophonic drum kit with three different notes that set off one solenoid at 3 different voltages without me having to worry about being exact about releasing a note before hitting another. It did not work and I blew a relay... oh well (: luckily nothing else was harmed. so.. any way to set a threshold range? otherwise i am going to try and figure out a logic circuit that will only let one of the three signals through. it shouldn't be too hard, but i would rather just configure the widget to take care of this kind of thing. thanks for any help guys! hope my midnight ramblings make sense (:
Hi cfr, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, it's not possible to set both a velocity threshold and maximum for an output. My best advice is to go forward with a logic-based solution. Maybe driving a 3:8 demux with the 3 MIDIWidget outputs set to different thresholds will give the result that you need.

The other alternative is to download the MIDIWidget source code and hack away. :-)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hi cfr, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, it's not possible to set both a velocity threshold and maximum for an output. My best advice is to go forward with a logic-based solution. Maybe driving a 3:8 demux with the 3 MIDIWidget outputs set to different thresholds will give the result that you need.

The other alternative is to download the MIDIWidget source code and hack away. :-)
Thanks John I did solve this pretty quickly with three xor gates. If anyone is interested Im using the CD4070B powered off the midi widget, the outputs of which then go to a ULN2803APG as detailed in the sticky to power relays with higher voltages.
I set three outputs to the same midi note, but with three different thresholds
heres a quick sketch of the connections. so far seems to be working correctly with leds. I'll move on to the relays and solenoids tomorrow

Last edited by cfr; 01-13-2016 at 07:28 AM.