Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Default MidiWidget Loop Switcher

Finally finished a MIDIWidget true bypass switcher after about 3 years of contemplation.

Features:
Midi In / Thru / USB In
Input Buffer
Tuner / Mute
7 Mono Loops
1 Mono - Stereo Return Loop
2 Stereo Loops
4 Tip to Ring Switches for controlling switching functions on Amps / Pedals
Buffered and Transformer Isolated Second Amp Out.
Relay based Phase switching for Amp 2
Amp selection allowing Individual Muting, Mono, Dual Mono, or Stereo operation.

Lots of fiddly wiring runs which could have been avoided with a PCB layout, but it works, and doesn't click appreciably when switching. Effect inputs are grounded when bypassed which helps here.

Using a combination of presets and individual channel control allows the Midiwidget to manage multiple switching events for muting or a Dry / True bypass signal path.

Unfortunately I couldn't fit double height jacks on the rack case I bought, so it's 6 loops at the back and the rest on the front. No room for LED status indicators either.

I had hoped to use the MidiWidget's PWM outputs to create a control voltage for expression sends to effects, but the PWM frequency appears too slow and I couldn't adequately filter it without digital to analogue converters. That fell into the too hard basket.

Whole thing is controlled by a Liquid Foot Jr, with an expression pedal attached.

I also had to rewire a couple of Boss effects to be "always on" and fit metres of cable into rack drawers. Overall I now take up marginally less room in the basement - but only just.

Couple of build photos attached. Labels on the relays are so I could take a photo and program the thing once it's jammed in a rack.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 PM

Well done looks like a good job. I have been planning the same for 2 years now have all parts to start.
It would be lazy to now buy a voodoo labs GCX. I have a rocktron midiraider to control the switcher.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:59 AM

The midiwidget has so many outputs you are really only limited by panel space for jacks. Plus, the GCX has the annoying requirement of patching loops into other loops with cables. Nice if you want to change effect order, but when everything is stuffed into a rack I doubt you'd ever use it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the lack of audible switching clicks with the relays I used as well.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 AM

I am trying to put together a parts list, Just wondering what jack sockets you used, " I take it they are switched as you are grounding effects when not in use" I see you usb input on the midiwidget is plugged in to a cable is that going to an external usb.

I am using an old Avid 888 2U enclosure so i can fit more jacks