Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > General Discussion > Product Selection Help

Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Midification of Rodgers 320 Organ or Build from Components Advice

First, ty for allowing me to join this most informative forum.

My project -- I have a Rodgers 320 3 manual organ (1963 vintage) with external speakers only (Leslie 247 credenza style and a Rodgers RW-4 solo cabinet style). This analog organ gives great sound but I also want to have a Hauptwerk setup. I am in the process of deciding whether to midify the Rodgers or build from scratch (i.e. keyboards, pedalboard, expression shoe (already started collecting speakers) new computer with appropriate capability for multi-channel output (M-Audio 1010 Lt via multiple amp/receivers). I have looked into the Artisan kit ($650 for a midification DIY) or perhaps using components supplied by highly liquid should I decide to add on to the rodgers with midi capability.

Wondering what of your products would be necessary to leave the analog Rodgers intact and add additional boards/wiring to get midi out of that console and into computer and the associated costs. Also would welcome your thought on my ability to make this a DIY (I currently have no soldering skills but I would imagine that it isn't rocket science).

Any thoughts or pointers to like projects would be appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

Tom
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Wondering what of your products would be necessary to leave the analog Rodgers intact and add additional boards/wiring to get midi out of that console and into computer and the associated costs. Also would welcome your thought on my ability to make this a DIY (I currently have no soldering skills but I would imagine that it isn't rocket science).
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

The MIDI CPU is great for getting MIDI output from an organ console, but in general, it requires the removal of existing circuitry.

There may be some ways to connect the MIDI CPU to the organ without removing the existing sound generating circuitry. To make further comment, I would need to see the organ schematics.

If you were to build from scratch, the MIDI CPU is definitely the way to go.

I'd be glad to continue the discussion. If you have more details about the organ, it will help greatly.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks John for your initial input. I have pretty much decided to do my own build and the only real problem i'm running into is adding midi to a pedalboard. From what I have read it appears that reed switches are the way to go but as far as wiring them up and installing them remains a mystery to me. There is a kit out there but its very wallet friendly $220 ish from Bulgaria I think. I can pick up a pedalboard used on ebay relatively cheaply but with no contacts or switches to more would be needed (like magnets and reed switches I presume).

Do you handle reed switches and would midi cpu be the decoder they would go to thus creating the midi out to go into the computer? If so I'd be grateful for any info on the how to's and products needed to do this type of an assembly.

Hope I'm not driving you nuts with tedious questions.

Tom
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Thanks John for your initial input. I have pretty much decided to do my own build and the only real problem i'm running into is adding midi to a pedalboard. From what I have read it appears that reed switches are the way to go but as far as wiring them up and installing them remains a mystery to me. There is a kit out there but its very wallet friendly $220 ish from Bulgaria I think. I can pick up a pedalboard used on ebay relatively cheaply but with no contacts or switches to more would be needed (like magnets and reed switches I presume).

Do you handle reed switches and would midi cpu be the decoder they would go to thus creating the midi out to go into the computer? If so I'd be grateful for any info on the how to's and products needed to do this type of an assembly.

Hope I'm not driving you nuts with tedious questions.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I'm glad to answer your questions.

First, as far as the MIDI CPU is concerned, reed switches are just like any other switch. If you need 24 switches or fewer, you can wire them like this:

If you need more than 24, you can wire them in a matrix (the MIDI CPU can monitor up to 128 switches in a matrix).

Either way, I'll be happy to provide help with the wiring.

Once a reed switch is understood as a switch like any other, the only challenge is to mount it in a way such that it is activated by the movement of the pedal.

I think the general approach is to make the reed switch stationary--mount it on the bed of the pedalboard. Then, mount a magnet on the moving pedal in a way that the magnet moves closer to the switch and closes the contacts of the reed switch. This will require a little trial-and-error with a continuity tester, but it should not be terribly difficult.

We do not sell reed switches, but they are inexpensive and easily obtained. Digikey, for example, appears to carry about 800 different models!

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...itches/1114199

Likewise, small and powerful magnets are easy to obtain. Here's an example:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1005-ND/555329

If you'd like to create a project thread in the MIDI CPU forum, we can discuss each step in detail, starting with parts selection.

I don't think there has been a detailed reed switch thread here on the forum, so I'd be glad to work through the process with you. I bet it would be a valuable resource for others.

Last edited by John; 04-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM

You might ask the author of this thread (davide) about his use of reed relays:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1035