Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed

Go Back   Highly Liquid Forum > Discontinued Products > MD24

Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 AM

Default How can I test MIDI output from a Mac to the MD24?

hi, i've just purchased the MD24 and plan to develop a project that 'plays' 16 servo motors from a MIDI source.

I'm not at all familiar with MIDI and need to test the MD24.

Can anyone suggest a simple software solution that will:

1) Allow me to play /edit a MIDI file on a Mac (MacBook Pro)
2) Allow me to send/export the MIDI data to the MD24 (I have USB MIDI cable) so i can test it

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Oscar

Last edited by Oscar; 05-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM

Hi Oscar, welcome to the forum.

To send a sysex file to the MD24 for configuration purposes, software solutions are discussed here;

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=280

MIDI sequence playback (regular notes, CC, etc) software is discussed here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=919

Hopefully this will get you started. Other than that, there should be lots of options for playing a MIDI file out to an interface. I can't recommend anything other than a google search.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM

thanks for the pointers John.

I've followed the instructions as carefully as i could but yet to have any real success testing the MD24. One of my key problems is producing a SysEx file that makes sense to the MD24. And Sqwerl seems to only work the MIDI CPU, and not the MD24...

I'm using a USB MIDI cable (the one with the image of the treble clef) which appears to connect correctly (via testing with MIDI monitor), and using a MIDI player called MIDISwing which appears to send data to the MD24 (blinking LED).

From what i can gather a MIDI file in the .mid format can contain sysex code that can be sent to the MD24 - is this right?

If so are you able to provide a sample MIDI file with the some basic sysex that controls the #1 output port?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 AM

hi John,
Given the limited time i have to get this working i may not be able to even use the Sysex code.

So as a fallback can you please provide an explanation of how i restore the 'default MIDI configuration' and the ' default PWM configuration'. The firmware guide states on p17 - 4.0 Initialization Jumper:

At any time, the default MIDI configuration and default PWM configuration can be simultaneously restored by connecting the two terminals of the “INIT” jumper JP1 and simultaneously powering up the MD24.

This sounds like a physical terminal, but where is the '“INIT” jumper JP1'? I cannot find any refernce to it on the PCB or the MD24 Hardware user manual (Rev g).

How do i do this?

thanks, Oscar
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Hi Oscar,

The init jumper is not included on the newer MD24. That is something that should be removed from the user manual.

However, I do not think it is necessary to "reset" your MD24. If you were unable to configure the unit using a sysex message, it simply means that your MD24 still has the "factory default" config.

I'd be glad to provide a sysex message for you to try. How would you like to use MIDI to control the servos? (What message type? We can use note number, note velocity, CC value, etc.) Just let me know and I will post a sysex message that you can try.

I understand that you are under a time constraint but your application is simple enough that I think we can get this working quickly.

Tags
mac