Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
  #1  
Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Midi_Noob Midi_Noob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default Extra Select Inputs

Hi John!
Well it seem as though I may need to purchase another UMR2 because I have more select lines than can be supported by one UMR2 (16 total). Being the case that I will have many more select inputs to spare on the second UMR2, is it possible to add other switces or buttons to the UMR2 to expand it's 'controller' mode, or should I just leave them empty as they may only be confused for being a part of the matrix? I assume the data and select inputs are specifically for creating the keyboard matrix and nothing else.

Also, because I have a split (dual) keyboard configuration totaling 61 keys, 4 data lines total with 7 select lines on one keyboard that is connected to another keyboard using the same 4 data lines and 9 new select lines), do I connect the same data lines (4 total) to both UMR2s or just one - or split them between the two UMR2s (2 on one UMR2, and 2 connected to ther seconf UMR2)?
Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Noob View Post
Hi John!
Well it seem as though I may need to purchase another UMR2 because I have more select lines than can be supported by one UMR2 (16 total). Being the case that I will have many more select inputs to spare on the second UMR2, is it possible to add other switces or buttons to the UMR2 to expand it's 'controller' mode, or should I just leave them empty as they may only be confused for being a part of the matrix? I assume the data and select inputs are specifically for creating the keyboard matrix and nothing else.
The difficult thing about adding to the switch matrix is that the UMR2 requires the select signal to be generated by the host device. So, to add your own switches, you'd need to generate a select signal that doesn't interfere with the host's select signals. This could be very tricky and would require some extra components.

Quote:
Also, because I have a split (dual) keyboard configuration totaling 61 keys, 4 data lines total with 7 select lines on one keyboard that is connected to another keyboard using the same 4 data lines and 9 new select lines), do I connect the same data lines (4 total) to both UMR2s or just one - or split them between the two UMR2s (2 on one UMR2, and 2 connected to ther seconf UMR2)?
Thanks again
Connect each of the 4 data lines to each UMR2. The UMR2s can share them with no problem.

Each select line should be connected to only one UMR2.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Midi_Noob Midi_Noob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks John!

When you mention "additional components" are you referring to specific ICs (filters, regulators, multiplexers)? Out of shear curiouslity, has that sort of thing been done or tried before?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM
John's Avatar
John John is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midi_Noob View Post
Thanks John!

When you mention "additional components" are you referring to specific ICs (filters, regulators, multiplexers)? Out of shear curiouslity, has that sort of thing been done or tried before?
You'd need some sort of logic to generate a select pulse with a specific timing relative to another select pulse so that it didn't coincide with any other select pulse. Even though it would be technically possible, the UMR2 is not really the right tool for the job of adding extra controls. I haven't tried it, and I doubt anyone else has.

If you were going to put that much effort into things, it would be much easier to simply use a dedicated MIDI CPU to monitor the extra switches, keeping them completely separate from the original switch matrix.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Midi_Noob Midi_Noob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8
Smile

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.