Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM

Default Auto velocity data

Hi Gents,

As a forum newbie I feel I should tell you a little about myself first.As a musician I am fully acquainted with midi with its use in Sonar and other progs via my DAW and with a background in electronics have been playing with some projects. Have been using one of Eric Singers Miditron devices up to now with digital (TTL on/off) inputs. What I really need now is a way of adjusting the velocity on these inputs electronically/manually via a pot if Pos prior to data being sent to Sampler (Kontakt).

Any ideas gents would be welcome.

Willy
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso52 View Post
Hi Gents,

As a forum newbie I feel I should tell you a little about myself first.As a musician I am fully acquainted with midi with its use in Sonar and other progs via my DAW and with a background in electronics have been playing with some projects. Have been using one of Eric Singers Miditron devices up to now with digital (TTL on/off) inputs. What I really need now is a way of adjusting the velocity on these inputs electronically/manually via a pot if Pos prior to data being sent to Sampler (Kontakt).

Any ideas gents would be welcome.

Willy
Hi Willy, welcome to the forum.

I recommend using the MIDI CPU to generate your MIDI messages.

The MIDI CPU can monitor switches or TTL signals and it can also monitor a potentiometer to determine output note velocity during run-time.

For example, if you are using switches to generate MIDI notes, a single MIDI CPU could monitor 120 switches, each generating a unique note number and channel, with note velocity globally determined by a potentiometer.

A single MIDI CPU can monitor up to 14 pots.

There are lots of possible configurations. If you'd like to describe your project in more detail, I'd be glad to provide more information about how to build it.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply. I pretty much understood all you wrote with a few questions. It seems the Midi CPU is similar to the Miditron but has more functionallity.
Although Iam using Kontakt, digital inputs are used for a non-musical (sound) project. I assume the Midi CPU with digital inputs velocity will default to 127 yes?
However I need to vary the velocity data on a group of inputs prior to onward send to Kontakt. The thing I am concerned about is that although you can effectively do this, all note events would appear to be globally effected. Yes?
So, is it possible to effect the vel data on individual or groups of note on/off events? Also would it be possible to do this more than once i.e.to different groups on the same channel? If not then it would mean an individual MIDI CPU even thou only 4 or 5 digital inputs were used.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Willy
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply. I pretty much understood all you wrote with a few questions. It seems the Midi CPU is similar to the Miditron but has more functionallity.
And less than half the cost!

Quote:
Although Iam using Kontakt, digital inputs are used for a non-musical (sound) project. I assume the Midi CPU with digital inputs velocity will default to 127 yes?
The default is 127, but you can set it to any velocity that you would like.

Quote:
However I need to vary the velocity data on a group of inputs prior to onward send to Kontakt. The thing I am concerned about is that although you can effectively do this, all note events would appear to be globally effected. Yes?
So, is it possible to effect the vel data on individual or groups of note on/off events? Also would it be possible to do this more than once i.e.to different groups on the same channel? If not then it would mean an individual MIDI CPU even thou only 4 or 5 digital inputs were used.
The MIDI CPU inputs are individually configured, so not all of them need to share the same velocity, even on the same channel.

Can you tell me how many individual inputs you have? And how many inputs in each group that should have an independent velocity setting? The more details you can provide, the better.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Exclamation

Hi John,

Many thanks for your time and input.

The MIDI CPU inputs are individually configured, so not all of them need to share the same velocity, even on the same channel.

Can you tell me how many individual inputs you have? And how many inputs in each group that should have an independent velocity setting? The more details you can provide, the better.

Ok, the exact number of inputs are not known yet as first I (we) have to determined if what I am seeking is possible.

Basically I am looking at 2 groups with possibly 6 note inputs and a CC pot to control the velocity level on maybe 4 inputs per group on what are essentially TTL inputs. this being done in real time. Although these groups can all share one midi channel (the note events can be assigned differently) I do not want to globally effect all note events per a single channel.

Note:

If the Midi CPU can transmit on different channels at the same time then great.Each 'group' can have its own channel and also if the CC pot effects all vel data within a group then no matter since only those note events with different samples at differing velocities will be effected. All other notes within the 'group' will still play a sample 'as is' as vel range in Kontakt will be 0 - 127.

I hope you followed that.

Simply put again 2 groups with six or 7 inputs with a pot controlling vel data on selected note events within a group or globally on idividual channel outputs.

Many thanks again John for your interest and time.
Regards,
Willy,uk

Last edited by muso52; 08-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Hi John,

Many thanks for your time and input.

Ok, the exact number of inputs are not known yet as first I (we) have to determined if what I am seeking is possible.

Basically I am looking at 2 groups with possibly 6 note inputs and a CC pot to control the velocity level on maybe 4 inputs per group on what are essentially TTL inputs. this being done in real time. Although these groups can all share one midi channel (the note events can be assigned differently) I do not want to globally effect all note events per a single channel.
Ok, no problem there. With the MIDI CPU you can set the velocity per-switch, not per-channel.

Quote:
Note:

If the Midi CPU can transmit on different channels at the same time then great.Each 'group' can have its own channel and also if the CC pot effects all vel data within a group then no matter since only those note events with different samples at differing velocities will be effected. All other notes within the 'group' will still play a sample 'as is' as vel range in Kontakt will be 0 - 127.

I hope you followed that.

Simply put again 2 groups with six or 7 inputs with a pot controlling vel data on selected note events within a group or globally on idividual channel outputs.
Yes, that should be very easy to accomplish with the MIDI CPU.

Once you are ready to go forward, feel free to create a list of each individual control, along with its output (note number, channel, fixed velocity or velocity range, etc). From there, I can help out with wiring diagrams and MIDI CPU configuration files.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Hi John,

Many many thanks for your time and input. Sorry for not replying sooner but based on what you have said have been (excitingly) looking at hardware aspects of this project!

Prior to your last I noted from the firmware .pdf the following;

3.4.7 Analog Input: Matrix Note Velocity
The analog input signal sets the note velocity value for any Note On messages associated with control
terminals operating in a Matrix Select Mode.
Control terminal input overrides the global Matrix Note Velocity setting.

Ok I think I understand that but how do you assign only four inputs to a Matrix? As mentioned 4 inputs of a possible (now) 10 need to have velocity changed via external cc pot.

Once you are ready to go forward, feel free to create a list of each individual control, along with its output (note number, channel, fixed velocity or velocity range, etc). From there, I can help out with wiring diagrams and MIDI CPU configuration files.

Again many thanks will be in touch soon when I have sorted external hardware details.

Willy
Old 08-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Prior to your last I noted from the firmware .pdf the following;

3.4.7 Analog Input: Matrix Note Velocity
The analog input signal sets the note velocity value for any Note On messages associated with control
terminals operating in a Matrix Select Mode.
Control terminal input overrides the global Matrix Note Velocity setting.

Ok I think I understand that but how do you assign only four inputs to a Matrix? As mentioned 4 inputs of a possible (now) 10 need to have velocity changed via external cc pot.
Hi Willy,

For your project, I do not recommend wiring the switches in a matrix. They can each be connected to a different MIDI CPU control terminal with ground as common.

This way, each switch can be independently configured for fixed or adjustable velocity with multiple sources available for the adjustable velocity value (one or more pots connected to the MIDI CPU).

Again, I'm assuming that the velocity control pot(s) is connected directly to the MIDI CPU as an anlog input. If you want the MIDI CPU to change outbound note velocity in response to incoming MIDI CC messages, that may not be possible without some firmware updates.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Hi John,
Thanks as always.

This way, each switch can be independently configured for fixed or adjustable velocity with multiple sources available for the adjustable velocity value (one or more pots connected to the MIDI CPU).

Again, I'm assuming that the velocity control pot(s) is connected directly to the MIDI CPU as an anlog input.

Yes I can confirm that the velocity cc pot will be connected to an analog input of the midi cpu. But can you please confirm that the pot(s) can be assigned to a group of 4 inputs to vary velocity? I know velocity can be varied but as now not in a matrix mode is this still possible with a group?

Nearly there,

thanks

Willy
Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Hi John,

If I had spent more time reading your post I would have realised the question was answered before I asked it!

Apologies,

Willy
Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I can confirm that the velocity cc pot will be connected to an analog input of the midi cpu. But can you please confirm that the pot(s) can be assigned to a group of 4 inputs to vary velocity? I know velocity can be varied but as now not in a matrix mode is this still possible with a group?
Yes.

Just making sure to avoid any confusion.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Hi John,

Great. Will sort out external hardware PCB and get back to you.

Thanks,
Willy
Old 09-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Hi John (and all others)

It is now 3yrs since I originally started this thread with the project being on the back burner for that time having moved home in the fall of that year and spending the time since re-modelling it and landscaping garden! Now with autumn here in the UK it's time for me to play again. However pos wrong place to ask ( if so forgive me) is the Midi CPU going to be produced again? The reason I ask should it not be produced I have to look into other methods of achieving esxactly what I now want the Midicpu for as mentioned in the thread.

Regards,
Bill