Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Default Sqwerl error message after scanning

Hello all,

I have a 3 MSA-R panel. 2 works perfect but one of these not. The Sqwerl pogram write me an error message after I click the SCAN button:

"An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down"

See my attachment!
After that the program restart.
By the 2 other card works perfect, the scan function works correct.
Please, help me to configure my thrid panel.

Balu
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Nobody can help me?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balu0325 View Post
Nobody can help me?
Hi Balu, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your MSA.

I'm not sure why Sqwerl would work OK with two of your boards but not with the third.

What is the DIP switch setting? Is this a newer board with firmware version 3.2, or were they all purchased at the same time?

Mel (wabbitguy) maintains Sqwerl. He may have an answer, but he provides the program completely gratis, so please don't expect him to spend a great deal of time on the problem.

If you'd like, I'll be glad to help out with getting your third MSA configured using an alternative tool like SendSX. Let me know.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 PM

Hi John!

I've bought the 3 panel at the same time 2 mounths ago here on the highlyliquid.com. The DIP: all is off. You can see on the attachment the fw verrsion: 3.1 . The penel works, when I power on it, the led is blink only one time. I only can't modify the original settings. In the sqwerl when I click on the scan button, the scanning is run completly, but at the end goes the error message and reboot the program. Maybe I tried to change the settings and scaning while the PRGM switch was on, but I'm not sure.

Thank You for help!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Hi John!

I've bought the 3 panel at the same time 2 mounths ago here on the highlyliquid.com. The DIP: all is off. You can see on the attachment the fw verrsion: 3.1 . The penel works, when I power on it, the led is blink only one time. I only can't modify the original settings. In the sqwerl when I click on the scan button, the scanning is run completly, but at the end goes the error message and reboot the program. Maybe I tried to change the settings and scaning while the PRGM switch was on, but I'm not sure.

Thank You for help!
Hi Balu,

Have you double-checked the MIDI wiring?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Hi John,

I use Phoenix steckers to connect. There is no problem. Once it was bounce by the PRGM switch. The fixing of the wires in the terminal was wrong.

Last edited by balu0325; 10-21-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Nobody can help me?
When you get the exception error, it's almost always caused by a corruption in the SYSEX data Sqwerl is expecting. Thus either you're receiving too much data, or one of the values is corrupted in the stream and Sqwerl has no idea how to handle it (there's little error checking in Sqwerl).

Hence, there's either some amiss with the MIDI interface, or some issue with the wiring on the MSA. Assuming of course that the interface is connected directly to the MSA and you don't have any other MIDI devices in the chain.

BTW: the Roland UM-1 (if that's what I see you're using in your screen shot) is not rated as SYSEX friendly and on large streams (>256 bytes) it won't work at all. It's designed for playing a MIDI keyboard and that's it.

Mel

Last edited by wabbitguy; 10-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Hi Wabbitguy,
it seems, you will right. I tried the followings: I reinstalled the software (Sqwerl) and nothing changed. Thereafter I tried an other USB-Midi cable. It is a noname cable. The situation became worse. 2 of 3 panel had a same error after scanning. Could you tell me a list about the recommended cables?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hi Wabbitguy,
it seems, you will right. I tried the followings: I reinstalled the software (Sqwerl) and nothing changed. Thereafter I tried an other USB-Midi cable. It is a noname cable. The situation became worse. 2 of 3 panel had a same error after scanning. Could you tell me a list about the recommended cables?
MIDI interfaces that support SYSEX are a diminishing breed. Seems most companies don't want to put in the time and effort to develop proper drivers that handle SYSEX (among other extended MIDI commands) so they either make them class compliant (which means plug and pray) or they supply an interface that's meant to be used for simple MIDI commands only. In the latter types, the latency is usually pretty high as well.

If you then throw in the fact that guys will be using them on Macs, Windows, and Linux, well, it can be a bit of a gong show. Not to mention companies get caught with driver problems during OS updates.

The key to getting a good MIDI interface is:

1. Look for an interface that requires a driver (I find it best to avoid class compliant devices)
2. Look at the driver date. If it's older than 2 years and you've had OS updates it might work. Might not.
3. Brand name MIDI interfaces are the best bet. No name USB to MIDI cables for the most part are junk. I have a junk box full of them.
4. Avoid the $5 MIDI cables you can find on Amazon or eBay. See #4 here.
5. EMAIL the company and ASK if their interface can handle 2,500 byte SYSEX MIDI streams. That will weed them out pretty fast.
6. MIDI interfaces that have built in cables should be avoided.
7. Buy the interface from a local store so you can return it if it doesn't work. Don't spend 20 hours on it trying to figure out why it doesn't work.
8. Audio interfaces with add on MIDI, typically 70%+ of them won't work with SYSEX.
9. A lot of MIDI interfaces won't work in a USB hub. They need a direct connection to the USB port on the computer. The hubs will interfere with the data transmission.

A list of interfaces that have failed:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showpo...6&postcount=14

For a list that works, and keep in mind I'm normally using these on Macs, so DO check the company for Windows or Linux support if thats what you need:

http://www.wabbitwanch.com/forums/vi...c.php?f=18&t=6

Mel

Last edited by wabbitguy; 10-27-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added links