Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 AM

Default Managing chained MSA modules

Dear John,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding the physical setup and programming for chained MSA modules.

I've begun a loop switcher AKA the ipatch, but am using two MSA-T modules to allow plenty of flexibility in switching. I have a third module and space to incorporate it, depending on how out of hand things get. I plan on operating each device on the same MIDI channel, and using mixed preset / individual modes, as this will probably make programming from a foot controller more straightforward.

My questions are:

1) How will chained devices behave if I press a learn switch on one (ie: Will only that MSA look for data, or will all three). As I don't necessarily need to program each module independently, can I just tie all the learn terminals together through the same switch, would a 3 pole switch be advised, or would an individual switch for each module make more sense?

2) Is the current draw on the MSA-T really 200ma, or is that a worst case scenario with each transistor and the regulator driving its maximum current? I only ask because I can run it on a 9V battery which suggests its not drawing much current when the outputs aren't connected to anything, and because I'll need to plan a power supply.

3) Are unit ids automatically assigned when I wire the modules together, or do I need to send a command to each device to assign it?

4) Is programming each device a matter of generating a sysex message with the relevant data and changing the unit id bit to target each module independently? I'm hoping I can use squerl to generate the sysex message, and from there just manually edit the id bit to send it to a specific module.

Sorry for the long post but I am hoping to sort a few of these things out before I start drilling holes in my rack enclosure.

Regards
Chris
Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 PM

Hi Chris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
1) How will chained devices behave if I press a learn switch on one (ie: Will only that MSA look for data, or will all three). As I don't necessarily need to program each module independently, can I just tie all the learn terminals together through the same switch, would a 3 pole switch be advised, or would an individual switch for each module make more sense?
Individual switches make more sense to me. The reason is that if you put multiple units in the chain in learn mode at the same time, they will each learn identical configurations.

Quote:
2) Is the current draw on the MSA-T really 200ma, or is that a worst case scenario with each transistor and the regulator driving its maximum current? I only ask because I can run it on a 9V battery which suggests its not drawing much current when the outputs aren't connected to anything, and because I'll need to plan a power supply.
That is worst-case. Current consumption will vary greatly by application. The best way to find out is to measure it. There are some ways to reduce the current consumption, such as removing the output indicator LEDs.

Quote:
3) Are unit ids automatically assigned when I wire the modules together, or do I need to send a command to each device to assign it?
The unit ID is determined by the DIP switch only. Inside the sysex message, you can address a specific unit ID by specifying a value 1-16. A Unit ID value of 0 will "match" any listening MSA, regardless of its unit ID.

Quote:
4) Is programming each device a matter of generating a sysex message with the relevant data and changing the unit id bit to target each module independently? I'm hoping I can use squerl to generate the sysex message, and from there just manually edit the id bit to send it to a specific module.
Yes, if I understand you correctly. However, Sqwerl likes to have a connection from the MSA MIDI out port (not thru). So to use it, you have to connect directly from the MSA being programmed (MIDI out) to the computer (MIDI in).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide more information.