Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Default Elka Synthex Pre-series prototype

Hi there,
I have a pre-series ELKA SYNTHEX prototype, and my goal is to install MIDI control on it.

"Normal" Synthex could be upgraded by factory MIDI installation, this concern an Eprom swap with new code, installation of two new memory chips, and little wiring on CPU card.
The original factory retrofit has been cloned with success, and you can find all the info here:
http://jbemond.free.fr/Synthex/MidiKit/MIDI-KIT_UK.pdf

Now, this retrofit can't fit my machine for two simple reasons:
I can't swap Eproms, standard Synthex has two TMS2532JL for source code + 1 TMS2516 for presets, mine has three TMS2516JL for source code and one for presets.
CPU card is slightly different in size and routings than official Synthex schematics

So the only chance i have is to use MIDI to simulate the keyboard keypress signals intercepting the original keyboard signal's paths.
I'm not too interested in use Synthex as master keyboard, it's more interesting for me to drive NOTE ON/OFF by external MIDI sources.

Schematics sketches of the keyboard matrix, original midi retrofit and keyboard card here below.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Hi Sandrow, welcome to the forum.

As far as I can tell, this keyboard does not use a typical matrix circuit as described here:

http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=1133

So therefore, the UMR2 won't be compatible.

A straightforward but inelegant approach might be to use the 5V outputs from an MD24 (when the new version is available) to simulate a keypress at the keyswitch. Of course, you'd need one logic output for each key, so multiple MD24s would be required.