Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM

Default UMR 2 on a Casio VL-TONE

Hello all,

My first thread here, hope I could be of use to you people eventually but for now I have a question..

So I've followed the instruction here (VL-1-MIDI Installation Instructions):
http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=767

And just doubled checked that all points on the VL correspond correctly to the ones on the UMR2 (data and select).

* I have made my UMR2 external, very much like this:http://blog.highlyliquid.com/2008/05...tom-enclosure/
* It also uses external power(sitting in a box with batteries) - So there's an On/Off switch for it
* I've done a bit of Circuit bending but these work via a patch bay so nothing is actually connected

As I was building it I've managed to follow the setup process successfully (i.e sending a note from an external keyboard to choose base note and MIDI ch as well as send notes from the host keyboard). I was rushing this a bit because I wanted to close the unit and so have not done all the notes..

Now, I'm trying to reconfigure this again but with no luck. UMR2 is regestering the incoming note for to select MIDI ch but does nothing when I punch in the VL TONE notes (no red light flash).

Since then I've double and triple checked the pin-outs with no luck..

Keyboard works fine on it's on.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 PM

Just tried it with another UMR2 board I have. Same result.

*Didn't mention I'm using +polarity.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Hi Numbed, welcome to the forum and sorry for the slow reply.

I haven't installed a UMR2 in the VL-1, so I can't provide too much help here. In theory the UMR2 should be able to work, but I can't guarantee it.

If you had success with the setup originally, then something must have changed between then and now. Is there a chance of bad connections in the wiring?

My advice for this type of situation is to try getting a very simple version of the install working. For example, connect only one select & data line and see if you can retrofit a single key. If you can get that working, then try adding more complex connections and repeating the setup procedure.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Hey John,

Thank you for your reply (and sorry for MY late response.. )

So today I've tried taking things back to basic as you've suggested.

I've tried the two UMR2 units with two Casio VL1 units (they look pretty different internally actually, different colored boards and different screens) with no luck..

(Using battery supply for the boards and connecting only S1 and D1 to the host)

You said to use a single DATA and SELECT lines, I'm assuming I should connect them according to the images you've posted about the VL tone MIDI KIT.. S1 and D1?

Maybe I've ruined something by using the wrong polarity?

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM

So, I've got an oscilloscope here.

I can see the pulsating matrix signals emitting from both the UMR2 and the VL tone.

Only thing that looks odd is that both signals are visible on the 50mV range on my scope and not so much on the 5V range. According to your 'The Keyboard Matrix Explained' it needs to be 5V no?

Thought that might shed some light..

Last edited by numbed; 04-09-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbed View Post
So, I've got an oscilloscope here.

I can see the pulsating matrix signals emitting from both the UMR2 and the VL tone.

Only thing that looks odd is that both signals are visible on the 50mV range on my scope and not so much on the 5V range. According to your 'The Keyboard Matrix Explained' it needs to be 5V no?

Thought that might shed some light..
There could be a problem with the signals not exceeding the threshold voltages of the UMR2, yes. However, 50mV is extremely low. If I recall, the signalling on the VL Tone was close to 3V or so.

Sorry for not having a ton of info for you.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Hey John,

Thanks for that. Will try a bit more and report back.

I am planning to also use the board with some other keyboards so hopefully not all is lost

Tags
casio, vl tone