Highly Liquid Forum facebook twitter google plus rss feed
Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Midi Foot Controller/Looper with presets

Hi,

I was hoping to get some direction to see if I'm in the right place. I have limited midi/relay bypass experience, but have plenty of electronics experience to hopefully get me through this project. I'm asking for a lot, but I would either want all or nothing on this.

I want to build a midi controlled looper (similar to iPatch in some ways), and a midi foot controller to control it. I will assemble the unit in one enclosure. For the sake of making it easier to plan, I've broke it down to two main sections. The foot controller and the looper.

Midi Foot Controller
I want to build foot controller that will send midi messages that are preprogrammed into patches. These patches will tell the looper what pedals to use. It will also need to send midi CCs to a few of my pedals that accept them. I would like a way to program everything into a single preset that will be assigned to a specific footswitch. It will need an LCD to show the current bank, the preset that is selected, and to allow me to edit the midi presets. So, I would need enough memory to store many presets that may send up to 40 midi CCs at once. I would prefer to edit these presets on the controller rather than on a computer.

Midi Looper/Switcher
This would be similar to iPatch, but customized for my board. I have a few pedals that are stereo that go out to two guitar amps. At the end of the signal chain, I would need a transformer isolated A/B/Y that could be controlled by midi. Most of the time I use both amps, but sometimes only want a specific one.

I would need 12 mono send/returns, 1 mono send with a stereo return, and 2 stereo send/returns. I would have a buffer connected to one of the earlier mono send/returns, so I would prefer the unit to be true bypass. More often than not, multiple loops would be activated at once by the midi foot controller.

Please let me know if this is possible with the Highly Liquid boards. Would I need multiple MSA-Ts and a Midi CPU to pull it off? If so, how would I add the memory for presets and add an LCD display for presets, banks and midi editing?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM

Hi Facon, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facon View Post
Hi,

I was hoping to get some direction to see if I'm in the right place. I have limited midi/relay bypass experience, but have plenty of electronics experience to hopefully get me through this project. I'm asking for a lot, but I would either want all or nothing on this.
HL products can't provide everything on your list. I'll highlight the issues that might come about:

Quote:
Midi Foot Controller
I want to build foot controller that will send midi messages that are preprogrammed into patches. These patches will tell the looper what pedals to use. It will also need to send midi CCs to a few of my pedals that accept them. I would like a way to program everything into a single preset that will be assigned to a specific footswitch. It will need an LCD to show the current bank, the preset that is selected, and to allow me to edit the midi presets. So, I would need enough memory to store many presets that may send up to 40 midi CCs at once. I would prefer to edit these presets on the controller rather than on a computer.
There is no LCD support at this time, so that will be a problem. There are options for LED output, however.

The MIDI CPU also does not provide a mechanism for learning complex behaviors (like long strings of MIDI messages) without using a computer.

A better approach might be to use a chain of MSAs to "memorize" the preset states. (The MSA has built-in preset functionality--check out the user manual.)

Then, the MIDI CPU can simply send single MIDI messages to recall and store the presets.

However, you'd still have trouble generating 40 MIDI messages from the MIDI CPU for consumption by the pedals with MIDI inputs, in response to a single switch event.